PDA

View Full Version : Book

Dave Paton
02-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Does anyone have the "Wrestling Physical Conditioning Encyclopedia" talked about by Dan John in this article?

http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_recent/recovery_methods_101

It's out of print and very difficult to find.

James Evans
02-27-2008, 06:18 AM
Dave, funnily enough I did a quick search for it last week and got a couple of results from Amazon etc.

Trouble is one of the sellers wanted something like $150 for it. Not sure what edition it was. There was one from 1987 I think. 4.95 then, 70+ now.

I've always heard brilliant thinks about the book but that's just stupid money.

Although a bargain compared to a Matt Furey book!

Jason Steele
02-28-2008, 10:46 AM
I found the same thing, high prices, no availability. Then I looked at colleges in the area, found it, checked it out via interlibrary loan. Then something happened when I walked near a Xerox machine, and I have a "copy" of it now (it is officially out of print BTW). It is a great resource and illustrates that there are few "groundbreaking new" ideas coming about.

Dave Paton
02-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Is it copyright infringement to put the book on pdf and post them to this site????!!!!

Jason Steele
02-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Something makes me say "Probably not a good idea". I do know that if it has been a certain amount of time it becomes public domain. Will look into it.

James Evans
02-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah, but you're talking 50 years minimum. That's why nobody owns the rights to the works of Charles Dickens and publishers can put out copies of Oliver Twist for 1.

I would suggest PMs are the place for any further discussion of internet piracy...

Jason Steele
02-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Technically, there is no talk of internet piracy, per se, just idle conjecture about copyright laws...

Dan Heaney
03-01-2008, 06:24 AM
I have a copy in mint condition!!! You need to find a wrestling coach who has been doing it for years and see if they have a copy in their library.

James Evans
03-03-2008, 05:54 AM
I have a copy in mint condition!!! You need to find a wrestling coach who has been doing it for years and see if they have a copy in their library.

Should I infer from the above that your wrestling coach no longer has a copy in their library?

Dave Paton
08-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I finally got my hands on this book through an inter-library loan. It's a great book and makes you remember that nothing in S & C is new. Maybe I could start a cert for this book??????

Yuen Sohn
08-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Dave,
I'm interested in this book as well. Did you by any chance inquire about buying the book from this site?
http://www.superstrengthbooks.com/john_jesse.html

At $44.95 (plus taxes + shipping), it's not exactly cheap, but seems more reasonable than paying $165 get it from some Amazon.com re-seller.

Dave Paton
08-21-2008, 09:29 AM
I did see that website before but did not inquire. However, If I were you, i would see if i could get it at a library first to browse it over and then decide if i wanted to buy it. even $45 is a little steep in my opininon.

Craig Brown
08-21-2008, 09:32 AM
I like this book a lot. While (like any book in the age of the internet) it is far from 'necessary', it is pretty cool to see just a ton of cool ideas.