PDA

View Full Version : Halitosis

David Mathews
02-20-2008, 09:45 AM
My wife has jumped on the paleoish/low carb bandwagon with me and in 2 months has lost close to 30lbs of fat.She does xfit and her performance has really improved and her recent bloodwork was tremendous with nearly everything improving.However, she has problems with her breath being bad and I can't seem to correlate it with any particular food or other practices.I don't think she is low carb enough to be in ketosis.Any ideas?

Ari Kestler
02-20-2008, 12:20 PM
My wife has jumped on the paleoish/low carb bandwagon with me and in 2 months has lost close to 30lbs of fat.She does xfit and her performance has really improved and her recent bloodwork was tremendous with nearly everything improving.However, she has problems with her breath being bad and I can't seem to correlate it with any particular food or other practices.I don't think she is low carb enough to be in ketosis.Any ideas?

How many carbs does she consume a day? It's entirely possible... you can get keto strips that you can pee on to see...Do you guys eat a lot of garlic? I never really cooked with fresh garlic on a daily basis until about 6 months ago. Since then my parents have commented on how I always smell like garlic...I probably consume 2-3 cloves a day...oh well, it's too good to pass up...

Garrett Smith
02-20-2008, 12:25 PM
I'd need to know what "paleoish" means in terms of her diet to ferret out what might be the culprit. Dairy (especially cheese) is a nasty one.

Also, if she hasn't done any probiotics, those could help a lot if a dysbiosis was an issue for her.

David Mathews
02-21-2008, 07:21 AM
Garret,
She eats yogurt 2-3 days/week and some cheese but no milk.She also uses whey protein with her yogurt.No grains.Not familiar with dysbiois or what it is.She has had gut problems in the past but nothing recently.What probiotics do you suggest?

Her carb intake is 30-75 grams/day on average.

Garrett Smith
02-21-2008, 11:59 AM
David,
Wikipedia on dysbiosis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysbiosis).

If she's had gut problems in the past, it's likely that a dysbiosis is present. It may or may not be completely responsible for the halitosis, it could play a major role though.

The probiotics I recommend are the Essential Formulas Probiotics 12 Plus, available in my online store. I typically recommend a loading dose to begin with, then maintenance as needed, depending on how many cultured foods are present in (or worked into) the diet. PM me if you need more info.

Increasing fluid intake (I'm much more partial to herbal teas than plain water) could also help a lot--a dry mouth is a stinky mouth!

Also, she won't know if dairy is the culprit unless she completely takes it out of her diet for a good while. My wife can totally tell if I've eaten dairy, even if I brush my teeth immediately afterwards.