PDA

View Full Version : Great NYT article on grains

Chris Bardwell
03-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Very interesting topic with some good research showing how much demand for all types of grains has risen in recent years, highlighting the increased demand for wheat which has doubled in the last 6 months.

Is this nature's way of telling us to back off the stuff?

Makes me sad to see how many grains are being consumed, this quote is the pick of the bunch:

“I must eat bread and tea in the morning. Otherwise, I can’t be happy,”

W/F/S: A Global Need for Grain That Farms Can’t Fill (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/business/worldbusiness/09crop.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5087&em&en=4c43efb7f0471750&ex=1205211600)

C:confused:

Mike ODonnell
03-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Must be those "whole wheat donuts" I saw the other day increasing all the demand...."Oh...it has whole wheat...must be healthy..."

sarena kopciel
03-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Must be those "whole wheat donuts" I saw the other day increasing all the demand...."Oh...it has whole wheat...must be healthy..."

Sounds like the argument I had with someone the other day--but the rice cakes are so healthy--they are from BROWN RICE! As if he word BROWN has magical powers!!!

Chris Bardwell
03-09-2008, 01:24 PM
the naivety of the general population is stunning, I continue to see people going into Whole Foods and getting served up a pancake dripping in chocolate and they think it is healthy just because they bought it from "Whole Foods".

Garrett Smith
03-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I tell people Whole Foods sells just as much junk food as "normal" grocery stores...the good stuff is still only sold around the outside rim of the store. Middle aisles are only for condiments (if one wants to stay healthy!).

Here's what I typically see at the two types of grocery stores:
Conventional - mostly severely overweight people
Health (Whole) Foods - mostly underweight, sickly-looking people

I do have a major "beef" with my local Whole Foods regarding grassfed beef. So they start carrying it, to the tune of ONE type of cut. Sure, that doesn't sound too bad...except that the only cut they sold was *Filet Mignon* at around $27/lb.!!! Then, once they decided it wasn't going to sell fast enough, $8/lb. grassfed ground beef magically appeared alongside new Filet Mignon! Problem was, with multiple TJ's around town selling grassfed ground beef at $5/lb., they couldn't sell that either! So, they threw up their hands and decided not to offer ANY grassfed beef at all. Seemed like a plan on someone's part to not have to sell any grassfed beef at WFs--doomed from the start...

Steve Liberati
03-09-2008, 02:22 PM
To save a few pennies, he decided to skip butter. The bread was the important thing.

Important for what? Bad health and obesity.

In the long run, this food race will eventually have devastating effects on our health, economy, and our environment. Sadly hardly any one seems to care. Just consume, consume, consume...keep converting earth's mass into human mass (more farms) and let the chips fall where they may.

At the rate we're going, we might just might as well eat ourselves to extinction. Of course, with the mentality that we own the planet (rather than belong to it), its not a a far stretch of the imagination.

Mike ODonnell
03-09-2008, 05:11 PM
At the rate we're going, we might just might as well eat ourselves to extinction. Of course, with the mentality that we own the planet (rather than belong to it), its not a a far stretch of the imagination.

No worries....the Ipod Model XV with AI will take over and enslave us all....Thanks Steve Jobs...