PDA

View Full Version : Height and Weight Standards

Kevin Perry
02-24-2008, 09:17 PM
What would you guys consider healthy and functional weight for male and female height? For weightlifting and crossfit.

Reason I ask is because Im trying to research inormation on height and weight charts as it relates to weightlifting and most of what I find is information on health sites that of course have no reference to specific sports.

I've actually been developing an interest in comparing strength to body weight ratios between athletes in shorter heights compared to taller heights and the percentage of weight they lift and I would like to build a chart on this.

Nathan Stanley
02-25-2008, 12:30 AM
When I was in college I was 5'10" and weighed around 190 lbs and was considered "obese" by military height/weight charts even though I had to cut to 177 lbs in order to wrestle. I looked at joining the Marine OCS but when they said I had to weigh 163 in order to qualify I said no thank you. Keep in mind I was a small college All-American that year.

The whole idea of height/weight charts I think is ludicrous, although w/ a couple of other measurements (neck and wrist size) they can produce results comparable to bioimpedence or caliper measurements.

Troy Archie
02-25-2008, 06:19 AM
What your sport is also effects it. Like Nathan said, he had to cut down for wrestling. My O-lifting coach always says a guy my hieght (5'-10.5") should be in the 94kg class, I think it was 94kg...

Kevin Perry
02-25-2008, 07:12 AM
I understand the military part, I think the height and weight standards are ridiculous for it.

but I like watching how weight affects performance for say weightlifting and crossfit. It interests me needless to say.

Leo Soubbotine
02-25-2008, 07:39 AM
The more oly lifting I do - the heavier I get.
The more oly lifting I do - the better I get @ Crossfit.

I probably would be even better at CF @ lighter weight, yet I like heavy lifting and occasional strongman work.
Example: just last week I did "Annie" in 6:32 @ 224 lbs bw.

Patrick Donnelly
02-25-2008, 02:50 PM
The perfect bodyweight lies somewhere between an 8 year old male gymnast and a 45 year old powerlifter. Good luck finding it.

Mike ODonnell
02-25-2008, 02:53 PM
The perfect bodyweight lies somewhere between an 8 year old male gymnast and a 45 year old powerlifter. Good luck finding it.

The Sport of Guinness has no perfect weight.....

Kevin Perry
02-25-2008, 07:59 PM
So then technicaly I will never be able to find any stats on it because weight is entirely dependent upon the sport undertaken and perhaps how the indivdual feels in compliance with what their goals are.

Hmm I guess thats technically better because then it leaves a person with no guidelines that they are "supposed" to be restricted to.

Robb Wolf
02-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Kevin-
we tinkered with this stuff for a while. You might search the CF message board for "optimum body weight" or something to that effect.

SportivnyPress had an interesting analysis of top level Olifters...they are HEAVY relative to their height. by contrast a gymnast who is 5'8" and 170lbs is pretty damn large...some kind of sweet spot might exist for that height and say 18-lbs? But then you have guys like OPT 5'9" 161 lbs and a complete monster. Some of the better crossfitters have a sense of an optimum BW based on a give workout or type of WO. 2-4 lbs heavier and Fran is easier due to the increased engine. 2-4 lbs lighter and runs are easier. Interesting stuff to ponder for sure.

Gabe Rinaldi
02-27-2008, 05:34 PM
It's been a few years and I don't have the book in front of me, but if I recall correctly the Supertraining text by Siff and Verkhoshansky has quite a bit of data on this topic...at least as it relates to weightlifting. You can take the same logic and science and apply it to other sports or CrossFit.

Kevin Perry
02-27-2008, 08:16 PM
I found thread on the CF boards, it's a very interesting topic to think about especially if the better Crossfitters come from backgrounds in Gymnastics and Olympic Weightlifting.

An interesting observation about my own weight i've noticed over the past few years.

Back in High Shool my weight class was 130 and I weighed 128 I think, moved up from 125. After boot camp my weight settle at 135 where I noticed my performance was very optimal. A few months later I was averaging around 148 and when my lung infection hit I dropped to 123 and only managed to get to around 125 at the most. When I jumped onto CF and later SS I hit 143 but my weight dropped down between 133 and 135 after going back to CF and my second go at SS landed me at 141 which dropped me to 135 again where I have maintained despite the flu a couple weeks ago.

135 seems to be where I perform optimally especially in Strength training and CF. Now my numbers are not impressive but they are significant when compared to my previous numbers. But 135 seems to be where my body is "telling" me to stay and I think that weight may probably be the optimum weight for performance between CF, Oly, and Strength training.

Of course my height is short, only 5'5'' and no doubt genetics and body type play a role in this im sure. But if the body has a specific weight it prefers to be at and like you said Rob in the CF thread, a "sweet spot" then it maks me wonder about absolute strength to height and weight abilities if there is such a thing.

Im thinking different from strength to weight ratio but instead how much of a monster you can make someone at their sport for their bodies "prefered" weight that it want's to be at.

Arden Cogar Jr.
02-28-2008, 07:29 AM
All I know is I'm "morbidly obese" according to life insurance companies. Sucks balls because I couldn't get the bigger policies. Finally found one that would look at my body instead of my weight and I ended up getting the lowest rate (John Hancock). The fact that my chest is 52 and my waist is 40 helps make the fact that I'm 5'10" 260ish a little more palatable.

I was born big. My wrists are over 8" and I wear a 13.5 dress shoe. Big foundation for a short stocky building. :-D

I was 5'7" 185 in the 8th grade. I was near 200 for Freshman football. I dieted down to 167 to wrestle because I had the chance to be on varsity. Made the squad and got my butt kicked all year. My weight hovered around 200 for about 8 months out of the year throughout highschool.

Got into powerlifting during high school, did bench meets until I graduated. Then when I went off to college, I started three lift meets. I swear I gained 30 pounds during my first semester of college from squatting and deadlifting along. When I competed in three lift meets, I either dieted down to the 198s or lifted comfortably in the 220s. After I turned 20, something happened. I gave away powerlifting because I was hurting from all the bouts with heavyweights and I wanted to do something more healthy. So I started into my sport. I gained 20 to 30 pounds within about 6 months. Not all good weight, but weight.

For me, it's all about comfort. I honestly feel my best when I'm around 250ish. I feel a little chubby when I get over 260. I've been about this weight since I was in graduate school (22-23). I lost down to 230 when I started law school because I traveled the world and did the lumberjack circuit and didn't get to weight train. But as soon as I started lifting (and eating) again, I was back up in the 240s. I got really silly and did some stuff I shouldn't have when I was 30. Got down to 240 and was really lean. Got hurt (karma is king) and then got really heavy (280). Spent the past six years battling the endochronolgical nightmare. Finally got it straightened out and now I feel great.

No more heavy weights for me. Too old and don't wanna get hurt. I love oly lifting. I'm using weights that don't scare me and I'm learning how to do it right. Who knows, someday I may do a master's meet for fun.

All the best,
Arden

John Alston
02-28-2008, 07:37 AM
I remember when I was boxing I used to walk around 160-165 but fought close to 151, 150 for my last fight. We used to say 147, the next lower class, was my "true" weight. But around 150 was my best ratio for power, endurence and strength. I'm almost 5'11".
Not I'd like to be a full, lean 85kg lifter. I'm a soft 80kg these days, but I have a goal.
It's a ~35lb difference (increase) from my weigh in numbers.
Pick your sport, modify your body to it....