PDA

View Full Version : Are nuts really essential on Paleo?

Kevin Perry
03-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Im just wondering. I don't eat a lot of nuts and my meals consist largely of veggies and meat plus fish oil. And my fat intake is not so great and im trying to tune it in but the thing is that I don't enjoy nuts very much. Are they really essential for an effective paleo diet? Could I just sub more avacado or olive oil instead?

Allen Yeh
03-05-2008, 02:55 AM
Im just wondering. I don't eat a lot of nuts and my meals consist largely of veggies and meat plus fish oil. And my fat intake is not so great and im trying to tune it in but the thing is that I don't enjoy nuts very much. Are they really essential for an effective paleo diet? Could I just sub more avacado or olive oil instead?

Coconut milk/oil would be a good sub also I believe.

Dan Heaney
03-05-2008, 03:03 AM
Could I just sub more avacado or olive oil instead?

I don't see why not but I guess it depends on how hard core Paleo you are. I take Olive Oil, Walnuts, Pecans, Fish oil plus what ever is in the meats that I eat.

sarena kopciel
03-05-2008, 04:19 AM
There was a thread here a while ago about nuts and seeds. You are prob best off without the nuts; many actually do not digest them well (myself included)!! Just be sure to up the oils from other sources--avocado, evoo, coconut oil/fat/milk, olives etc, if you do dairy use grass fed whole milk dairy products too!!

Steve Liberati
03-05-2008, 04:42 AM
I stopping buying the bag of mixed nuts from TJ's for two reasons: 1.) find myself eating too many in one sitting (too easy to go overboard) and 2.) throws my omega-3 to omega-6 ratio out of whack.

For some reason, I seem to have more control with the jars as opposed to the nuts. Besides, I bet nuts were more of a treat for paleo man than a snack they ate 3 times a day.

Garrett Smith
03-05-2008, 05:36 AM
No, nuts/seeds are not essential to Paleo at all.

Kevin Perry
03-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Ok thanks for the replies, Im not a fan much of nuts except for macadamias but those get expensive. Hmm I never actually thought of adding coconut milk/oil into the diet as I thought it was'nt proper "fats" so to speak. Only used it for mass gain.

Dan Heaney
03-05-2008, 06:13 AM
I stopping buying the bag of mixed nuts from TJ's for two reasons: 1.) find myself eating too many in one sitting (too easy to go overboard) and 2.) throws my omega-3 to omega-6 ratio out of whack.

For some reason, I seem to have more control with the jars as opposed to the nuts. Besides, I bet nuts were more of a treat for paleo man than a snack they ate 3 times a day.

I chop them up and eat them a tbsp at a time. Otherwise I would eat way too many too! I usually just add them to spinach salads.

Dan Heaney
03-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Has anyone tried the coconut oil on sale at Walmart? It's in the vitamin isle

Kevin Perry
03-05-2008, 07:31 AM
one other question, since fats are my weak point. How is it best to take them and how much do you normally consume in one day?

I go through about 8 capsules of fish oil per day. But with olive oils, etc, how do I know how much to take in per day? And is it best to take it by spoonfull or just pour it/cook it with your meals? or variety.

Dan Heaney
03-05-2008, 08:49 AM
one other question, since fats are my weak point. How is it best to take them and how much do you normally consume in one day?

I go through about 8 capsules of fish oil per day. But with olive oils, etc, how do I know how much to take in per day? And is it best to take it by spoonfull or just pour it/cook it with your meals? or variety.

I typically eat 2-3 tbsp of nuts, 1 tbsp EVOO, 2-4 tbsp of Flaxmeal and 9-12 fish oil caps

Ari Kestler
03-05-2008, 09:46 AM
I typically eat 2-3 tbsp of nuts, 1 tbsp EVOO, 2-4 tbsp of Flaxmeal and 9-12 fish oil caps

That's all the fat you eat? That's it?

Maybe my numbers are off but roughly a 1/4 cup of nuts is around 20g of fat. 1 TBSP of EVOO is 14g and a medium sized avocado is roughly 20-25g...to the best of my knowledge.

It is not unheard of for me to eat 2 avocados at lunch, a handful of nuts (probably 40g of fat) and some jerky later on and then a pound of meat and veggies normally sauteed in EVOO) and then a shot or 2 of EVOO...

Dan Heaney
03-05-2008, 09:59 AM
That's all the fat you eat? That's it?

Maybe my numbers are off but roughly a 1/4 cup of nuts is around 20g of fat. 1 TBSP of EVOO is 14g and a medium sized avocado is roughly 20-25g...to the best of my knowledge.

It is not unheard of for me to eat 2 avocados at lunch, a handful of nuts (probably 40g of fat) and some jerky later on and then a pound of meat and veggies normally sauteed in EVOO) and then a shot or 2 of EVOO...

Here is a my average fat intke for the last 2 weeks.

Fat: 119g 1075 39% (of daily intake)
S: 23g 210 8%
P: 25g 227 8%
M: 37g 331 12%

Mike ODonnell
03-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Besides increasing inflammation (that I can notice), this article referenced a while back got me off nuts....
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/unsaturatedfats.shtml