PDA

View Full Version : Co2 back into Gas

John Alston
02-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Ny times (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/science/19carb.html?ex=1361163600&en=5f85282713dc25b3&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink)
If two scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory are correct, people will still be driving gasoline-powered cars 50 years from now, churning out heat-trapping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere — and yet that carbon dioxide will not contribute to global warming.

The scientists, F. Jeffrey Martin and William L. Kubic Jr., are proposing a concept, which they have patriotically named Green Freedom, for removing carbon dioxide from the air and turning it back into gasoline.

The idea is simple. Air would be blown over a liquid solution of potassium carbonate, which would absorb the carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide would then be extracted and subjected to chemical reactions that would turn it into fuel: methanol, gasoline or jet fuel.

This process could transform carbon dioxide from an unwanted, climate-changing pollutant into a vast resource for renewable fuels. The closed cycle — equal amounts of carbon dioxide emitted and removed — would mean that cars, trucks and airplanes using the synthetic fuels would no longer be contributing to global warming.

Although they have not yet built a synthetic fuel factory, or even a small prototype, the scientists say it is all based on existing technology.

“Everything in the concept has been built, is operating or has a close cousin that is operating,” Dr. Martin said.

If it happens....
I like the idea that in 2050 I'm driving around a future car with a real gas engine and the whole CO2 issue ain't even a thought.
So much better than the moralistic anti-growth policies of the doomsayers.

Scott Kustes
02-21-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm interested in this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzJZJjo9MNA)

John Alston
02-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Can't youtube at work...:(

Paul Findley
02-21-2008, 10:20 AM
I guess if you use wind power to break down the water into "HHO" gas, you are a lot closer.

That report did not speak to how much electricity it takes to covert the water into fuel.

Steven Low
02-21-2008, 07:34 PM
I guess if you use wind power to break down the water into "HHO" gas, you are a lot closer.

That report did not speak to how much electricity it takes to covert the water into fuel.
Pretty much... depends on how much energy it takes to make the fuel (same with the CO2 and potassium carbonate + other rxns). Granted, electricity can be gained from more renewable type resources instead.. however, there's always a cost-benefit ratio to consider like everything else in this world.

I still wonder what actually happened to the electric car (besides that movie that came out a few years ago if it even had a few shreds of truth).