PDA

View Full Version : shoulder pain during jerk

Dave Paton
02-12-2008, 07:13 PM
3 years ago i separated my shoulder. I really can't jerk without aggravating it. A sharp than dull pain will last about 5 minutes. a push press is fine, bench press, pullup...all ok. but the jerk is a no good. anyone have ideas on how to get around this?

sarena kopciel
02-12-2008, 07:17 PM
3 years ago i separated my shoulder. I really can't jerk without aggravating it. A sharp than dull pain will last about 5 minutes. a push press is fine, bench press, pullup...all ok. but the jerk is a no good. anyone have ideas on how to get around this?

Is the pain the same if you PJ from the back?

Dave Paton
02-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Sarena,

Any kind of jerk is what aggravates it. i think it's from the "violence" of the jerk. however, a split jerk bothers it more. i am thinking there's not much I can do to help it. i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas...

Garrett Smith
02-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Dave,
Have you tried split jerking with the other foot forward to see if there is any change?

Also, whatever Greg Everett says about it, definitely listen to it. He helped me get rid of my A/C joint (where shoulders get separated) pain from OLing in one simple suggestion--retraction before elevation of the scapula.

Maybe PM him to look at this thread?

Greg Everett
02-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Is your mobility 100%, or are you simply avoiding a certain ROM in the push press that you're forced to hit in the jerk?

Dave Paton
02-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Greg,

my mobility is fine. i go to full extension with the press, and it doesn't hurt. i tried jerking again on Thursday, and the problem was still there. Any ideas would be great.

Greg Everett
02-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Without seeing the jerk and overhead position, I can't suggest much. Can you post a video?

Dave Paton
02-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Greg,

I don't have a cam corder, but I will try to borrow one. i was testing my shoulder again today and i noticed that a behind the neck jerk was not nearly as painful as a normal jerk. Unfortunately, later on in my workout I missed a clean and slammed my elbow on my knee and really crushed my wrist. I am pretty concerned about it. It's not swollen and doesn't throb or anything, but shooting pains are present if i move it around. I guess i am hijacking my own thread. i guess when it rains, it pours.

Dave Paton
02-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Well, i solved my shoulder problem during the jerk. could you believe it was technique??? hahaha.

i was fooling around with behind the neck jerks and they felt great. so then i realized what the difference was. i wasn't getting far enough forward during the regular jerk, so the bar was ending up too far out in front of me. that was where the real strain was. when i concentrated on really getting under and forward on the bar, the bar was then behind me more and problem was solved. however, i think i need to ease in with some lighter weight for a while until i really get the technique down.

Garrett Smith
02-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Nice detective work, Dave!