PDA

View Full Version : Cal/Mag/D supplements

Margie Lempert
03-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey all,

I'm currently taking a cal citrate/D supplement, but was thinking I wanted to incorporate some magnesium into my life after reading posts on PM. Is a cal/mag/d supplement (taken with food for best absorption) a good idea? Or is is it better to take cal/D together and mag separately? Or ditch the D, go with cal/Mag and get out in the sun (following the advice given from Scott's post)?

Also, calcium citrate is the best form, yes?

sarena kopciel
03-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Hey all,

I'm currently taking a cal citrate/D supplement, but was thinking I wanted to incorporate some magnesium into my life after reading posts on PM. Is a cal/mag/d supplement (taken with food for best absorption) a good idea? Or is is it better to take cal/D together and mag separately? Or ditch the D, go with cal/Mag and get out in the sun (following the advice given from Scott's post)?

Also, calcium citrate is the best form, yes?

Margie I have been using this magnesium product (http://www.petergillham.com/product-line/peter-gillhams-natural-calm.php) for years now (on and off), more on now thanks to support from Dr G!
Helps with sleep and elimination too. And if you are eating a bucket load of greens like I am several times a day you prob get way enough calcium!! Vit D--get outside!!

Mike ODonnell
03-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Put lemon in your water to keep your ph balance more alkaline...overly acidic ph drains alkaline minerals like magnesium...calcium....

as for Vit D, take some cod liver oil and get outside....

I like ZMA for my zinc and mg

Margie Lempert
03-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Yes, lemon is a good liver cleanser too... I take nordic naturals. Is cod liver oil more useful for D than other kinds of fish oil?

Sarena, you know I love the greens. I need extra calcium, though, so I try to get it in different forms to insure bioavailability. Not doing very much dairy, so I am opting for a supplement. Thanks for the mag tip!

sarena kopciel
03-07-2008, 03:10 AM
Yes, lemon is a good liver cleanser too... I take nordic naturals. Is cod liver oil more useful for D than other kinds of fish oil?

Sarena, you know I love the greens. I need extra calcium, though, so I try to get it in different forms to insure bioavailability. Not doing very much dairy, so I am opting for a supplement. Thanks for the mag tip!

I also use a CLO from Dr G. This (http://www.greenpasture.org/node/36) is product he recommends!!

Garrett Smith
03-07-2008, 05:53 AM
I'm not a fan of the D3 in supplements. Get good sunlight (early hours, later afternoon, don't get burned) as much as possible, and supplement with some CLO to cover any holes.

Calcium will not be absorbed properly without proper levels of magnesium present. So, if people are eating well (ie. plenty of veg), I prioritize magnesium way before calcium. I really like Natural Calm, as Sarena mentioned.

Finding a whole food source of calcium would be the best idea, ie. New Chapter or Innate Response. Yes, their absolute content of calcium will be lower, however, they are much more bioavailable and useful to the body.

Margie Lempert
03-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks Dr. G - that is precisely the info I was looking for!

Greg Davis
03-07-2008, 03:25 PM
What is appealing about Natural Calm's magnesium versus the plethora ZMA supplements out there?

Michael Miller
03-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Wonder if this would be any good?
http://www.algaecal.com/order.htm

Garrett Smith
03-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Greg,
It's one of those things where I had another doctor suggest it to me, I tried it myself and with some patients, and it made a significant enough impression on me that I started carrying and recommending it.

Many people don't have enough stomach acid, so digesting and absorbing minerals (like Mg), especially in tablets (like most ZMA) can be difficult. Natural Calm is a powder, and supposedly there is some pH tweaking that is done to make it even more absorbable.

From their website (http://www.petergillham.com/product-line/peter-gillhams-natural-calm.php):
Natural Calm is a water-soluble magnesium powder that provides the most absorbable, effective, fast-acting magnesium available anywhere.

The proprietary process that enables this to occur was discovered twenty-five years ago by nutritional researcher Peter Gillham and, according to users, has been producing "miracles" ever since. This is the reason why Natural Calm is the best-selling powdered or liquid magnesium. (Ref: SPINS data 2006)

According to Carolyn Dean, MD, author and certified clinical nutritionist, "The powdered form [of magnesium] is the best because you start absorbing it straight away, even in the mouth. So, powdered first, and then capsules, and then tablets. The tablets usually have a lot of binders and fillers and are harder to dissolve than capsules."

Yael Grauer
03-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Calm always gives me the runs; I prefer mg glycinate or taurate for max. bowel tolerance.

There is a liquid mag product from Trace Minerals Research I've heard good things about as well.

Right now I do calcimag.

Greg Davis
04-03-2008, 10:27 AM
I found a good price on a New Chapter probiotic called "colon cleanse" (http://www.newchapter.com/products/sensitive-colon-support). The name implies a certain effect.. but looks to me like a good choice for a general probiotic.

Usually I take a few supplements together with a glass of herbal tea in the morning, which is basically ZMA+probiotic. I was wondering if anyone knows if its a bad idea to take these together? ie. i think theyre both meant to be taken on empty stomach but any probs with taking them at same time?

Garrett Smith
04-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Greg,
Some people get quite nauseous, to the point of vomiting, if they take zinc on an empty stomach.

I don't see any problem taking the Zn/Mg/probiotic together.

Tony Ferous
04-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Im with Yael, mag citrate gives me loose bowels if taken on an empty stomach! I thought taking it just with water would simulate real 'mineral water'.
ZMA does not. Perhaps thats good for a 'clean out' occasionally, but not every day...will i become tolerate of it if i continue?

I guess i'll take it with food and see if thats ok, i have 100g of powder i dont wanna throw out.

mg tabs are a pain, you have to take so many tabs for a good dose.

Garrett Smith
04-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Tony,
I've had patients that only "tolerate" 1/2 teaspoon every other day and still find real benefit to that amount. Try taking what you can manage, even if it is a very small dose.

Stanley Daniel
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Based on experience, what's the general consensus when taking Natural Calm? I just received mine today (Raspberry-Lemon.) I've read some good things from here and other places about it so I thought it would be a good try. I'm shooting for a 1/2 teaspoon dose at first to see how I stand and adjust from there...

I spoke with the company today, and they had mentioned that it's best to take it in the evening - some take it in the morning... but in both cases, an empty stomach is preferred...

Still sticking with intermittent fasting (4-5times a week with 2-4 meals in a 6 hour window) and bowel movements have been good daily (no constipation) ever since my initial run many months ago when starting with it - the probiotics helped tremendously - I picked up the one that Dr. G mentioned in the past, "Dr. Ohhira's probiotic 12plus" - never turned back to any other brand since...

I still train on an empty stomach, and usually the only things I have prior to that are the probiotics in the AM upon awakening and some BCAAs before and after I work out.

My main concerns were if the Natural Calm would flush out the probiotics - I take one in the AM and PM respectively, both of which are on an empty stomach - the PM being a few hours after a meal, just before bed -
The other being, has anyone taken a bit both in the AM and PM?

thanks for your thoughts!

Garrett Smith
09-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Stan,
If you get diarrhea from Natural Calm then you are taking too much for your system at once. You can reduce the dose or try taking 2 separated doses as you mention.

I take mine mixed into some hot herbal tea (with some other liquid & powder supps) in the AM. I do a tablespoon a day with no problems.

Stanley Daniel
09-09-2008, 10:42 PM
cool Dr. G, thanks for the heads up - yeah I'll be starting a 1/2 tsp and work from there - I'd like to definitely try it in the AM as opposed to the PM

Last question I had was about the Stevia used in Natural Calm or Stevia by itself in general - would there be a negative impact "i.e. breaking the fast" if one was adhering to utilizing IF?

Anyways, it was just something I wanted to know - there was an old thread on the crossfit board about stevia and insulin sensitivity/resistance - Robb highlighted some interesting points there too - sorry about going off topic here!

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=8749&highlight=stevia&page=2 (w/f/s)