PDA

View Full Version : explaining paleo to the impatient.

kevin mckay
11-30-2006, 08:28 AM
I like “don’t eat anything that you could not eat if uncooked” as a paleo guideline seems to be super simple, totally consistent with paleo and makes people think from a paleo perspective. I can’t really think of any loopholes and it makes giving people guidelines really easy. Does anybody see any loopholes or problems with this?

Neal Winkler
11-30-2006, 02:48 PM
I don't think most people will understand that whole grains have been prepared before hand. I know that I didn't know grains can't be digested unless they go through a milling process. Also, you're leaving milk open, not to mention sugar/honey. You also can't eat ground beef uncooked (or at least shouldn't). Besides, the concept of eating any type of meat uncooked is completely unapealing to most everyone. I think your concept would lead most people to vegetarianism.

kevin mckay
11-30-2006, 05:28 PM
great points, Thanks

Mike ODonnell
11-30-2006, 05:42 PM
I like to say....if it wasn't around 200 years ago...your body doesnt know what it is or how to use it, so dont eat it....people can relate vs Paleo man times. Of course that doesnt tackle the issues of excessive grain and dairy, but it's a good start to get all the processed foods out. That and "no bread"...people have no idea how much bread is in their diet till they take it out.

Allison Barns
11-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Being dairy and gluten intolerant is a great way to 'go Paleo' without knowing it. The first time I heard of the Paleo diet I thought 'that's how I eat!' (Okay that plus cheats like dark chocolate, chips, wine....;) which I have now given up in the effort to get healthy...sigh). So glad the rest of y'all are catching on!:D

Anyway, my two favorite phrases are (1) "If I could kill it or pick it, I can eat it" and (2) Quoting a now ex-boyfriend "You eat like a lizard - meat, fruit, and veg" (I wasn't ever sure how to take being likened to a lizard... but the phrase is good!)

Ido Portal
12-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Charles Poliquin likes to use this as a guideline:
'If it didnt run in the field, fly in the sky, swim in the river or its not green, dont eat it'

Steve Liberati
12-01-2006, 04:52 AM
As a general rule of thumb, I usually tell people "If it wasn't available a few thousand years ago, then don't eat it." To me paleo is just that...replicating the same cuisine choices available to man during the paleolitic era. Bread, grains, soda, processed food, and other "inventions" are still foreign products to our body and consider outside the parameters of nature.

Joyce Behrendt
12-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Eat what you could find if you were walking naked across the tundra carrying a sharp stick.

If it has fur, feathers or fins, I eat it.

Ever heard of Steak Tartare, Neal? :) This is raw beef. Itís best to eat good quality whole pieces of meat that is freshly ground. You are right about pre-ground beef because gosh knows what might be in it.

Neal Winkler
12-02-2006, 09:07 AM
"Meat, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. Little starch, no sugar."

Scott Kustes
12-05-2006, 11:09 AM
The only problem with telling people only eat stuff that was available prior to 2000 years ago is that most people don't know what was available prior to 2000 years ago. Why should someone assume that grains or dairy were not widely consumed until 8000 years ago? Unless they have read what we've read, such a statement is useless. I think Neal has it best for laypeople.

Steve Liberati
12-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Good point Scott.

Or you can always say, "Read the book, stupid" when you get a look of confusion. Lol.

Jeremy Jones
12-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Try to only eat things you can kill with a stick.

Drink water.

Then to make my point, I would grunt loudly, wave my club high in the air, and then go take nap in my cave.

Yael Grauer
12-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Those are better than mine... "I don't eat bread and rice and things." Or "Can you at least presoak it to get rid of the phytic acid? Er, I mean, why don't I cook YOU dinner?"

I like the eating like a lizard thing :D but I think most people might be thinking mealworms, locusts, rodents and harvester ants. Mmm, formic acid.

Dave Van Skike
12-13-2006, 09:36 AM
If it didn't have a face or didn't come from a plant that was leafy and green, don't eat it. Not entirely accurate (potatoes) but close.

Shane Stanley
12-28-2006, 01:38 PM
interesting