PDA

View Full Version : Post Op Rehab for Meniscus

Jonas Lind
02-20-2008, 01:32 PM
So I'm having my medial meniscus operated on tomorrow. It looks like a partial rupture, about 1/3 is broken.
I've had the injury for about 2 years and it has had it ups and downs. Right now its actually pretty good and after alot of Squat Therapy, Mobility work and as of late heavy Back Squatting, I'm stronger than ever.
On the other hand - ROM is good but not 100% and I still have problems with the knee locking up. It also feels like I've reached a point where I just don't get any better. So, I'm having the operation in hope of being back to 100%

My rehab plan is to start as soon as possible trying to get the ROM back in the knee. Work on ankle and hip mobility. Squat Therapy leading up to weighted squats and finally a 4 week Starting Strength cycle getting back to where I am now.

How does that sound? Any ideas?

Jonas Lind
02-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Turns out the injury was a bit worse than expected. About half of the meniscus was removed.
I was sent home with the doc saying "Do not remove bandage, just rest for 8-10 days, expect 6 months for recovery"

Surely that can't be the best way to start rehab?

Garrett Smith
02-22-2008, 05:38 AM
Jonas,
Low intensity laser therapy ("cold" laser) would likely be of great help in both decreasing recovery time and reducing scar tissue formation. My patients usually note recovery time reduced by half.

No nightshades also cuts recovery time and reduces the pain.

Using mental imagery of your knee(s) going through various motions will be helpful until you can get to physical rehab.