PDA

View Full Version : Jr at Gasparillo Meet 2008

Derek Simonds
03-09-2008, 04:05 PM
I posted this over at www.gymnasticsbodies.com. I thought I would share with you guys as well.

Here is Jr at the 2008 Gasparillo Meet which is the largest gymnastics meet in the world with over 6000 athletes competing. Jr had his best USAG meet ever, there however was some really stiff competition. Many Latin teams were there and there was 19 athletes in Jr's age group for level 4.

After the meet Jr told me there was a couple of things he would have liked to be able to do over. That was the first time ever that he has said that to me. Don't know if it is good or bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPCZKcyJIbg

sarena kopciel
03-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I posted this over at www.gymnasticsbodies.com. I thought I would share with you guys as well.

Here is Jr at the 2008 Gasparillo Meet which is the largest gymnastics meet in the world with over 6000 athletes competing. Jr had his best USAG meet ever, there however was some really stiff competition. Many Latin teams were there and there was 19 athletes in Jr's age group for level 4.

After the meet Jr told me there was a couple of things he would have liked to be able to do over. That was the first time ever that he has said that to me. Don't know if it is good or bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPCZKcyJIbg

I think you guys must be way PROUD of him! Awesome job JR!

Gant Grimes
03-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Awesome! It's a trip seeing that little dude on the apparatus. He looks more comfortable than he did in the vids you posted a couple months ago. Very nice.

Dave Paton
03-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Have you tried asking him what he meant with his "do over" comment?

Derek Simonds
03-10-2008, 04:14 AM
Have you tried asking him what he meant with his "do over" comment?

Sort of. I was trying not to make a big deal of it when he said it, so later I asked what did you mean and he kind of shrugged it off and said I could have done better. I left it at that.

Allen Yeh
03-10-2008, 05:07 AM
Nice!

sarena kopciel
03-10-2008, 05:21 AM
I think it is somewhere in our makeup to think we can always do better. IMHO he is no different than anyone of us!! But I also think he did amazing. Besides his athletic performance, he appeared quite confident and assured of himself.:)

Derek Simonds
03-10-2008, 06:48 AM
He is getting more confident each time we go. And yes Serena we are extraordinarily proud of him. Not only for his gymnastics but so much more...

Garrett Smith
03-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Excellent. I just sent the link to Cori, she loves watching him!

David Aguasca
03-10-2008, 11:47 AM
great job, jr!

i think it's great that you're involved in your son's life in such a positive way, derek, the world needs more dads like you!

Chris Forbis
03-10-2008, 02:40 PM
I think it is somewhere in our makeup to think we can always do better.

Methinks any human that doesn't feel compelled to do something better the next time around wouldn't have his genes hang in the pool for too long...

sarena kopciel
03-10-2008, 07:28 PM
btw, how old is Junior? I seem to remember 7ish!

Derek Simonds
03-11-2008, 03:47 AM
He turns 8 on the 24th and Laney turns 6 on the 26th. So big days coming for both of them.

Greg Woods
03-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Congrations to your son, Derek. I was very impressed with his body control, especially on the ring routine. My son just turned 8 last month and has been going to gymnastics for roughly 3 months but is a bit lagging in the coordination department. It appears he's working on the same routine as Jr, but your clip is the first time I've seen it strung together. He's watched the clip several times so hopefully something clicks.

Is your daughter taking lessons too? Mine turns 5 on the 25th and is doing great in her classes.

Derek Simonds
03-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Greg I am glad your son has enjoyed watching the routine. Jr and I are working on his floor elements at home a couple of times throughout the week. Floor has been his toughest event by far.

Laney is also a gymnast. She is 5 and turning 6 next week and is on pre team right now and plays soccer. After soccer season she has said she wants to start training for a meet. We will see how that goes.

You make an interesting point that I have discussed with several gym owners. Most sports that boys participate in they show up get a uniform practice a couple of days and BAM they are playing a game. Mom and Dad can invite the other relatives they can sit in the stands and watch and be proud. With competitive gymnastics it doesn't work that way. It is entirely reasonable that a 5 / 6 / 7 year old boy could practice for a year before being close to able to compete at a level 4. AAU is trying to change that with the introduction of a level 3 for the younger boys. This would provide a shorter ramp up to competition and hopefully foster more interest in mens gymnastics.

Greg Woods
03-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Great observation regarding gymnastics vs typical sports. At their age there is a wide range in body awareness / coordination and that's tough to mask in gymnastics compared to soccer, baseball, etc. I try to get him to practice at home but it's tough due to space constraints. He struggles and often looses interest but he's coming along slowly. I go twice a week so hopefully that'll keep him inspired. Arden, on the other hand, will turn a somersault any chance she gets. :rolleyes: