PDA

View Full Version : Cordain vs. Eades

David Mathews
03-11-2008, 07:49 AM
In Paleo Diet for Athletes Cordain says something to the effect that if you excercise in a fasted state ( i.e. over night and workout early A.M.) you will burn some muscle and in Dr. Eades Protein Power Lifeplan he says that you will burn your fat stores in the same scenario. Am I misinterpeting what they are saying or does it maybe have somthing to do with the type of excercise that is being done ( LSD vs. 15-30 min. metcon). My blackbox tells me I am not burning up my muscle and I am guessing that being more fat adapted now seems to help.Any thoughts?

Mike ODonnell
03-11-2008, 08:36 AM
I think he is referring more to Athletes as in longer activities....vs a strength or metcon based workout. For the most part you always have plenty of muscle glycogen laying around to do a short workout without worrying about catabolizing muscle.

Garrett Smith
03-11-2008, 09:20 AM
David,
I think you are right. The type of exercise plays a huge role and my guess is that the two opinions are based on what each author considers "exercise" (LSD versus strength training).

Greg Davis
03-12-2008, 04:40 AM
Its unfortunate that he wrote that book basically with long distance running in mind..

Mike ODonnell
03-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Its unfortunate that he wrote that book basically with long distance running in mind..

I think that was his consumer "marketing" to a target audience.