PDA

View Full Version : Hydroponic Vegetables

Patrick Donnelly
02-11-2008, 06:05 PM
I was watching a good old Steven Seagal movie this weekend on TV when an infomercial came on, advertising an indoor, hydroponic garden (I forget the thing's name). It was far too small for anyone who eats vegetables regularly (ie. us), but it made me wonder... Could you build a moderate sized hydroponic garden (say 2'x4') indoors and grow your own high-quality vegetables? There'd be no fungi, pesticides, or concerns of the vegetables quality, since you would do it all yourself, and it would be a relatively clean and easy process.

It's food for thought.

Jordan Glasser
02-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Hmmm..... my first thought.....no natural sunlight.

Mike ODonnell
02-12-2008, 07:09 AM
You lost me at "Steven Seagal movie"

Patrick Donnelly
02-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Hmmm..... my first thought.....no natural sunlight.

Would that make a difference? If so, could you just use some sort of lamp? I'm no botanist, so I really have no idea.

Derek Simonds
02-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Am I the only one who remembers knowing of people in college who used grow lamps for exactly that purpose, well maybe not necessarily vegetables. :D

Seriously if you google grow lamps and hydroponics I think you will be overwhelmed with the results. Be careful that you stick to the table fare. ;)

Jordan Glasser
02-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Would that make a difference? If so, could you just use some sort of lamp? I'm no botanist, so I really have no idea.

A lot of what I've come to realize with our food chain is this. The more we change from what nature intended us to eat, the further away from health we get.
Can artificial light imitate natural light? The answer is yes. And I'm sure science can back it up. But, I am sure it is not the same as the sun. It can't be.

Is it bad for you? I can't answer that. But it wouldn't be my first choice. Having said that, it could be a better alternative, depending on your situation.

Patrick Donnelly
02-13-2008, 05:36 AM
Re: Derek
That must have been some damn good broccoli.

Re: Jordan
I'll have to do some research into that this weekend; feel free to take a look for yourself, too.

Patrick Donnelly
02-16-2008, 08:02 AM
I haven't found anything suggesting negative effects on plants from artificial lights. However, certain plants absorb specific spectra of light and have preferences to the amount of light/dark they get each day, so you have to pick a good, white, light, and have it running for only certain hours.