PDA

View Full Version : Indicators of Increased Insulin Sensitivity?

Billy_Brummel
12-01-2006, 11:53 AM
From the little I've read about IF, it seems that one of the chief benefits is increased insulin sensitivity.

Are there any tangible signs that I can look for while doing IF that would tell me my insulin sensitivity has increased?

What length of time does one have to implement IF before these start emerging?

My wife says I'm very sensitive.

Thanks for humoring my newbie questions.

Neal Winkler
12-01-2006, 12:53 PM
While IF does improve insulin sensitivity, it has other touted benefits like improved lifespan, enhanced immune system, and improved resistance to neurological disorders like parkisons and alzheimers via upregualtion of brain-derived neurotrophic factor. However, improved insulin sensitivity and lowered levels of inflamatory factors like homocysteine are the only things that I have seen shown in humans thus far. I havn't checked on any new research in a couple months though.

Tangible signs your insulin sensitivity is improving:

Fat loss.

You can go longer without feeling hungry.

Crave sugary/sweet food less.

Robb Wolf
12-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Neal covered it! One could use blood work to look at systemic inflammation, insulin levels and glycated hemoglobin...but that gets pricey.

kevin mckay
12-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Great info! I have decreased my window form 10am-6pm to 12-6pm with no discomfort, guess that is a good sign.

Thanks

Chris Forbis
12-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Would a drop in triglycerides go hand-in-hand with increased insulin sensitivity?

Neal Winkler
12-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, just like a low carb diet.

kevin mckay
03-07-2007, 10:44 AM
The best thing for me so far is I no longer get blood sugar fluctuations which was a major issue for mood energy level and concentration.

Mike ODonnell
03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
decrease of "love handles"