PDA

View Full Version : healthy mayonaise brands

Casey Williams
03-02-2008, 02:23 PM
What are some good/healthy versions or brands of mayonaise? I want to make some chicken salad to have for lunch at work...any suggestions on brands i could pick up?
casey

Jay Cohen
03-02-2008, 02:45 PM
What are some good/healthy versions or brands of mayonaise? I want to make some chicken salad to have for lunch at work...any suggestions on brands i could pick up?
casey

Make your own.
You'll be amazed at the bright flavor of homemade mayonnaise. It's really very simple and fast to make with a blender or processor. Variations are given for flavored mayonnaises as well.
INGREDIENTS:

* 2 egg yolks
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
* 1/8 teaspoon sugar
* Pinch cayenne pepper
* 4 to 5 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar
* 1-1/2 cups olive or other salad oil
* 4 teaspoons hot water

Blender or Processor Mayonnaise Place yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, pepper, and 3 teaspoons lemon juice in blender cup or work bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade, and buzz 15 seconds (use low blender speed). Now, with motor running, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup oil (use moderately high blender speed). As mixture begins to thicken, continue adding oil in a fine steady stream, alternating with hot water and remaining lemon juice. Stop motor and scrape mixture down from sides of blender cup or work bowl as needed.