PDA

View Full Version : cholesterol test after 10 months of paleo

Jordan Glasser
02-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Unfortunately the results are given in mmol/L (millimoles per Liter)
Most of the data uses mg/dl (milligrams per deciliter)

Results: [x] x=recommended ranges

Cholesterol 4.2 [3.8-5.2]
HDL 2.7 [0.9-1.6]
Trigylcerides *<.12 [0.6-2.3]

LDL Cholesterol (calc) *<.12 [2.0-3.4]

Chol/HDL 1.6 [<5.3]

*= repeated
apparently they had to repeat the test. They didn't believe the results were accurate, so they re-tested.

Fasting Glucose 4.8 [3.6-6.0]

I am curious what those numbers are in mm/dl.

I will look up how to convert those figures in a bit, but I am running low on time......

I took the test for a couple of reasons. One, to ensure I was positively impacting my health. Two, so that I have a clear conscience recommending a low carb, high fat, moderate protein paleo approach to diet.

Mike ODonnell
02-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Nicely done!

Allen Yeh
02-12-2008, 05:08 AM
Do you have numbers before you started Paleo?

Ari Kestler
02-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Were you 100% paleo? 80% paleo? Cheats?

Just wondering so I can compare it to my paleo - paleo kitchen, 2-3 alcoholic beverages a week, sushi 1 maybe 2x a week (though mostly sashimi), dairy randomly in a cheat meal, at most 1x week, grass fed butter frequently, espresso daily...

Jordan Glasser
02-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Were you 100% paleo? 80% paleo? Cheats?

Just wondering so I can compare it to my paleo - paleo kitchen, 2-3 alcoholic beverages a week, sushi 1 maybe 2x a week (though mostly sashimi), dairy randomly in a cheat meal, at most 1x week, grass fed butter frequently, espresso daily...

100% is a tough, because there were times I thought I was 100%, but found items that I was eating wasn't entirely paleo. But, as far as cheats go, they are extremely rare. I have had alcohol a handful of times in 10 months. I could easily count them on both hands. Cheat meals, again, rarely. And usually it's not like I'm having pizza, it's more like the salmon I ordered at a restaurant had ingredients in the marinade that I know weren't paleo.

The foods I've eaten that aren't paleo, but have done so by choice:
Raw cocoa beans- I would use it regularly for a few weeks, and then not at all for around a month.
Pea protein: I used 1 tub, in 10 months.
whey protein: went through around 3 tubs in 10 months

It would also be important to note, that for the first 5 months or so I was eating grainfed beef, but have been 100% grassfed ever since.

For the rest of the time, I eat nothing but paleo foods.

Do you have numbers before you started Paleo?

I wish I did! I did have blood tests done a few years back, however, none of them gave my cholesterol levels:( I can't imagine them being great. I grew up a grainfed starch junky. Bread was my favorite food!

Craig Van De Walker
02-16-2008, 08:16 AM
I can see why they re-tested, tri and LDL, by my figures you had:
total 164, 4.2x39
HDL 105, 2.7x39
tri 11, 0.12x89
LDL 5, 0.12x39
Gluc 86, 4.8x18

Jordan Glasser
02-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Craig, thanks for converting the figures.

Robb Wolf
02-19-2008, 04:41 PM
It's a little perplexing...LDL< HDL should result in...death! I think somehting is a little squirly with the test.

Jordan Glasser
02-19-2008, 09:18 PM
It's a little perplexing...LDL< HDL should result in...death! I think somehting is a little squirly with the test.

That is why they retested. But, they said....all was good. With the test, that is. Should I be concerned?

Mike ODonnell
02-20-2008, 07:10 AM
That is why they retested. But, they said....all was good. With the test, that is. Should I be concerned?

I would be concerned if no doctor was able to point out that are a walking zombie according to those numbers.

"No Heartbeat? Great results....pulse is low...and your chance of heart disease just went down....you passed your physical.....although may need a little more sun, looking pale..."

Allen Yeh
02-20-2008, 08:47 AM

whoah