PDA

View Full Version : Stature effects max pullups

Derek Simonds
02-17-2008, 07:33 AM
I saw this on Stumptuous today

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/stumptuousblog.php

And speaking of form and function...

...looks like the shorties are finally getting a break, at least when it comes to pullups.

Sekerak RJ, Zimmermann KP. "Chin-up strength tests: does stature matter?" Journal of Sports and Medicine in Physical Fitness, vol. 48 no. 1 (March 2008):37-42. Link to abstract

Abstract: Many organizations place high value on employee physical fitness and use standardized physical fitness tests (PFT) to quantify it. The chin-up strength test is an example of such a test. Participants' anecdotal reports raise some concern that the latter is inherently biased against tall individuals. A demonstration that tall individuals are less likely than short individuals to achieve maximum score on a chin-up strength test, and modified scoring tables that equalize this likelihood across the stature range are sought. Statistical analysis shows that short individuals are more likely to achieve maximum chin-up test scores.

Link to the abstract

Posted: February 6, 2008 9:05 am (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18212708?ordinalpos=70&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum)

I knew it all along. But I am not going to let it stand in my way. No Siree. I am well into my Ranger Leo pullup program! Thanks again for that Leo.

Steven Low
02-17-2008, 08:38 AM
lol, Derek of course your super height will have to work harder. ;)

Really? So shorter individuals don't have a greater strength to bodyweight ratio and thus a higher potential endurance? Wow, didn't know that.

Can't really believe they're just figuring that out now...

Derek Simonds
02-18-2008, 05:31 AM
I shall print the abstract and always keep that in my back pocket while working out. :D

Mike ODonnell
02-18-2008, 08:28 AM
I challenge anyone to a chin up contest....if they are 5'2" and under...and the bar is 6'1" high. :)

Blair Lowe
03-09-2008, 11:59 PM
I'd take that challenge but my pullups numbers are fairly low right now.

It would make more sense to use a ratio that is based on height and weight. If a 6 foot 150 pound guys does 10 PU, does it equal a 6 foot 230 pound guy? Methinks, not.