PDA

View Full Version : Favorite S&C coaches and resources

Neal Winkler
11-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Who are your top ten favorite strength and conditioning coaches?

Also, what are your top ten favorite S&C resources(books, journals, ect.)?

Mark Joseph Limbaga
11-30-2006, 05:31 PM
In no particular order:

Al Vermeil, Charles Staley, Alwyn Cosgrove, Dan John, Mike Rutherford, Jason Postulka, Louie Simmons

Books: Facts and fallacies of fitness, explosive lifting for sports, the zone, supertraining

Mike ODonnell
11-30-2006, 05:54 PM
What Mark said above......Plus.... Paul Chek, Juan Carlos Santana, Mike Boyle. Charles Poliqiun, Mike Mahler, John Berardi, Pavel Tsatsouline...

Books...articles...DVDs....forums....anything by those authors. Oh and anything Rob Wolf posts too. :) No seriously....I admire his nutritional background, knowledge and willing to share it with all us common folks. (Have to do some asskissing until I at least have 20 posts. Ha)

Sam Lepore
11-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Starting Strength is a good book by Rippetoe.

Just got it and love it. :D

Yael Grauer
12-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Oh and anything Rob Wolf posts too. :) No seriously....I admire his nutritional background, knowledge and willing to share it with all us common folks.

Here, here!

When's the book coming out?

Brad Hirakawa
12-04-2006, 04:02 PM
In no particular order... Wolf, Glassman, Dan John. Three kings if you ask me. I've only really had three S&C coaches per se, and those guys are it. I also like that gymnastic coach I met in Colorado way back when, but I forget his name (senility hit me early). Coach Sommer may be his name, but I'm probalby spelling it wrong.

I was never big on training books. Don't remember ever reading one. Not big on diet books either. Just figured I should eat lots of veggies and some healthy animals. Then again.. I'm not a trainer or coach, so I never really had to become an "expert" in those fields.

I did read Arnold's Encyclopdia of Body Buliding when I was a teenager, and obsessed with getting huuuuggeeee. :)

Brad

Mark Joseph Limbaga
12-04-2006, 05:47 PM
What Mark said above......Plus.... Paul Chek, Juan Carlos Santana, Mike Boyle. Charles Poliqiun, Mike Mahler, John Berardi, Pavel Tsatsouline...

Books...articles...DVDs....forums....anything by those authors. Oh and anything Rob Wolf posts too. :) No seriously....I admire his nutritional background, knowledge and willing to share it with all us common folks. (Have to do some asskissing until I at least have 20 posts. Ha)

The only thing I have against Pavel is there's too much marketing in his books

Mike ODonnell
12-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Marekting is hard to escape from anyone out there nowadays...I like Pavel's concepts, take what I can use.....not buying all his stuff though. Carlos is good too...but he markets a ton also....like his books, some good ideas....nothing revolutionary but ideas here and there. I like anything that I can use for reference quickly to remember exercises and programs...as I can't store them all in my head....college and beer have killed too many brain cells.

Brad Hirakawa
12-05-2006, 06:29 AM
College and brain cells... I hear ya!

Brad

Chuck Kechter
12-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Dan John for sure... I also use the work of Ross Enamait and Liam Bauer (Taku).