PDA

View Full Version : We're pregnant!

Garrett Smith
02-25-2008, 09:17 AM
For those of you who are interested to know, my lovely wife Cori is 13 weeks along and doing very well!

Our future plans for the young 'un include:

Home birth with a midwife
Breastfeeding (of course)
Homeschooling and exercise via the Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential (www.iahp.org, she's enrolled in the June class, I wish I could go with her!)
World domination and immortality (whoops! did I say that?) :D

We're having fun with the whole process so far--well, except for her morning sickness, aversion to cooked vegetables, feeling fat, too fatigued to exercise, etc. etc. Nothing you other parents haven't experienced before. We just bought the major pieces of baby furniture the other day, that made things seem a bit more real to me--the guy who doesn't have a human being developing inside of me... :)

Feel free to give suggestions if you'd like--this is one area I'm totally new to!

Mike ODonnell
02-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Congrats! Good luck with little Stewie and world domination!

Derek Simonds
02-25-2008, 09:53 AM
I thought I could hear it in Cori's voice the other day when we were on the phone. She was talking about watching Jr's videos on youtube and how excited you guys were about trying to have children.

Children are the greatest gift I have ever been given. Congratulations!

Allen Yeh
02-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Congratulations!

Jay Cohen
02-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Congrag's Doc G.
All the best.

Kevin Perry
02-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Congrats Doc!

Dave Paton
02-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Congrats!! you'll enjoy it!

Eric Kerr
02-25-2008, 11:17 AM
For those of you who are interested to know, my lovely wife Cori is 13 weeks along and doing very well!

Our future plans for the young 'un include:

Home birth with a midwife
Breastfeeding (of course)

Feel free to give suggestions if you'd like--this is one area I'm totally new to!

Hmmm, those two covered. Darn good start, nevermind the rest.

Oh, birthing classes:

The Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth or if there is someone in your area that does them Birthing from Within by Pamela England, although for first time parents, fathers especially, I liked The Bradley Method.

My wife has done pregnancy yoga for both pregnancies. She loves it as a time to connect with baby without outside interferences. Of course, the teacher has to be good.

With #2 we had much less time to practice the relaxation exercises recommend by the Bradley instructors, so she did a session with her yoga instructor to make a personalized relaxation CD that she could listen to before going to bed and Jess said she felt that did her a lot of good.

If too tired to do much exercising (this usually gets better after the 1st trimester), at least get 20-30 minutes of walking in a day. Good time to talk and connect with each other. Later in the pregnacy especially be prepared to walk slowly (high step if the pace is driving you nuts).

Oh, pack a bag in case you need to transfer to the hospital.

Understand that if your wife has envisioned her birth experience going a certain way and it goes differently than planned that this may take some time to heal and recover from both physically and emotionally. And you may not be the shoulder she needs to cry on/work it out with (more of woman to woman thing).

Garrett Smith
02-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Thank you everybody.

Eric, I don't remember if it was you who mentioned the Bradley Method here on the PMenu forums before, whoever it was, I listened. We start those classes in April. That reconnected me with a former patient (who teaches the class!).

We're currently getting our OB care under an MD, for the early labs/care and one ultrasound (she has to know the gender! no yellow or green at the baby shower...). Cori is seeing the other NMD who leases space in my office for general care and advice, as Dr. Poindexter has had three sons of her own. I'm going along for the ride in a supportive role. I believe we meet the midwife this week.

Did I mention our entire living room table (it's a BIG table) is pretty much covered in baby-related books and literature?

She was researching pregnancy yoga the other day. She's starting to feel well enough for walking and other exercise, and I do enjoy that time we have together. My biggest thing is that she at least get outside and get some fresh air and sunshine in the morning before she comes to the office (she's doing half days, and we're training staff so that she will be able to stay at home nearly all the time).

As Woman Within (http://www.womanwithin.org/noflash/index.htm) is a big part of her life, she has plenty of women to lean on if she needs to, which I encourage. A great friend of hers from that group is actually due about a month ahead of Cori, so they are having a grand time commiserating about pregnancy (it is her friend's second time around).

I like to think we're doing all right so far! More suggestions are welcome.

One last thing--it is nice, as a man in this day and age of rampant infertility issues, to know that all the parts are functioning correctly. The first month that we tried on the days that our OB suggested (days 10-16, ED or EOD), the next month we were pregnant.

David Aguasca
02-25-2008, 12:49 PM
For a second, you had me worried there. being a pregnant male is frowned upon in our species.

congratulations, Dr. G!

Scott Kustes
02-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Congratulations Dr. G!

John Seiler
02-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Great new, Garrett. Congrats! Please remember me kindly when the global domination is achieved.

Yael Grauer
02-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Congratulations!! I have some friends in town who are midwives or are training to be midwives, so if you have specific questions and need local resources just let me know and I'll ask around.

Paul Findley
02-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Gratz!

Edward Friedman
02-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Congrats & Best Wishes !

My twin sons are almost 8 y.o. One aspect of their infancy that I have sweet nostalgic feelings about is the use of the "over the shoulder baby holder".

http://www.motheringfromtheheart.com/catalog/25.html

Highly recommended ! ! ! I used to try and do as much as I could "wearing" the kids. I miss it ! They love being up high, being close, having a great view of everything you are doing. The leverage really lets you be practically hands free, etc.

eg; FWIW, I used to stand on a mini-rebounder, and gently "bounce" (feet not leaving mat surface.) This was a turbo-charged version of all those mini-swing chairs for babies, or taking a drive, for the purpose of putting kids to sleep. It worked great ! Sometimes they'd be howling and a within a minute or two of bouncing, it was as if I'd hit the off switch. Ahhh....bliss:) ( Many a night at 3 a.m., after a feeding and change, I'd be "bouncing" with one or the other or both, watching C-Span coverage of the Bush v. Gore "hanging chad" controversy, etc...)

BTW, I think carrying has got to be more "paleo" ;)

Craig Snyder
02-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Congrats!

Workouts will never be the same. The second I hit the ground to do pushups, they become weighted pushups as 2 of my 3 kids jump on my back. The 3rd will be joining in soon. PRE the natural way.

Craig

Chris Forbis
02-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Awesome stuff.

Congratulations.

sarena kopciel
02-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Congrats on the old news!!! Just spent four days with my daughter who is now in her 7th month! I think they will be visiting you in April too!

I am so glad the homebirth idea worked out and is planned. My daughter too is so excited for that. She just doesnt want to be a number or part of intervention!! And I always thought my ideas were seen as weird to my kids!! LOL!

Oh I would recommend getting the hypnobirthing cd on my daughter's advice and do not buy the "What to Expect when you are expecting book" as I heard it is outdated and very medical!!

Steve Liberati
02-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Very cool to hear Dr. G. Congratulations to you and Cori.

Eric Kerr
02-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Thank you everybody.

Eric, I don't remember if it was you who mentioned the Bradley Method here on the PMenu forums before, whoever it was, I listened. We start those classes in April. That reconnected me with a former patient (who teaches the class!).

We're currently getting our OB care under an MD, for the early labs/care and one ultrasound (she has to know the gender! no yellow or green at the baby shower...). Cori is seeing the other NMD who leases space in my office for general care and advice, as Dr. Poindexter has had three sons of her own. I'm going along for the ride in a supportive role. I believe we meet the midwife this week.

Did I mention our entire living room table (it's a BIG table) is pretty much covered in baby-related books and literature?

She was researching pregnancy yoga the other day. She's starting to feel well enough for walking and other exercise, and I do enjoy that time we have together. My biggest thing is that she at least get outside and get some fresh air and sunshine in the morning before she comes to the office (she's doing half days, and we're training staff so that she will be able to stay at home nearly all the time).

As Woman Within (http://www.womanwithin.org/noflash/index.htm) is a big part of her life, she has plenty of women to lean on if she needs to, which I encourage. A great friend of hers from that group is actually due about a month ahead of Cori, so they are having a grand time commiserating about pregnancy (it is her friend's second time around).

I like to think we're doing all right so far! More suggestions are welcome.

One last thing--it is nice, as a man in this day and age of rampant infertility issues, to know that all the parts are functioning correctly. The first month that we tried on the days that our OB suggested (days 10-16, ED or EOD), the next month we were pregnant.

Sounds like you two are doing all the right things (the first time around) Garrett. Good deal!

As far as mentioning Bradley, yeah, that was probably me. At least I don't know of a lot of other men running around on these boards or CF extolling the virtues of the Bradley Method :). I learned a ton from the class and it got me so much more involved in so many aspects of the pregnancy than I would have been otherwise that is hard not to give it a shout whenever anyone says they about to become a parent. And a quick read of the workbook they give got me quickly back in the groove for the pregnancy with our 2nd daughter. Double plus good.

As a recall, the doppler is stronger than an sonogram, so doing one to find out the gender isn't that big of deal. We didn't a sonogram with our 1st daughter. Did one with the 2nd since it was easier than arguing with the OB we were using for parallel care (used midwives for both pregnacies as our primary care provider). The worst thing that could happen is that they could find something potentially wrong with the child which can lead to a lot of fretting on the part of expecting parents.

Since you are looking at baby stuff this is a good resource

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Bargains-Furniture-Equipment-Maternity/dp/1889392146

And Sarena is spot on "What to Expect when you are expecting book" is awful. I like books a lot and wouldn't generally condone book burning, but that one would be at the top of my list if I were. My wife and I renamed it the "How to be a paranoid expectant parent."

Nikki Young
02-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Congrats! :D

Jared Buffie
02-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Congrats!

We were planning a home birth with my son, but ended up at the hospital since Suzanne's water broke 3 weeks early. Luckily, we spent 2 hours grilling our midwife about what to expect if we had to transport. Good thing we did! The biggest thing we learned from the experience was that we were glad we had a strong birth plan outlined and never wavered on any decisions, even though the nurse looked at us like we were child abusers for declining the Vit K, silver nitrate drops and the hep vaccine. By the end, I think they were happy to see us go!

My daughter was born at home and it was absolutely awesome!

Anyway, get ready for the biggest blessing of your life. The months leading up to the birth of your first child is one of the most amazing periods of your life. I often look back on those days and smile....

Garrett Smith
02-26-2008, 05:57 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement and support everyone.

About the "Expecting" book, even our OB told us he didn't like it! He suggested "Pregnancy for Dummies". He's actually been open to "alternative" remedies so far, but he's not open to midwives, homebirths, or even the local birthing center, which really sucks.

The insurance thing really sucks too. They won't cover anything at the local birthing center (where my wife wanted to go first). If we paid the birthing center out-of-pocket (5g+)and had to go to the hospital, the hospital right next door to the birthing center isn't on our insurance, and our OB doesn't have privileges at that hospital. Obviously, homebirth wouldn't be covered by insurance, yet it is only half the price of the birthing center. If we were doing a homebirth, there's only one hospital in town that will even let our midwife in to continue care, and that's not the hospital on our insurance, nor is it the hospital our OB has privileges in. What a frickin' racket. Here's praying for a healthy, trouble-free delivery!

Tirzah Harper
02-26-2008, 08:03 AM
As far as parenting goes:

Expect to constantly question yourself and wonder if you're doing anything right at all. If you're not wondering that most of the time, you're not doing it right. Questioning yourself is the way it should be.
Apologize when you're wrong. Eat your pride and let your kid save face. You're the adult, it's your job to show them how it should be done, which means if someone's got to suck it up and be the bigger person, it's you. But make sure they are aware of the real things that you go through as well.

Your ideals right now are awesome. Be ready to watch most of them burst like overfilled balloons, because your kid will have their own independent mind, personality, and opinions which will probably NOT agree with yours. Sorry.

Your kid will, 90% chance, be normal. You should question that as much as you do your parenting. That's normal too.

Forgive yourself. Get up and go get some.

And hey, congratulations!:)

Jamila Bey
02-26-2008, 10:52 AM
CONGRATS!!!

Your wife is 13 weeks behind me, so I imagine in a couple years we'll have little lifters we can send to visit one another!

While I can't (yet) offer any parenting advice, I can say that I'm sure jealous that you'll be doing a homebirth. I wanted a birthing center (Our apartment walls are not thick enough for what I believe should be a private celebration... The hallway aural spectators would be too much for me!) but Hubby is too pro c-section to consider such a thing. So I found a doc whose philosophies are like my own anti-intervention ones, and we'll see what happens. (I geniuninely believe that I'll be getting my way!!!)

Thanks for all of your advice thru the boards and the years- my own pregnancy has been giddy and happy and healthy and I hope the same you you and your wife and babe.

Eric Kerr
02-26-2008, 11:01 AM

About the "Expecting" book, even our OB told us he didn't like it! He suggested "Pregnancy for Dummies". He's actually been open to "alternative" remedies so far, but he's not open to midwives, homebirths, or even the local birthing center, which really sucks.

The insurance thing really sucks too. They won't cover anything at the local birthing center (where my wife wanted to go first). If we paid the birthing center out-of-pocket (5g+)and had to go to the hospital, the hospital right next door to the birthing center isn't on our insurance, and our OB doesn't have privileges at that hospital. Obviously, homebirth wouldn't be covered by insurance, yet it is only half the price of the birthing center. If we were doing a homebirth, there's only one hospital in town that will even let our midwife in to continue care, and that's not the hospital on our insurance, nor is it the hospital our OB has privileges in. What a frickin' racket. Here's praying for a healthy, trouble-free delivery!

@Jared. Sounds like we had similar experiences. Had to transfer with 1st daughter. The non-permanent staff doctors were great it was the idiot head honcho OB and the oncall OB that were difficult (although we worked it out with the oncall OB but ONLY because we had enough knowledge to make her understand that we knew what we were doing). Had baby at home with the 2nd daughter.

Garrett, oooo, don't get me started on the state of midwifery in most of America. Suffice to say right now it is a felony in MO for a midwife to catch a baby (catching the baby is considered the practice of medicine). We could have avoided the transfer to the hospital if our midwife could have been able to administer pitocin (it only took a tiny bit to clear the cervical lip that was impeding my wife from being able to push). Fortunately, we've got some decent legislation in the works to hopefully get midwives legalized.

We paid for the midwife for births out of pocket. And of course had to the pay the hospital as well for the 1st birth (but insurance covered most of that). What a flippin' racket.

The part I find amusing is that my HRA will cover the costs of a midwife (well, if you don't live in a place where they are potential felons!).

I ran some numbers once and MO could save $26 million to $50 million dollars a year in delivery costs if they got the Cesearean rate down to WHO recommended levels (10-15%), the point at which Ceseareans have been shown to no longer improve birth outcomes.

Oh and as far as not being able to admit you to a hospital. That is crap. If you have insurance, they will take you (maybe not with a smile), they may actually treat you like crap, but they will take you. You just need to be up to speed and ready to advocate for your wife regarding procedures you want and don't want for her and for your child. Although, depending on the reason for the tranfer they may not be willing to negotiate much. Good idea to have a birth plan written up, although be advised even your own OB does not have to follow the birth plan, nevermind say the oncall doctor or nurse if you are transfering without parallel care in place.

One other thing about hospitals at least in MO. The woman has the choice regarding what to accept and not to accept. You can run interference, but the woman has to say yes or no. Nevermind the fact that depending at what point they are in the labor, most women are not really cognizant of the outside world and the last thing they want or need is to be making medical decisions. Hiring a doula can helpful in this regard or the midwife may be able to act as doula if a transfer is needed.

sarena kopciel
02-26-2008, 03:11 PM

That truly sucks since my daughter is covered fully(midwife charges 6000$) less the 500$ deductible for a home birth!!

Paul Findley
02-26-2008, 03:55 PM
http://www.unassistedhomebirth.com/fathers/diyquestions.htm

sorry...I just could not resist

Garrett Smith
02-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Actually Paul, thanks for posting that.

While I do want a midwife there, I think I just decided that I wanted to be the one who "catches" my newborn...if my wife is okay with that, of course.

Paul Findley
02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Garrett, that's cool, nothing wrong with wanting to be hands on. As you can imagine, things can get annoying in the hospital. We had twins and they were going to evac me from the delivery room if things went south, I was like, no way (I have been in ORs before during open heart surgery) but alas it was not for *my* protection, rather one fewer witness to any possible freak show, but I digress. They did yell at me for walking out of our birthing room with our latest kid, policy is that if your in the hall, baby is in a roll around thing, again, its for the health of the child and to protect the hospital from liability...anyway just ignore all the advice and have fun.

Jamila Bey
02-27-2008, 05:30 AM
So what are the chances of Dad being able to catch his baby in a hospital? Anyone know of this ever happening?

I've got in my birth plan the request that this be accommodated and that babe be nursed before examination, but for some odd reason I'm a little skeptical...

Garrett Smith
02-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Paul,
I always enjoy your posts, especially the humorous ones! Your avatars are always really cool.

I talked to Cori last night about "catching" (I did it for 10+ years in baseball, I figured I could manage), and she said she thinks she'd rather have me beside her during the whole process. I can live with that--then again, who knows what she'll say in the heat of the moment during the birth!

Jamila, I wish I could help you there. I do think your OB would have some definite opinions (pro or con) that he/she would tell you if presented with those questions...

Eric Kerr
02-27-2008, 10:23 AM
@Jamila,

Having dad catch the baby in the hospital depends. If they see signs of muconium, then they will probably cut the chord themselves and wisk the baby over to the Fry Lamp for suctioning.

If everything goes well and your OB is willing dad should be able to catch the baby and cut the chord, unless the hospital has some policy on letting non-medical staff catch babies. Ask your OB about that.

@Garrett,

Having dad catch the baby at home can be interesting. You may be able to work it out or not. By that I mean, the position of the woman can make it easier for her to catch the baby, especially if the umbilical chord is short or they are in a birthing pool. So, I'd say at least look forward to cutting the chord after all the blood in the chord has pumped from mama to baby.

After chord cutting the 1st place the baby (goo and all) should go is to mama's chest with a towel or blanket for warmth.

Jared Buffie
02-27-2008, 10:54 AM
We paid out of pocket for our home birth, I think it was around $2K. Please understand that everyone present was knowingly and willingly breaking the law in order for it to happen - homebirths and lay midwives are illegal in Georgia (wheere my daughter was born).

Since then, I have moved back to Canada where not only are homebirths legal, but paid for by the gov't. On top of that c-section rates in hospitals are ~15% vs the 40%+ rate at the hospital my son was born at (they deliver 15000 babies a year, it's known as the "baby mill").

My best advice for a hospital birth is to pick your battles carefully. For example, we didn't wast our son washed after birth - we wanted to rub the vernix into his skin, but we were advised that it wouldn't be an option. We did waive all the other stuff (including some guy that walked right into our room, started unpacking a case and I said "what are you doing?" He said that he was going to check my son's hearing. I asked him how it worked. He said that it blows a puff of air into his ear, and if something happened, it meant that he could probably hear fine, but if it didn't happen, it didn't mean he couldn't hear. I told him to get out. The way he looked at me I think that I was the only one ever to decline the test).

Anyway. it's a magical experience that you will treasure for ever. You're a smart guy, you understand more about HEALTH than anyone in the hospital. Stick to your guns. If asked, my wife will tell anyone that the biggest thing in having two unmedicated deliveries is trust in the body to give birth unassisted the way it was designed to.

Obviously, being a chiro, I would recommend your wife being adjusted throughout pregnancy so that delivery goes easier. I read a study about labour times being reduced by up to 70% for chiro pts because of proper pelvic biomechanics, etc...

Garrett Smith
02-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Jared,
She's been getting adjusted regularly at least every other week since before the pregnancy happened. We got that covered too!

I want to share the pregnancy "discovery" story, if I might.

So, as I said before, Cori's GYN (who has since become our OB) told her that we needed to try on days 10-16, as many times as we could. We started following those directions.

About 32 days after that, Cori got a neck muscle spasm (the DC went so far as to call it mild torticollis). This had happened to her before (I'll get to that later). She wakes up early the next morning due to discomfort, when I'm normally getting ready for work (I was doing my early morning computer stuff). She asks me to put pressure on a sore spot in her neck (GB20), which had helped relieve the pain somewhat the night before. I oblige--she's standing facing away from me, I'm standing directly behind her, with my thumb pushing into the point.

Next thing I know, she's fainting. As she's starting to slowly go down, I'm like, "Are you fainting???", as if she would answer me or something, if she actually was! I realize what's going on (without an answer from her!) and catch her under her arms, laying her down on the floor to recover. She wakes right up, asks "Did I just faint? Oh my G*d...something is wrong, Garrett." I tell her that she did faint, let's not start worrying yet, ask her how long it has been since her last monthly cycle (she says she is 4 days overdue), and I tell her to give me a second on the computer.

I Google "pregnancy fainting" and come up with this (http://www.birth.com.au/Info.asp?class=6630&page=1):
During the Victorian era, fainting was an unsophisticated way of recognising if a woman was pregnant. Amazingly enough, this physical sign was probably not far from being accurate. Fainting during early and middle pregnancy (up until about 28 to 30 weeks) is a very common experience. It happens because the woman's blood vessels naturally relax and dilate under the influence of the hormone progesterone, lowering her blood pressure. Fainting is not usually a problem, just a little embarrassing if you do it in public!
I tell her that I really think she should go do a home pregnancy test. She does her duty, hands me the tester to set flat on the counter, and says I need to wait something like 2 minutes. I look at the tester, look at the directions, and tell her that there is really no need to wait that long, as the positive sign is staring me in the face! Within several days after that, the morning sickness signs show up, and we're off and running!

Funny thing about her neck. She had the exact same neck issue come up the morning I was going to take her on a mountain hike and propose to her at the top. Needless to say, we didn't go hiking, and I had to improvise and propose to her at lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant. So, I'm starting to get suspicious that her intuition about big life events for her come in the form of mild torticollis!

Just wanted to share, she loves the story, I like it too.

Chuck Kechter
02-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Congratulations!

Eric Kerr
02-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Interesting I've read up quite a bit on pregnancy while we were researching the feasibility of homebirth (it finally dawned on me that my mother had 10 siblings, 9 of which were born at home with a midwife in attendance, most in a log cabin without electricity no less!) and I have never heard of fainting as an early sign of pregnancy.

Good story. Thanks for sharing.

One question I've never seen an answer to is the whole morning sickness thing. My wife didn't have morning sickness with either pregnancy and neither did her mother (3 children). The only time Jessica got nauseous while pregnant was when she hadn't eaten recently enough.

Part of me wonders if that isn't a by product of our modern culture (every pregnant woman on TV has morning sickness) or simply diet or maybe both. Now I'm sure some woman in early pregnancy who just deposited dinner in the porcelain god is going to come along and punch me, but I'm just asking if there is a prevailing theory as the cause and why it might effect some women and not others?

Yael Grauer
02-28-2008, 05:52 AM
I read somewhere that morning sickness was mostly dehydration. No idea if that's true or not, though.

Also, a really great book (not on morning sickness) is called Woman In the Body. You will never look at hospital birth the same way again! It is kinda hard to read but so fascinating.

John P. Walsh
02-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Conrgats Garrett,

Nothing beats being a parent.:D We just had our 4th son in December.

Garrett Smith
02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks again, everybody.

Right now, Cori is at home with a touch of this flu that's going around. 100 degree fever, body aches, sore throat. Not fun for her. Good thing she gets free treatment!

Regarding morning sickness, my wife wants it renamed "all day" sickness.

I won't venture to know the cause. Cori did tell me she went on some pregnancy message boards and found quite a few women who apparently were normally Paleo-ish followers who, like her, only seemed to tolerate dairy and grains (as major food groups) in their first trimester. This really frustrated her. I do think the excessive carbs and insulin the dairy and grains "accumulated" in her system is a major factor in why she's sick right now.

To avoid getting sick myself, I've personally done 3 22+ hour fasts this week already, making sure to keep my carbs low, and doing some laser therapy to my lungs (where the flu virus sits). I seem to be one of the few around who's still been "lucky" so far...knock on wood.

sarena kopciel
02-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Imagine my surprise when my pregnant daughter emailed me today and asked me to proof a college paper she was writing on stress reduction and labor!! And its content included bach remedies, acupuncture, yogic breathing, aromatherapy, meditation, etc!! I think you all get the drift!!

And I never knew my believes were being absorbed. I guess they were by sheer osmosis!!! LOL

No from all my 4 kids, I think this one really understands and can appreciate the inherent value in my quirkiness!! I love them all dearly...

Allen Yeh
02-29-2008, 02:53 AM
Regarding morning sickness, my wife wants it renamed "all day" sickness.

That's pretty much how Laurie was for the first trimester.

Garrett Smith
02-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Cori did say last night, even though she's feeling like crap in many other ways, that at least the nausea was gone! She is still burping a lot most of the day, especially after meals.

Sarena, that stuff does settle in to others, just never as fast as we'd like it to. Headway is always being made!

Steven Low
02-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Congrats. :)

Ari Kestler
03-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Congratulations Dr. G!

Gittit Shwartz
03-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Congratulations, Dr. G! Hope you are both doing well.

Garrett Smith
03-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Cori is getting over the cold/flu she had, thank goodness.

I believe this is day 5, she's definitely on the mend.

I've had several people tell me about this particular one going around, that it would start viral, then go bacterial. The gymnastics coach I know (who had it) ended up with pneumonia due to poor self-care.

Jamila Bey
03-04-2008, 06:10 AM
So I just watched on Netflix on Demand Rikki Lake's documentary "The Business of Being Born." It's a little remedial for the folks on this board who understand the importance of research and questioning one's physician, but it's great in that it shows a few non-interventioned births in a positive and inspiring light.

I would love to do a birth center birth- but it's a negotiation with my Hubby that has both of us believing that we can survive the event.

Anyhow, it's an informative hour that may not change one's mind, but may at least prompt better questions before going into labor.

Dr. G, I am so jealous that you're doing the homebirth/midwife thing! I truly wish to someday have that experience.

Garrett Smith
03-04-2008, 08:24 AM
We met the nurse midwife and her "intern/apprentice" yesterday.

I was impressed. 29 years of experience, the confidence that brings, and her knowledge were quite obvious. I understood then why she came so highly recommended by multiple people.

Now our main question is how much of our choice to homebirth are we going to tell both sets of parents about? (They all live less than 15 minutes from us) We've already decided that it will only be us and the immediately necessary people (ie. midwife, apprentice, maybe a doula-in-training who needs birth experiences) at the birth.

We're staying with dual care (OB and midwife) until after the good ol' health insurance has covered the first (and only) sonogram. My wife had a good presentation to her (and I) about not finding out the gender of the baby early--as in, it's one of the few truly great surprises in your life, so why spoil it--so we'll have to see how she takes it! I'm okay either way, leaning towards not finding out early.

Eric Kerr
03-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Now our main question is how much of our choice to homebirth are we going to tell both sets of parents about? (They all live less than 15 minutes from us) We've already decided that it will only be us and the immediately necessary people (ie. midwife, apprentice, maybe a doula-in-training who needs birth experiences) at the birth.

We're staying with dual care (OB and midwife) until after the good ol' health insurance has covered the first (and only) sonogram. My wife had a good presentation to her (and I) about not finding out the gender of the baby early--as in, it's one of the few truly great surprises in your life, so why spoil it--so we'll have to see how she takes it! I'm okay either way, leaning towards not finding out early.

Dr. G,

We got some initial flak from my wife's parents, but it was relatively easy to bring them around with a sound set of logical arguments. Her aunt, a nurse, was a little more difficult to convince, but we prevailed using the same arguments (just more detail) with her.

Using an experienced midwife
Not the first time a baby has been born at home
Hospital is only a few minutes away
etc.,.

Interestlingly enough, you may find that they secretly have issues regarding their hospital birthing experience, especially when you go into detail about why you would like to have the birth at home as opposed to a hospital. I've seen mental fireworks go off as parents review the things that were done to them that were regarded as routine but where not really necessary and may have in fact impeeded labor and delivery.

>midwife, apprentice, maybe a doula-in-training who needs birth experiences

Minus the doula-in-training, that is who we had at our 2nd birth. I think it worked out better. 1st birth, pratically had the whole family on the 1st floor of the house. I think it had some influence on the difficulty of the birth. Too many psychic emmanations or something along those lines.

>My wife had a good presentation to her (and I) about not finding out the gender of the baby early--as in, it's one of the few truly great surprises in your life, so why spoil it--so we'll have to see how she takes it! I'm okay either way, leaning towards not finding out early.

My wife and I both dreamed that our 1st child was a daughter on the same night. I dreamed that our 2nd child was a daughter.

Sonogram, schmonogram ;)

Kidding aside, that must have been some presentation, because even a lot of homebirth parents decide to go ahead and find out the gender.

Having not found out twice, my beef is that if you get a false positive on an issue, you are going to worry yourself silly over something is a non-issue.

We had that happen with one of the PKU tests for genetic issues that they do after the birth. Yuck. Fortunately turned out to be a false positive.

Garrett Smith
03-05-2008, 05:46 AM
If we decide not to find out the gender (I mean, if Cori does, ha), then we'll likely ditch the sonogram.

I have a gut feeling that we are having a boy first (we want two, boy and girl). Also, FWIW, we had a friend do that pendulum-swinging thing on both of us (two separate occasions, I was the only one who remembered doing the first one), and both times it came up two kids, boy first, girl second. That was pretty weird.

Cori's mom is very conventional-minded. My mom, I'm pretty sure, starts to feel that I'm implying that she did something wrong with mine and my brother's birth if we don't go to the hospital (she had me naturally, my brother with drugs). Also, my mom is simply concerned about money issues--we have to pay for a homebirth, and a hospital birth is close to free, so she knows what she would choose.

Anyway, we'll weather the family storm, everything will be fine. We're actually pretty well past the having to justify everything to everyone else stage. Cori's family is Jewish, mine was Protestant, they all circumcised, that change in pattern that we are planning will be interesting (ie. my son won't be cut). They already know about that leaning, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Eric Kerr
03-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Anyway, we'll weather the family storm, everything will be fine. We're actually pretty well past the having to justify everything to everyone else stage. Cori's family is Jewish, mine was Protestant, they all circumcised, that change in pattern that we are planning will be interesting (ie. my son won't be cut). They already know about that leaning, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Ah, circumcision. Both raised Christian here, so there was no religious imperative to do so. My mom decide to forgo it with it with me and my brother because of that and other issues we would have likely not chosen to do it had we had sons. Little Johnny should look like dad and all that. Less and less people are choosing to have it done these days.

My understanding is the one thing you have to watch out for is medical personal that aren't educated regarding handling an uncircumsied penis. They want to yank the foreskin back even though you shouldn't do that until it does it so naturally on its own.

Jamila Bey
03-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Okay- we all know I'm an evangelical heathen so keeping that in mind, there's no way anyone is performing any genital mutilation on my child(ren) male OR female. If it's that important, the individual should give his or her informed consent and wholeheartedly lay down a blood and skin sacrifice to join whatever group they choose.

Hubby is ethnically Jewish but non-practicing, and when we were getting serious about the dating thing, I promised that because genitally mutilating a child is so cruel and backward, it was a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't be with someone where children could be a possibility if I'd have to fight to keep them intact. So he agreed, but now is trying to drop hints that our son will have "problems" in the locker room... I guess the other kids will be jealous that their parents didn't care enough to keep them as nature intended?

And if Hubby had been a Shia or Sunni Muslim from someplace where they do such barbarism to little girls, rest assured that I'd protect them from being hacked too.

Evolve people. Stop using "culture" and "tradition" to justify cruelty.

Garrett Smith
03-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Eric,
Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to bet the midwife knows what to do in that area already, and the rabbi who does the baby's blessing (Cori doesn't really want to refer to it as a "bris") will definitely know what is going on.

Jamila,
I have strong feelings on the subject too. I don't see much of an issue these days for young men and the "locker room" problems, as kids are so self-conscious that they're always trying to cover themselves up as much as possible, and at my schools growing up kids always saved their showers for when they got home (anything else was assumed by the majority to be skirting homosexuality). Really, looking back on my school years, no one would have ever really known otherwise. That's combined with the fact that it is really not as regular a practice in the US as it was when I was growing up.

With home schooling, I don't see how it would ever become an issue for my (potential) son.

If he wanted to do it after the age of 18, and hopefully the choice wasn't being made by his other head over a love interest, I'd be more than happy to let him pay for it and get it done. Other than that, it's a moot point here.

Michael Miller
03-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Doc G, Happy Belated Birth Wish for you and your wiife! I guess i haven't been paying as much attention to the threads as i should have, but thats really great to hear! Much luck with the world domination and immortality thing after the little one is born...i would be welling to help in any way that i could:D Hopefully the regime can be based out of the cattle and coffee farm in Costa Rica :cool: ...if you get that part figured out i want in!

sarena kopciel
03-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Just wanted to pass along this info I recvd about an organically produced line of infant food and formulas for the possibility if breast doesnt workout, supplementation and/or transitioning to solid food. Got this from a very holistic acupuncture/color practitioner friend!!
http://www.holle.ch/english/Ernaehrung/Ernaehrung.htm
From her email:
The letter I received from the Internationale Apotheke stated that cereal has to be sent to either a pharmacy or a physician. I'm not sure if a chiropractor qualifies. One could ask them.
The easiest way to order is either to fax or call. Fax # is 011-49-40-30960633. Phone # is
011-49-40309606-0. If faxing be sure to include the credit card #. Call if any further questions.

Check out the following website for information on all Holle products, whats in them, how they are prepared, and what ages to give what: www.holle.ch/english. However due to the problem of bringing it into this country order from the Internationale Apotheke located in Hamburg and have it sent either a physician or pharmacy like the apothecary, although one would have to ask them first. I gave you the fax and phone # if one needs to call. A contact person in regard to the products is Angela Welz. Her email is the following: awelz@holle.ch. The Apotheke isn't able to answer questions in regard to the products. I hope this helps.

Garrett Smith
09-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Quick update:

We are in the early stages of labor, contractions about 1 minute long, 3-4 minutes apart.

Cori is in bed, trying to get some rest before the marathon gets into full swing.

Next update will be after the baby is born!

Craig Brown
09-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Y'all have as much fun with this as is possible! My best to Cori, you, and baby!

Craig

Steve Forman
09-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Right on!!!! Good luck and congrats.

Allen Yeh
09-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Nice!

Camille Lore
09-05-2008, 01:13 PM
YAY! Good luck!!

Patrick Donnelly
09-05-2008, 08:53 PM
POST BABY PICTURES!!!

Sorry for the capslock; it had to be done.

Jamila Bey
09-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm sending all my best happy happy vibes your way!

Happy Birthday Little G!

Garrett Smith
09-08-2008, 09:19 AM
I will be typing up the whole story soon, once I get the chance to be off of baby duty! We're really trying to help Cori get some much needed sleep.

In the meantime, here she is:

Taryn Rose Smith
7 pounds 12 ounces
20 1/4 inches long
Born 3:35pm on Saturday 9/6/2008

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4725/6/34/66/16/37/4/437166634603_0_ALB.jpg
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4725/6/34/66/17/27/5/527176634603_0_ALB.jpg
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4725/6/34/66/88/53/1/153886634603_0_ALB.jpg

And my favorite...
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4725/6/34/76/84/90/4/490847634603_0_ALB.jpg

Steven Low
09-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Congrats!!

Allen Yeh
09-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Congratulations!

Jay Cohen
09-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Best wish's.
Jay

Garrett Smith
09-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks so much everyone. I wanted to post this to bump the pictures I finally figured out how to add.

Honestly, by the comments we received about her from the nursery and OB folks, one might start to think that really healthy babies are a rarity these days!

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Garrett,
This is awesome stuff. I've got two little girls of my own. Well, they're not little anymore, but dealing with those has helped me help others deal with their own. Little boys on the other hand....I'm clueless.

Enjoy the ride.

When she gets a bit older, few weeks, get a snuggli and take her on walks. It's awesome closeness time.

Up until my youngest was about a year, I would put her in the snuggli, and put her older sister on my shoulders and go hiking/walking on secure surfaces. Got me fit!!

All the best,
Arden

Scott Kustes
09-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Congrats Garrett! That's awesome.

sarena kopciel
09-08-2008, 11:10 AM
WOW!! She is gorg! Congrats and best wishes from my kids here in Israel too!!
Cori looks wiped and it seems it was a LONG labor:-)

josh everett
09-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Congratulations! I've been checking this thread like mad waiting for an update! When are you going to start her on snatches?... 6 months :)

Garrett Smith
09-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Actually, I've already got her working on her grip strength...

She lays back on a pillow, grabs my pinky fingers, and I start pulling up, she comes with. I'm not letting her head leave the pillow yet, but she's really hanging on so far.

There is a ton on brachiation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachiation) development Modern humans retain many physical characteristics that suggest a protobrachiator ancestor, including flexible shoulder joints and fingers well-suited for grasping. In apes, these characteristics were adaptations for brachiation. Although humans do not normally brachiate, our anatomy suggests that brachiation may be a preadaptation to bipedalism, and healthy modern humans are still capable of brachiating. Some children’s parks include monkey bars which children play on by brachiating.

from the Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential (http://www.iahp.org/), in their DVD/VHS "How To Teach Your Baby To Be Physically Superb" (http://www.gentlerevolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=G&Product_Code=0816DVD&Category_Code=VAN). A buddy of mine got it, used the techniques for a while, he never completed the progression. I'm hoping to succeed with it!

Brachiating--use it or lose it! :cool:

Thank goodness for mothers and mothers-in-law that live <15 minutes away...

Steve Liberati
09-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Congrats....what great news!

Arien Malec
09-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Congratulations! It's an incredible ride -- tiring but all worth it.

Jamila Bey
09-08-2008, 04:05 PM
CONGRATS!!!

I know it's a bit early for such things, but I know a well-raised 3 month old little boy who thinks your baby is adorable!:)

All best to you.

Eva Claire Synkowski
09-08-2008, 04:28 PM
congratulations, dr. g!

Derek Simonds
09-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Nothing but the best to you and Cori. I can't wait til the next time I get out to Tucson to see her in person.

Once again best wishes from our family.

Yuen Sohn
09-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Congratulations Garrett! Excellent news.

Dave Van Skike
09-08-2008, 09:49 PM
great job and good luck...sleep now, sleep often and hold her all the time, they really do grow ridiculously fast...

Frank Needham
09-09-2008, 04:56 AM
Congrats on the new addition to the tribe Garrett!

Allen Yeh
09-09-2008, 07:07 AM
great job and good luck...sleep now, sleep often and hold her all the time, they really do grow ridiculously fast...

Truth.

Tirzah Harper
09-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Congratulations and best wishes to you all! Savor the moments...they pass fast. Except for the sleepless nights and the tantrums LOL.

Ken Urakawa
09-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Congrats to you both! Welcome to Parenthood...hope you get more sleep than I do...!

Garrett Smith
09-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks, all!

The sleep issue is already becoming a significant challenge...must fix...soon...zzzzzzz

Ken Urakawa
09-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks, all!

The sleep issue is already becoming a significant challenge...must fix...soon...zzzzzzz

Less than a week and you're already breaking?? Talk to me in a year or two.:D

Jamila Bey
09-16-2008, 02:30 AM
I do think that my next baby is gonna be a birth center child. I immensely loved my hospital experience, but I want to go lower tech next time and make sure Hubby catches.

I think the next time around he may not be so stunned!

Garrett Smith
09-16-2008, 06:45 AM
More pics:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?UV=507186932966_794269654603&collid=30979106303.672048554603.1221584344151&photoid=633077554603&folderid=0&amp;view=1&amp;page=1&amp;sort_order=&amp;albumsperpage =&amp;navfolderid=2008
http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?UV=507186932966_794269654603&collid=30979106303.672048554603.1221584344151&photoid=541977554603&folderid=0&amp;view=1&amp;page=1&amp;sort_order=&amp;albumsperpage =&amp;navfolderid=2008
http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?UV=507186932966_794269654603&collid=30979106303.672048554603.1221584344151&photoid=599097554603&folderid=0&amp;view=1&amp;page=1&amp;sort_order=&amp;albumsperpage =&amp;navfolderid=2008

:D

The umbilical cord remnant fell off yesterday. Things are going quite well so far...

Frank Needham
09-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Is it just me? The pics don't seem to be there!

Garrett Smith
09-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Argh. Working on it, the last ones worked!!! Try them again, I linked to the website instead of trying to link to the picture directly. Let me know if it works now...

Gant Grimes
09-16-2008, 10:41 AM

Too fast.

Enjoy the new addition.

Frank Needham
09-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Argh. Working on it, the last ones worked!!! Try them again, I linked to the website instead of trying to link to the picture directly. Let me know if it works now...

She's beautiful Garrett..good job !!