PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and Insulin Response

Greg Davis
02-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Any thoughts on which types of alcoholic drinks would elicit the least insulin response?

ie. if you were going to have more than a few drinks which type would cause the least insulin release.. (if were talking 1-2 drinks than i have no problem with wine/beer etc.)

I would guess some sorts of hard liquor on the rocks type of drinks...

Steve Liberati
02-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Tequila and diet cokes. Tequila is made from a plant, unlike most alcohol which is grain based. On the rocks with lime (best bet) or with diet coke for taste.

John Alston
02-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Diet coke? for taste?
OK, sorry... but wasn't there also just a post somewhere about how diet drinks elicit the same level of response as their sugared ones? Try Art Devany's site (blocked for me at work).
Straigh vodka. Ice cold. No need for mixer.

Steve Liberati
02-13-2008, 03:20 PM
yeah diet coke. Not a big fan but calorie/sugar to taste ratio is pretty low, at least compared to other sodas.
vodka? ha.
Here's vodka story: "Vodka may be distilled from any starch/sugar-rich plant matter; most vodka today is produced from grains such as sorghum, corn, rye or wheat. Among grain vodkas, rye and wheat vodkas are generally considered superior. Some vodka is made from potatoes, molasses, soybeans, grapes, sugar beets and sometimes even byproducts of oil refining or wood pulp processing."

Based on those products alone, I would think vodka would be a poor choice if one is worried about insulin response.

Greg Everett
02-13-2008, 03:35 PM
The initial insulin response to sweet-tastes in the absence of calories may be comparable to something with calories (this is a preparatory release), but without any calories, the second pulse to handle the actual blood glucose won't be there, so you're still ahead of the game with sweet, calorie-free drinks. Of course, you're still better off without anything.

Tequila shots are the best choice. Plus they're likely to encourage fighting, so you get your training in too!

Steve Liberati
02-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Tequila shots are the best choice. Plus they're likely to encourage fighting, so you get your training in too!

ha! thats hilarious right there. Although some people look for trouble to happen before they drink, and then use the alcohol as an excuse afterwards.

John Alston
02-13-2008, 04:12 PM
If one is worrying about insulin response when considering drinking vodka or anyother likkker, then the spike is the least of the problems!

sarena kopciel
02-13-2008, 06:10 PM
No wonder why on NY when they party its tequila tabata shots!! Oh I meant squats!! Truly!

Mike ODonnell
02-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Beer is a great pwo drink!

Other times....my vote is a bottle of wine....costs $2.50 a TJs and easy to drink.

Shots get me in trouble.....good and bad......

John Alston
02-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Wine, yeah, and more health benefits, too, if we're caring.
Time for some nice tawny port.

David Aguasca
02-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Tequila shots are the best choice.

they sure are. but make sure it's 100% Agave. anything that isn't 100% Agave is not tequila.

Jose Cuervo Especial is NOT tequila. you'll have to spend a little more money for the good stuff...i recommend Cazadores Reposado. it's pretty mellow, 100% agave, and isn't nearly as expensive as any of the Patrón tequila varietes.

Yuen Sohn
02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Other times....my vote is a bottle of wine....costs $2.50 a TJs and easy to drink.
My vote's for Franzia premium boxed Merlot (a.k.a. "headache-in-a-box"). I'm a man of high standards.

Greg Davis
02-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Wine, yeah, and more health benefits, too, if we're caring.
Time for some nice tawny port.

Surely several glasses of wine would have an insulin response much greater than several shots of liquor (ie. tequila or vodka).

Mike ODonnell
02-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Surely several glasses of wine would have an insulin response much greater than several shots of liquor (ie. tequila or vodka).

Wine is not the same as grape juice, as all the juice has fermented into alcohol. It's like 2.5g of carbs per 5oz serving. Compare that to beer at around 13g or light beer around 5g per 12oz. Liquor is just alcohol, no carbs.

If you look at the calorie content, wine is about 100cal per 5oz, Beer is 150/100 (reg/light) per 12oz and liquor (gin, vodka) is 100cal per 1.5fl oz.

The fact that Beer gives me more energy....and wine puts me to sleep...makes me believe there is no real insulin response to wine. That and I never heard of anyone having a "wine belly". Alcohol on the otherhand I just end up dancing with women I shouldn't be dancing with...so that doesn't do anyone any good.

Scott Kustes
02-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Here's something interesting (http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29977.asp)
Intriguingly, the liver also deals with blood sugar levels. But because alcohol is a toxin, the liver always gives preference to alcohol before it worries about blood sugar. So if you had a high blood sugar level for some reason, it would stay high until the alcohol was all processed.

Anyone know if that's true?

Garrett Smith
02-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Scott,
I'd like to see where she got the science to support that statement. Until I saw some research on it, I'd say it is pure conjecture.

The liver has multiple pathways for dealing with maintenance of blood sugar and detoxification. As far as I know, neither of these pathways overlap at all. The liver is always multitasking, it has to!

Anyway, for the lowest insulin response with liquor, I'd say first go with hard liquor. To be closest to Paleo-ish, I'd say tequila. Being as I stopped drinking alcohol completely, I don't have to worry about this anymore.

I have noticed my craving for carbs has gone up noticeably since I stopped drinking. I'm definitely a lot less fun at weddings...

John Alston
02-14-2008, 11:00 AM

I was talking about the anti-oxidants and stuff.

Honestly, we're talking about booze here. Get you effin' drink on however you like it.

Mike ODonnell
02-14-2008, 12:57 PM
I really don't think there is much if any insulin response with wine....cause your blood sugar is not going to go overboard with 2.5g carbs a glass.

Of course my drink of choice is Guinness as well....but have come across the Unibroue brewery from Quebec...and their La Fin Du Monde is spectacular! (and 9% alc)

Jordan Glasser
02-14-2008, 09:25 PM
this debate seems to surface every now and again. Regardless of facts, we all want to know more or less the same thing. And that is, if I'm going to cheat/get drunk, what is the best way to do the least damage?

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of hard evidence out there.

Here's what I've done.
Don't add sugar to your alcohol. vodka soda, whiskey on the rocks, tequilla shots, wine, etc.....
Stick to alcohols that you can tolerate. I don't drink beer often, but can feel it the next day after just a pint. But, 8 shots of vodka later, I still have a pretty good chance to function at a high level sans hangover.
If you're going to cheat, get drunk and forget about it. I think that most of the damage would occur by shocking our liver, not overworking our pancreas and becoming insulin resistant. Unless you plan on drinking a lot fairly regularly, if so, you'll be swimming up stream regardless.

Since most of the responses have been subjective, I would have to believe that there is a fair bit of insulin response from alcohol. The handful of times of been drunk on a low carb regiment, I've seen a nice little glycogen boast for workouts that have followed.

Yael Grauer
02-15-2008, 12:33 AM
cask-conditioned ale

Greg Davis
02-15-2008, 06:58 AM
ive heard people talk about it before but mostly in terms of "least damage" or antioxidants. the way i look at it is im not too worried about the effects on the liver, hormones, etc. cuz i think i can deal with that. but if im basing my whole approach to health/fitness around insulin sensitivity (as i suspect many of you are) then its worth spending some time thinking about this.

Jordan Glasser
02-15-2008, 07:53 AM
ive heard people talk about it before but mostly in terms of "least damage" or antioxidants. the way i look at it is im not too worried about the effects on the liver, hormones, etc. cuz i think i can deal with that. but if im basing my whole approach to health/fitness around insulin sensitivity (as i suspect many of you are) then its worth spending some time thinking about this.

I don't know how the knowledge or thinking about this will really help. Meaning, if I told you, for expample, that "moonshine" was been proven to had only 1 gram of sugar per glass. The lowest insulin spike of all alcohols, and the most antioxidants. Does that give you cart blanche to drink alot of it? Getting drunk, and doing in frequently will have a negative impact on the body, no matter how much, or how little the insulin spike is. Is there a debate in that?

As for your personally, are you not worried about the effect of on the liver and hormones because of your infrequent use, or are you just no worried about it.

I believe these are the scenarios.
If the user is having an occasional drink, there is some info out there.
If the user is having many drinks, once in a while..... then go for it. WHole wheat crust pizza, with artichokes, goats cheese, and olives? Or meat lover's from dominoes? I don't think it makes a difference once in a while.
If the user wants to have many drinks frequently, it's not good for you, either way! Regardless of what alcohol has less of an insulin response.

So all the info and thinking would lead the user down the same health path. IMO

Mike ODonnell
02-15-2008, 09:26 AM
alcohol was never the issue...*cough*.....it was all the EATING I did at 3am that probably had the worse effect back in college!!

Mmmmmmm.....Subway Tuna Melts at 3am.....god knows how much business they did between midnight and 3am....I can't even tell you if they were open during the day.