PDA

View Full Version : Greg-Thanks

Jay Cohen
02-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Iíve enjoyed training, viewing and learning from your site along with the great people that post. I also subscribe to the PM Journal, which I find very helpful, informative and improves the quality of my life.

I started out mostly on the CF site, but over the last 6 months have drifted away as some of the WODís werenít where I was heading; yet I did enjoy the Vids along with most of the posts.

As of today, I doubt very much Iíll be viewing any of the Vids or contributing (what little I did) to the boards. CF posted a pretty strange Vid today, staring one of the CF groupies. Only watched a minute of it, too weird. The other day it was walking up steps on hands, or Buddy doing his world famous jump rope work, all which means nothing to me, nor can I relate. The post quality has become ridiculous.

I come back to your site, solid Metcon WODS, great Oly program, and solid basic Vids that are easy to follow, well laid out, and no fluff.

So, I sincerely appreciate you keeping the site at a very professional level, your sense of humor and well, thatís about it.

If youíre uncomfortable with this post, as I reference CF, understand if you delete.

It was good meeting you in DC, hope to train with you again.

Jay

Steve Liberati
02-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Keeping my .02 out of it, one thing is for certain...people take their fitness and nutrition beliefs to heart. I'm saying this as a good thing. Goes to show how much people care (although there are many more who don't) and how important fitness is to one's overall health and mental well-being. I bet their is a direct relationship between how much one cares about something and they're level of sensitivity. Just my observation.

Jamila Bey
02-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Good folks here. Good advice here. Good science here.

Plus, everyone's got a great sense of humor.

Allen Yeh
02-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Plus, everyone's got a great sense of humor.

Take that back!

Patrick Donnelly
02-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Re: Jay
I agree that the videos have been ridiculous; they have been ever since they "upgraded" to one-a-day. Does anyone else remember when they were a neat surprise, and not a daily occurrence? I haven't even been there that long, and I can remember it. Recently, there's been demos that included a broken finger from falling during bar-to-bar kipping pull-ups, two tires for jumps stupidly stacked ontop of a soft gymnastics mat, the introduction of the "squat thrust" (a burpee without the push-up or jump, but with 10x more lumbar hyperextension), far too many attempts to play off the rep schemes of benchmark WODs for comparisons, and the endorsement of the kipping push-up.

I didn't watch the video from 2/15/2008, feeling sure that it'd be creepy, but now that I know it's creepy, I've got to watch it. Haha.

Edit: ... and CrossFitters wonder why people see it as such a cult.

Mike ODonnell
02-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Jay,

Trust me when I say that I know what you are going through....just find your own workout style...learn from others...apply what matters to you....don't worry about things that do not...and help others along the way. Walking up stairs on hands....ah, sounds like something cool to try one day....jumproping, not my cup of tea...but that's ok. Groupies? Well if I had a band I would welcome them! :)

If you choose not to contribute to or view a particular site anymore...then do it without any negative feelings...know that you have found a path more suited to what you want your health and fitness lifestyle to be and just go forward with it. A zen master would say there is no right way...there is no wrong way....just whatever way you decide to take right now. Everything evolves and changes in life...just a part of nature.

Wow...that was way too deep...Jamila will be upset about the lack of fart jokes in there...

Paul Findley
02-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the PM wod. Not posting to the blog, but doing and enjoying it.

Aimee Anaya Everett
02-16-2008, 01:24 PM
mike... "If you choose not to contribute to or view a particular site anymore...then do it without any negative feelings..."
thank you for saying that.

Despite any feelings we have towards other certain forums, sites, or WOD's, or "fitness" companies, let's make sure we play nice here.

I don't want our forum to be known as one to bash or bad mouth other sites. Feel free to speak your mind, but don't let it get out of control.

about that video that ya'll are mentioning, i too was embarrassed to watch it.

Jay, welcome, and I am glad that you have found a good thing here with us. We will not delete a post until it gets offensive or hits an extreme level of negativity about anyone we try and consider "friends". We don't want any thread to become a bitching session about others. We all joke, and cuss, and have fun while discussing our irritations or happy thoughts. and that is fine.

anyway, we are happy to have new-comers, so tell your friends!

Greg Everett
02-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Aimee got to it before I could - We appreciate the positive feedback on this site, but I want to be careful to prevent it from becoming a repository for complaints regarding others. Those complaints are best directed to the folks in question--they're the ones who have the power to make changes as a result of community influence. I assure you, they don't listen to me.

Garrett Smith
02-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Long live the PMenu forum.

sarena kopciel
02-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks. I have made "friends" and gained a lot of wisdom and knowledge here.

Steven Low
02-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Feel free to delete if I get too out of line.

Basically, the CF boards are very diluted now especially with a huge influx of new people. Same questions pop up like every other day, heh. Although it's true that these are some of the people in need of the most help (which is why I am posting a lot in general on CF now.. although I'm starting to phase myself out). If there was an large influx of people on PMenu you'd probably see a lot of dilution as the general knowledge base drops unfortunately. That's pretty much true of any forum. I'm glad that that hasn't happened here because I enjoy the high quality discussions. Well, that and it also helps that Greg is an active force on the forums as opposed to not a lot of high quality coaching on the CF forums or at least elite CFers contributing but that may be another topic altogether.

Anyway, I love you guys. :)

Kevin Perry
02-16-2008, 10:25 PM
This has become my favorite fitness site and has helped me find the sports in fitness that I enjoy most: Oly lifting and just recently Gymnastics. I personally have no issues with CF but it is true that the quality of the topics in the discussion boards has gotton pretty low which is why I don't spend much time there.

Anyways, You can't go wrong with the quality of knowledge and support available from all the experts here at the PMenu.

You guys rock.

Mike ODonnell
02-17-2008, 10:25 AM
mike... "If you choose not to contribute to or view a particular site anymore...then do it without any negative feelings..."
thank you for saying that.

Despite any feelings we have towards other certain forums, sites, or WOD's, or "fitness" companies, let's make sure we play nice here.

God knows I can rant like the next person...and have (and still do sometimes)...but really found it never brought anything positive into my life....any group will have people excited to be part of anything new and go at with 100% conviction...at some point everyone finds their own way which may not always be the path they started on. Not every fitness company, site, forum, book, etc will be what I would want it to be...but I take what is good...and leave the rest behind.

The PMenu is the only forum I contribute to anymore, I believe in quality first...and the discussions and people here are top notch.

Garrett Smith
02-17-2008, 12:33 PM
This is definitely a group of early adopters...very similar to the CF forums 2-3-4 years ago.

Enjoy it while it lasts, folks, because it is really great right now and nothing lasts forever!

Robert McBee
02-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Re: Quality of CF Msg. board content. Most of the 'old timers' are affiliates now and the CF Msg. board has an 'Affiliate' section only visible to, you guessed it, affiliates. Don't be so quick to look down your nose at the rest of the forums though. Like Stephen L. pointed out, while helpful to newbies, it gets tiresome explaining the merits of kipping pullups over and over but he's been trying his best. Steve-o!

David Aguasca
02-17-2008, 05:53 PM
i don't think i'm really adding much to this thread with my comments, but i rarely do this kind of thing anyway.

it's always a pleasure to visit these forums. as has been mentioned, they are not crowded, and the questions asked are always real good ones.

thanks to greg and everyone else.

Aimee Anaya Everett
02-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Enjoy it while it lasts, folks, because it is really great right now and nothing lasts forever!

well we hope to keep the quality and the greatness as long as we are running. I doubt greg would ever let things spiral out of control or out of quality content.

glad to hear so much positive feedback!

sarena kopciel
02-18-2008, 04:55 AM
well we hope to keep the quality and the greatness as long as we are running. I doubt greg would ever let things spiral out of control or out of quality content.

glad to hear so much positive feedback!

Awesome and best of wishes for Columbus. Go get em girl!! You rock!

Jonathan Owen
02-19-2008, 12:46 AM
I just wanted to echo everyone else's sentiment about this forum. Personally, I have received substantial benefit from the forum and P-Menu in the nutritional area; although, I am left feeling like a gorilla after most of the in-depth posts. The advice here has really helped me make huge progress. Thanks!

Jane Michel
02-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Well, that and it also helps that Greg is an active force on the forums as opposed to not a lot of high quality coaching on the CF forums or at least elite CFers contributing but that may be another topic altogether.

Agreed that this forum is of high quality because of posts from Greg and other experienced athletes as opposed to a big "echo chamber" (in Brandon Oto's words). Thanks to these people for spending time giving advice and to other people for bothering to use the search function.