PDA

View Full Version : Meds on IF

Patrick Donnelly
02-25-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm scheduled to take an antibiotic three times a day right now, for a little over a week. Two of the times each day fall during my fasting period, and I'm wondering if they'll be absorbed properly still.

Anyone have any info on this?

Greg Battaglia
02-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Warning: I'm not a doctor!

However, I believe that unless noted on the bottled (or in the pamphlet that comes with most meds) that the medication must be taken with food I think you're fine taking them during a fast. To be sure, I'd call your doctor and ask him /her if it can be taken on empty.

I've taken antibiotics while fasting before and had no adverse effects. Then again, the anti's I was taking were supposed to be taken on empty.

If you don't mind me asking, what anti's are you taking, and for what condition? If you're not comfortable answering that, then don't.

Patrick Donnelly
02-25-2008, 08:27 PM
It's called "cephalexen," and it says it may be taken with or without food (my question pertained to how long "without food" could be... most people don't go 16 hours without food). I broke a toe on Saturday, and the nail bruised pretty badly too. The doctor put a hole in the nail to drain the bruise, and didn't want to leave the possibility of infection.

The bruise didn't even drain too. The blood had already coagulated. Heh.

Garrett Smith
02-26-2008, 05:49 AM
Patrick,
If the directions say they can be taken without food, then you'll be fine taking them fasting. They may even work better that way.