PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Way to Build Handstand Pushups

Coach Sommer
02-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Those seeking to improve their proficiency at handstand pushups may find the following helpful:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=729#729

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

www.GymnasticBodies.com

Allen Yeh
02-22-2008, 06:51 AM
What about building a freestanding handstand/handstand pushup? Same rules apply? I have from the get go been able to knock off handstand push-ups with a wall but freestanding have eluded me.

Derek Simonds
02-22-2008, 07:47 AM
I have been holding out but I am going to have to register on Coach's forum.

Jr and I have been working on our standing straddle press to handstand and he has almost got it down.

Great thoughts on handstand pushups.

Mike ODonnell
02-22-2008, 07:59 AM
I found that when I was getting good at HSPU again (until I f'd up my shoulder again...damnit) I did static holds (or just handstands) against a wall wearing a backpack with 25lb plate in it....that worked to get my numbers up.

What I've learned from all this gymnastic training talk is that static holds (esp with added weights) can be a huge benefit to any training along with full ROM exercises. Also makes me wish I did more than 6 months of gymnastics training as a kid! (I think Derek can back me up on this, but I would say that gymnastic training is probably the best sport to get any kid into which can easily cross translate into higher performance for other sports he/she may do in the future.)

Derek Simonds
02-22-2008, 08:58 AM
(I think Derek can back me up on this, but I would say that gymnastic training is probably the best sport to get any kid into which can easily cross translate into higher performance for other sports he/she may do in the future.)

Big Amen from me there brother! The only thing with any more longevity in sports would be developing an affinity for the after activity Guiness. ;)

Coach Sommer
02-22-2008, 09:14 AM
There won't be time today, however on Monday I will post a progression for assisting with the transition from wall handstands to free balancing handstands.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

www.GymnasticBodies.com

Butch White
02-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Coach Sommer: Your website says your book is now available but it is not listed in the products section. When will you be taking orders?