PDA

View Full Version : Ice Baths

Nathan Stanley
03-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Can anyone suggest a resource for the use of ice baths in training? I've recently started to play rugby, and between my weight workouts (3-4 a week), practice (Tues and Thurs) and games on Sat, I believe that I could be benefiting from their use.

Any Ice Bath 101s available or any advice?

Steve Liberati
03-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Hydrotherapy is great for recovery and circulation. I believe Robb Wolf wrote a nice article on the topic some time back in the PM Journal.

Nathan Stanley
03-10-2008, 10:50 AM
I did a search of the back issues of the PM and didn't find anything (doesn't mean its not there). Robb did write an interesting bit on hydrotherapy on his blog (http://robbwolf.com/?p=11).

Mike ODonnell
03-10-2008, 11:06 AM
It's good recovery alright, although I prefer more of a contrast shower (hot/cold) to simulate blood flow and lymphatic system. But then again I am not doing the high volume of training/sport that you are doing.

Ben Moskowitz
03-11-2008, 02:32 PM
MOD I agree with you on the blood circulation bit. It feels good to get all tingly!

I also like to sleep "cold" while warming up under a comforter. A contrast shower session ending on cold really helps get that sleep in.

I like to think of the cold as shutting my body down after that initial pang of "what did I just do!?"

Leslie Poole
04-16-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't have a good resource but I will give a recommendation for the use of ice baths. I believe they have really helped me stave off soreness and speed recovery.

Aimee Anaya Everett
04-17-2008, 08:47 AM
I don't have any resources other than personal experience, but ice baths are fantastic!
During the winter we skip the ice bath and spend some time in the (freezing) cold pool. We also do contrast from the cold pool to the jacuzzi.
When the pool isn't cold enough, we stop at the local liquor store and pick up a couple bags of ice and add it to our cold bath.

When I was at the OTC, I used the cold plunge everyday after every training session. They have a huge cold whirlpool there, which is great.

These types of cold plunge do wonders for your recovery. It is like putting giant ice packs all over your body... cuts down on inflammation, muscle soreness, cramping, and nagging injuries.

I say get cold whenever possible.

Greg Everett
04-17-2008, 11:49 AM
If you can, get a horse trough (http://www.dansboots.com/dansboots/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Rubbermaid+Stock+Tank+%3Cbr%3E+150+Gallo n&pf_id=RUBM_4245&dept_id=80200) where you train. Keep it filled - when necessary add ice, but it'll stay pretty cold, especially in the winter. Perfect size to sit it, relatively cheap, and pretty storable.

Nick Tirkalas
04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
I did a contrasting shower today and F'ing love it. The cold felt so much better than the hot.

I finished with a hot. Is cold better?

Chris Forbis
04-17-2008, 04:32 PM
I did a contrasting shower today and F'ing love it. The cold felt so much better than the hot.

I finished with a hot. Is cold better?

General recommendation seems to be to end with cold.

Steven Low
04-17-2008, 06:57 PM
General recommendation seems to be to end with cold.
Agreed.

I end with cold... if that's anything to you guys. :) Cold ending is better from what I've experienced.

Greg Davis
04-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Agreed.. but added challenge there is that it seems to be more difficult to shave after cold water.. but then again there was a pmenu article on the health benefits of giving blood.

Jay Cohen
04-21-2008, 07:43 AM
So I assume the neighbors or house mates just get use to the screaming?