PDA

View Full Version : Meat - a compromise.

chris hill
02-20-2008, 05:10 AM
I have all but given up on my search for grass fed beef and pastured chicken here in the uk. Sure, its available, but at a price that i can not afford and by mail order only. This would mean purchasing another freezer, due to the large quantites requited for each order, thus increasing my power usage and adding to the ever busy road networks. As you can see i'm trying to consider more than just me and as so am prepared to compromise from the perfect solution.

My currently favoured alternative is locally reared cattle, pigs, chickens and turkey. All guaranteed free from growth hormones and anti biotics, plus the cattle and pigs are fed crops that are pestiside free and are grown on the same farm.

After all that my simple question is, is that the best compromise? Is there anything (other than its not grass fed) i may be missing?

Thanks in advance

Mike ODonnell
02-20-2008, 07:08 AM
I'd say locally grown is going to give you some better meat if the farm is smaller and they actually take care of their cows. Grassfed's benefits include more Omega 3s EFAs and CLA (as well as a healthy cow). Sick cows = sick meat. If you are eating regular grain fed cows that are healthy, then stick to lower fat pieces (less omega 6s) and take some fish oil (omega 3).