PDA

View Full Version : Nice melons?

Tony Ferous
03-08-2008, 05:48 PM
I never used to eat melons, that Mercola dude put me off saying they are always full of mold. Devany likes them though, and they make a change from apples and berrys. Lots of potassium too i think, and a high water content.

Watermelon has lots of lycopene, and carotenes
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20XQ.html

Comments?

Mike ODonnell
03-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Watermellons are supposed to be good for the kidneys (disolving any kidney stones). Never tried it but a great flush is eating watermellon only all day long and drinking lots of water. Obviously not for diabetics.

Mercola worries a bit too much for my book. Rotational diets should be able to fix any small imperfections in food.

Chris Forbis
03-08-2008, 07:05 PM
I dig cantaloupe.

Jane Michel
03-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Mould where? I love all kinds of melons.

Garrett Smith
03-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Alicia,
The mold is on the outer skin of the melons, which is then believed to be dragged inside along the flesh when it is cut open.

Evolutionary biology-wise, as a person of nearly all Scandinavian heritage, I personally avoid most tropical fruit (except for the occasional pineapple).

Robb Wolf
03-13-2008, 10:40 AM
I was REALLY looking for something else in this thread! I love mellons...we have a profusion of them here in N. California. Great treats int he summer. Mercola is pretty good on some stuff, a bit out to lunch on others.

Mike ODonnell
03-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I was REALLY looking for something else in this thread!

Sighhhhhhhh.........join the club.........if I keep seeing this thread it's going to break me and cost me alot of $1 one night......

Garrett Smith
03-13-2008, 12:02 PM
I thought I'd do a quick research search on this topic for my own benefit:

Moisture content, mould invasion and seed germinability of stored melon (http://www.springerlink.com/content/q72823353r635558/)

Natural occurrence of moulds and aflatoxin B1 in melon seeds from markets in Nigeria (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T6P-4CBDB9N-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=d6fa454ec1f09c18358a32d79f43e5bb)

Moulds and yeasts in fruit salads and fruit juices. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16943069?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum)

Searching on PubMed under "mould" (or "mold") and "melon" comes up with a whole bunch of stuff related to cantaloupes and microbes--enough to raise a suspicious eyebrow, IMO.

Melons likely aren't much of a concern for true low carb Paleo dieters. They might be quite a concern for those Paleo dieters who see fruit included on the list and start going batty over melon--I knew a guy who did this and he said he felt like hell and actually gained weight (and this was a big guy to begin with!).

Ari Kestler
03-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Watermellons are supposed to be good for the kidneys (disolving any kidney stones). Never tried it but a great flush is eating watermellon only all day long and drinking lots of water. Obviously not for diabetics.

Watermellon is also great if you ever find yourself with pretty savvy prop-bettors and get into a food eating contest bet. It normally goes something like this:

Me: I love a,b,c I could eat 10 lbs of it a day.

Them: You can't eat 10 lbs of anything, wanna bet?

Me: Sure, but I pick the food item.

Them: Deal.

Me: I pick watermellon, here's where you send the money....

Sam Cannons
03-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Living in North Queensland melons are all year round.

A good partytrick.... cut a small hole in to a water melon and stick a bottle of Vodka or Tequila in the hole and leave it sit for a couple of hours so the entire bottle empties in there, place it in the freezer over night and ..... well you get the drift. Healthy way to get wasted :) Very good for summer days at the beach.

Mike ODonnell
03-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Very good for summer days at the beach.

...and waking up in a forest....

Greg Battaglia
03-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Dr. G
I found your comment on ethnicity interesting. It makes sense, as there's really no natural supply of tropical fruit in Northern Europe.

Conversely, I'm full blooded Mediterranean stock (Sicilian) and find that I tolerate tropical fruit quite well. I'm not sure as to what extent melons grow in the Mediterranean, but I'm certain that fruit is much more plentiful than in colder northern climates. The only melon that bothers me (lethargic, upset stomach) is honey dew. Cantaloupe and watermelon are my favorites and I feel great after eating them.

Could just be a coincidence, but there could be something to it.

Garrett Smith
03-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Greg,
In this article, Charles Poliquin says something in a similar vein (http://www.t-nation.com/article/bodybuilding/more_poliquin_top_tips):

8. Caveman Carbs

One thing people have to distinguish between is neo-carbs vs. paleo-carbs. With paleo carbs the simple rule is: Were they available to a caveman? Would he have access to grapes and raspberries? Yes. Bagels and pasta? No. Usually, people who are gifted for hypertrophy are gifted for carb intake as well. They can eat a boatload of neo-carbs and feel fine. Also, if you're white, f-k it. You've got to come from a region where there was a lot of agriculture for a long time to be able to handle neo-carbs. If you're from German or Norwegian extraction and come from a line of meat eaters and hunters, then neo-carbs are not for you.

If there was anything in the "fruit" realm that approached a neo-carb, I'd have to say it is modern hybridized melons.