PDA

View Full Version : ZMA reccomendations ?

Sam Cannons
02-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Any brands poke out above the rest ?

Tony Ferous
02-19-2008, 06:41 PM
I usually stick with brands i know and trust, i dont really know about the quality of Australian brands, but i do know they are expensive!
I order ZMA from iherb.com, twinlab brand, cheaper even with shipping costs.

Mike ODonnell
02-19-2008, 06:50 PM
check vitacost.com, they usually are cheap. I go with the RSI "brand name" from their site, it's the same amounts as you see in the other brands....and most brands like EAS and TwinLab are usually coming from the same sources anyways.....it's all marketing on most products.

Steve Liberati
02-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Usually order from iherb.com as recommended from Robb Wolf. Prices and service are always in good fashion.
Tried both twinlab and NOW but honestly could not tell the difference. Doubt there is much of a difference in brand for ZMA.

Sam Cannons
02-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Ari Kestler
02-20-2008, 06:05 AM
Anyone sleep worse with ZMA? Crazy dreams aside, after taking this for two weeks I found that I was waking up less well-rested than before, or no change. It didn't help that I was having a particularly stressful 2 weeks and doing a lot of CF workouts with little recovery, but still...

Mike ODonnell
02-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Anyone sleep worse with ZMA? Crazy dreams aside, after taking this for two weeks I found that I was waking up less well-rested than before, or no change. It didn't help that I was having a particularly stressful 2 weeks and doing a lot of CF workouts with little recovery, but still...

All day stress, exercise and no recovery will never be cured by a pill.....so try again when you are doing less damage to yourself. I only notice improvements....but if I am stressed out at night chances are that I don't care what I take, I will not sleep well.

Allen Yeh
02-20-2008, 08:43 AM
I liked the Biotest ZMA, though since they raised it from 9.99 to 14.99 I've been looking at other brands like NOW ZMA which you can find on Iherb.com for ~$9-$10. I'd check the labels and make sure you get the right stuff.

Zinc as monomethionine and aspartate- 30mg
Magnesium as aspartate - ~400+ mg
Vitamin B6 - ~10g

If you look in the archives there is a 10 page thread about ZMA which is where I originally got the recommendation of the Biotest ZMA.

Garrett Smith
02-20-2008, 09:16 AM
I find I need a lot more zinc than in "simple" ZMA.

Personally, I'm taking 100+ mg of zinc (sulfate) a day, along with 600+ mg of magnesium (citrate, as "Natural Calm").

John Alston
02-20-2008, 09:17 AM

I can't take any Mg supps close to bed time or else I get terrible sleep. Since I ended up taking ZMA in the day, I stopped buying it and now try to get good multi-minerals or something.

Garrett Smith
02-20-2008, 12:23 PM
John,
I have anyone who doesn't sleep well with Mg close to bed simply take it in the morning. I personally didn't sleep well with it taken close to bed, combined with having to get up to pee it was just a bad combo for me. I take mine in the morning--if there is one mineral worth athletes supplementing, IMO it is magnesium.

Yael Grauer
03-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Strange; it always helps me sleep better.

Garrett Smith
03-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Yael,
My theory on why some people don't sleep well on extra magnesium is this.

Magnesium is necessary for muscles (hence nervous system) to relax.

Some of us are in a constant state of tension all day, due to stresses of whatever sort--this constant tension uses a lot of energy.

Once someone like this takes magnesium, their whole system relaxes. Boom, there's a ton of energy available to be used for any purpose.

Problem is, then one has high energy levels and is now trying to go to sleep!

That's the theory, anyway...

sarena kopciel
03-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Yael,
My theory on why some people don't sleep well on extra magnesium is this.

Magnesium is necessary for muscles (hence nervous system) to relax.

Some of us are in a constant state of tension all day, due to stresses of whatever sort--this constant tension uses a lot of energy.

Once someone like this takes magnesium, their whole system relaxes. Boom, there's a ton of energy available to be used for any purpose.

Problem is, then one has high energy levels and is now trying to go to sleep!

That's the theory, anyway...

Dr. G, So based upon that theory along with overtraining, should I switch my magnesium intake to early in the day as well?

Garrett Smith
03-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Sarena,
It is absolutely worth a try!

sarena kopciel
03-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Sarena,
It is absolutely worth a try!

off for my natural calm "tea" as we speak.....