PDA

View Full Version : Doh I love eggs but hate not having good source

Greg Davis
03-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Came across this from Mercola (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/2/19/most-grocery-store-eggs-far-more-likely-to-be-infected.aspx):
What Kind of Eggs Should You Buy, and Where Can You Find Them?

First of all, I strongly encourage you to ignore the hype of “designer” eggs and AVOID ALL omega-3 eggs, as they are actually LESS healthy for you.

Typically, the animals are fed poor-quality sources of omega-3 fats that are already oxidized. Additionally, omega-3 eggs are far more perishable than non-omega-3 eggs so they don’t stay fresh nearly as long.

Obviously I wish I had a good source of pasture raised chicken eggs.... but damn thats just not gonna happen espcially this time of year and I love eggs. I wonder if Mercola has a good point here? I do buy the "o-3" varieties in the store..

Mike ODonnell
03-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Not sure how flaxseeds fed to chickens are a danger, if anything they lose some of the omega 3 content to air and light. Unless you can find chickens fed grass or grass fed beef I can't imagine sweating this one.

Steve Liberati
03-05-2008, 06:58 PM
The biggest problem with store bought O-3 eggs is the price. $4-5 a cartoon is a bit steep in my book. Lucky for me, we buy grass fed chicken eggs up the street from our house for $2.00 a cartoon (and they're HUGE!).

Does make you wonder why O-3 eggs were not available 10 years ago. Was there not a demand or are grocery stores just cashing in on a beefed up marketing story.

Chris Forbis
03-06-2008, 04:40 AM
I get 660mg O-3 per egg for $2.29 a dozen. Christopher Eggs is the brand name (great name they have too!). Slanker's called them the best mass-produced egg they've found. I like them.

Greg Davis
03-06-2008, 05:13 AM
Damn Steve sounds like you are real lucky in this case!

Here in Toronto I can usually find them for under $3.50 or so..

My thoughts are they are still worth it.. I think Mercola is mostly worried about food poisoning, freshness, etc. but I doubt there is anything alarming about the fatty acid content of these eggs.

Mike ODonnell
03-06-2008, 06:17 AM
I think Mercola is mostly worried about food poisoning, freshness, etc. but I doubt there is anything alarming about the fatty acid content of these eggs.

I like Mercola's stuff...but he does worry about alot...

Garrett Smith
03-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Every year Mercola changes some major opinion of his regarding eggs.

Eggs are so allergenic for so many people, I'd personally say to make sure that eggs are suitable (at all) for the person before worrying about all the things Mercola does!

Brian Lau
03-06-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm starting to think that omega-3 eggs are a marketing gimmick. Although the cartons will often advertise hundreds of milligrams of omega-3s per egg, it turns out that much of this is wasted as linolenic acid (ALA, from feeding the birds flaxseed); omega-3 eggs only contain about 75-140 milligrams of DHA (and neglible EPA) per egg. A normal egg contains about 20 mg/egg of DHA. In my neck of the woods, omega-3 eggs cost about $4, almost twice as much as unenhanced eggs. So I'm paying an extra 16 cents/egg for ~100 mg DHA. That's half the DHA in a single gel of Carlson's Super Omega-3 gelcaps (which cost about 16 cents per gelcap). I'd rather save my money, buy the gelcaps and get some EPA while I'm at it (a Carlson's gelcap has 300 mg EPA + 200 mg DHA).

Mike ODonnell
03-06-2008, 06:15 PM
The only real benefit I see to the Omega 3 eggs is that it is less Omega 6 in the yolk. I really dont expect much EPA/DHA from the eggs. Of course grass fed is ideal.

Brian Lau
03-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Well, I agree that the omega-6/omega-3 ratio is lower in omega-3 eggs, but I wonder if this is more a perceived than actual benefit since the absolute amounts of PUFAs are low in eggs to begin with.