PDA

View Full Version : All Hail the Decline of America

John Alston
03-06-2008, 06:42 AM
It has 80 pieces of cardiovascular fitness equipment, like treadmills and elliptical machines. Televisions hang from the ceiling. And the gym has weight-lifting machines, free weights, tanning, free fitness training and massage chairs.

It also has a "lunk alarm" - an actual alarm that goes off when someone grunts, groans, pounds their chest or does any other obnoxious gym behavior - and a staff trained to shoo away bodybuilder types.

"We don't cater to the big guys, the bodybuilders. Our whole thing is a non-intimidating atmosphere," said co-owner Ron Huling, who owns the local Planet Fitness franchise with Mahdi "Andy" Abro. "Eighty percent of our members have never been in a gym before. It's our judgment free zone - no body builders, no power lifters, no grunt and groaners.

http://www.mlive.com/business/index.ssf/2008/02/planet_puts_new_spin_on_gym.html

Anyone see the irony in "judgment free" and their prohibitions?

Allen Yeh
03-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Yes god forbid you actually workout intensely. That would just be freaking stupid!

Derek Simonds
03-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Thats why I love my garage. I can do whatever I want!

Plus I would have been too embarrased to have been seen grunting, trying to squeeze out 10 reps with 45 LB's on those stupid Bulgarian Split Squats. Getting kicked out for that might have been enough to make me give up lifting for a while. ;)

Mike ODonnell
03-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Sadly enough that kind of environment sells memberships.....

Allen Yeh
03-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Sadly enough that kind of environment sells memberships.....

Of course it does, you can go through there and pick out all the yo-yo dieters/fad exercisers that haven't met a single goal they have set in years.

Mike ODonnell
03-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Of course it does, you can go through there and pick out all the yo-yo dieters/fad exercisers that haven't met a single goal they have set in years.

In the general mass public, there's little money in real fitness and results....there's billions in selling the illusion of selling an image of getting personal fitness and giving a quick fix.

sarena kopciel
03-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Heres a picture of the new gym (http://gettothegym.com/englewood.htm) where I am co-running the Youth Fitness program! It is always empty and I cant decide if they are trying to be a gym or a spa. Oh and check out the space age steam room seats (http://gettothegym.com/images/0110.jpg)--kinda I didnt understand why they were in the women's area they look so much like (excuse me) urinals.... Now imagine walking into this "room" when its all heated up and steamy..It is weird...

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-06-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm very fortunate, I sometimes train at a local YMCA. I also frequently train with Phil Pfister and a few other well known strength athletes. The Y has welcomed us and we aren't overly loud or anything. But to the casual observer.....it gets sorta scary and we've been told as much.

Normally as Phil and I are readying ourselves for a clean/deadlift session in the locker room, he'll look over at me and say something like "Let's go scare the woman the children." Kinda sets the mood. :D

All the best,
Arden

Yuen Sohn
03-06-2008, 04:54 PM
It also has a "lunk alarm" - an actual alarm that goes off when someone grunts, groans, pounds their chest or does any other obnoxious gym behavior - and a staff trained to shoo away bodybuilder types.

I'd like to know what this training consists of! Do they offer a cert?

While I don't agree with their policy, I can kind of see where they're coming from. They probably just want to keep out those drama kings who do screaming leg press partials and then proceed to walk around the gym like they're living legends (while, of course, leaving every damn plate on the machine for the staff to clean up). It's unfortunate that those with completely justifiable reasons to "make noise" are lumped into that same category.

John Seiler
03-06-2008, 06:32 PM
For purposes of disclosure I will admit that I manage an upscale 'globo gym' AND spa. On the CF boards I'm usually the voice of reason that advises people to actually discuss things with gym management because, hey, you never know, they just might buy a platform and bumpers and dedicated Oly bars like a certain upscale 'globo gym' AND spa I know.

With that out of the way, perhaps I'm just feeling a bit daffy today. I'm thinking it would be fun to get a pass to that gym and do some ridiculously heavy partial quarter-squats whilst bellowing like an angry bull elephant and then doing a Will Farrell "Old School" imitation: "I am back! You know it!" while karate kicking a weight tree or two on my way out the door. The mother-of-all-lunkhead alerts, if you will.

Oh, and John, the barbarians have been at the gate for some time now. :)

Patrick Donnelly
03-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Those Planet Fitness alarms have been around for a long time already.

That just means the decline is already farther ahead than you thought.

Gittit Shwartz
03-08-2008, 12:52 PM
I just started lifting in a new gym in a new town which in the mornings (when I lift) is full of senior citizens.
My grandfather described the view as you enter as "a vision of Hell": a huge matrix of treadmills and stationary bikes with people running, sweating but unable to escape, each with his own grimace of suffering...
So I went to the free weights corner to do some deadlifts and then gymnastics strength work and immediately picked up a fan club of 70-year-old men who had been athletes in Russia back in the day. They were so thrilled to see a woman lifting weights and challenged me to an L-sit competition!... The funny thing is that they were all doing bodybuilding type stuff.

Garrett Smith
03-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Gittit,
Those guys sound like what Jack LaLanne has reduced himself to these days...

Paul Findley
03-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Heres a picture of the new gym (http://gettothegym.com/englewood.htm) where I am co-running the Youth Fitness program! It is always empty and I cant decide if they are trying to be a gym or a spa. Oh and check out the space age steam room seats (http://gettothegym.com/images/0110.jpg)--kinda I didnt understand why they were in the women's area they look so much like (excuse me) urinals.... Now imagine walking into this "room" when its all heated up and steamy..It is weird...

Wow, how many $100,000 in equipment do you suspect?

sarena kopciel
03-09-2008, 12:13 PM
I just started lifting in a new gym in a new town which in the mornings (when I lift) is full of senior citizens.
My grandfather described the view as you enter as "a vision of Hell": a huge matrix of treadmills and stationary bikes with people running, sweating but unable to escape, each with his own grimace of suffering...
So I went to the free weights corner to do some deadlifts and then gymnastics strength work and immediately picked up a fan club of 70-year-old men who had been athletes in Russia back in the day. They were so thrilled to see a woman lifting weights and challenged me to an L-sit competition!... The funny thing is that they were all doing bodybuilding type stuff.

And the winner was??

Where in Israel is this? I guess when I come to visit my kids next, I will have to come visit you too!!

Gittit Shwartz
03-09-2008, 12:59 PM
I let him win ;)
Kidding, we didn't actually compete but the guy showed off for me - he asked someone to time him and held a perfect 90 degree angle (hanging from a bar, not pushing off the floor) for about 30 seconds, til he was shaking from the effort. I appreciated how hard he was trying to impress me.
Sarena, I live in Haifa as a rule. Right now I'm on a sort of vacation for a few weeks so I'm staying with my grandparents near Tel Aviv. Training at the Maccabiah, which is where the "Jewish Olympics" are held. (BTW, I just started my own thread under Training Logs for this time and I'd love to get some feedback!) But in normal times I train at Ido Portal's place in Haifa and that's definitely a great place to visit. It revolves around Capoeira and we also have acrobatics and something like Crossfit. Definitely stop by when you come to Israel!