PDA

View Full Version : New place to live

Mike ODonnell
03-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Ok after 14 years in Atlanta....I am feeling the need for change....so let's hear about all those great places to live out there....essentially I am more of a smaller town feel kind of guy (too much traffic here), but don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. Would love to be near a beach and/or mountain. (got neither here close by). Would love a small town where one can ride their bike (pedal) and not fear getting run over by a uninsured driver. Something slower paced without an outrageous cost of living. That and even though I want to do some more skiing....not really wanting to go anywhere to freeze my ass off...as living outside of Boston/Upstate NY for my first 21 years was enough for me!

Any suggestions? and of course......must have Guinness on tap somewhere.

Chris Bardwell
03-17-2008, 10:29 AM
If I were in the USA and could pick somewhere to live I would strongly consider either Malibu and thereabouts, or Portland/Eugene, Oregon. Both beautiful in different ways and both cater for the kind of lifestyle a fitness enthusiast would want to be living.

BTW love your blog, every-time a new post pops up on my RSS it makes my day, keep up the good work MOD.

Chris

Jay Cohen
03-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Mike;
Outside Magazine, Mens Journal(not Men's Health) each year publish the Top Spots to live in for various reasons, weather, jobs, babes, recreation, etc.
Search their sites, but in end, it will boil down to what you can afford, if there's work, recreation is a given.

There are some serious gems out there, and with the Internet, it's a great way to kill a few hours.

Mike ODonnell
03-17-2008, 10:42 AM
If I were in the USA and could pick somewhere to live I would strongly consider either Malibu and thereabouts, or Portland/Eugene, Oregon. Both beautiful in different ways and both cater for the kind of lifestyle a fitness enthusiast would want to be living.

BTW love your blog, every-time a new post pops up on my RSS it makes my day, keep up the good work MOD.

Chris

I don't think Malibu (while beautiful) is very cheap cost of living...rather the opposite. I agree with Portand and the west coast...beautiful out there. Hope you enjoyed the RSS Guinness today! Slainte!

Scott Kustes
03-17-2008, 11:53 AM
San Diego in my future. Just gotta sell this house and land a job and I'm there.

Dave Paton
03-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I've lived by both mountains and water, and I like living by the water much much more. The bikini thing helps tip that scales too. So i guess a combo of both would be nice. Vina del Mar Chile, perhaps? Malaga Spain?

Mike ODonnell
03-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Mike;
Outside Magazine, Mens Journal(not Men's Health) each year publish the Top Spots to live in for various reasons, weather, jobs, babes, recreation, etc.
Search their sites, but in end, it will boil down to what you can afford, if there's work, recreation is a given.

Jay, yeah I used to get those magazines...now just go to the library or Barnes and Noble to read them for free. I know Boulder, CO was always high on their list. But yes, where you work also is important part of the equation as I am not going to move without that sorted out first too. Ski bum and Beach bum apparently are not paying high nowdays!

Leo Soubbotine
03-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Lake Mary, Fl I think won the Best City To Live in on Travel channel or something like that in 07.

I like it :D

sarena kopciel
03-17-2008, 02:09 PM
My coach (http://www.next-step-conditioning-systems.com/about-israel-sanchez.html) is moving next week to Bainbridge Island, a ferry ride from Seattle. I hear it is gorgeous there!

Vancouver and its environs are also amazing and surrounded by water and mountains!

Not sure about cost of living though. Both are really fitness oriented atmospheres!

Garrett Smith
03-17-2008, 02:56 PM
If I didn't have family in Tucson, I would likely either be in Oregon, Washington, or Colorado.

Tucson is so weird--generally low incomes and high housing prices.
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/137697

Joe Hart
03-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Tired of the tornadoes huh? MN is nice. It gets a bit cold occasionaly. "Minnesota nice" is a bunch of crap. There is a lot of water and it seems to take its fitness some what seriously. I lived in Socal for 10 years and it was fun. I do miss the ocean and the food in CA. Traffic really sucked and the crime can be scary. I went to school at SC and was there during the Rodney King riots. It started about 5-6 miles from my dorm. Then I graduated and moved to San Diego. I moved back to MN with Darcy(wife) when we started thinking about having kids. MN is where the Grandparents are and I wanted my kids to see them more than once a year. If I were to move it would be to Oregon or Washington, on the coast. I have been facinated with Toas New Mexico. Flagstaff seemed nice when I drove through it, but I am sure Dr. G can elucidate on that. If I had to move to CA it would be San Diego or Northern California.

Jared Buffie
03-18-2008, 06:46 AM
MOD,

We left ATL last year for all the same reasons.

Winnipeg could use a great trainer!

Seriously, after two months of sustained -40 weather, you may want to stay in a warm climate!

Besides Winnipeg being a great place to raise a family (no freeways, guns or subdivisions), family is here. Not sure if that's important to you, but is was (is) to us and our kids.

I do miss mountain biking though, and all the conveniences. Also, cost of living down there was great (WTF is with the taxes up here?).

My wife lived in Helena Montana for a few months. That was interesting. Very small town fell, also outdoorsie.

Mark Bennett
03-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Ireland ;)

Mike ODonnell
03-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Yeah I don't think Canada is on the list....little too cold for my tastes nowadays....

Ireland ;)

If I watch "Waking Ned Devine" one more time....I just might move there.

Garrett Smith
03-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Flagstaff is SO different now than when I went to NAU '94-'95. If you like mountain biking and snow sports in the winter, you might really like it.

My impression the last time I was there (for my CF Level II cert) was simply that it was still a university town with lots of hippys and stoner-types, with the Hispanic population exploding up there (I'm not used to hearing so many Spanish-speaking radio stations once I get north of Phoenix, that's for sure). The locals don't tend to like the university students at all, even though the students would seem to make up 1/3 of the population there.

Like I said, it doesn't seem anything like when I was in early undergrad. CF Flagstaff gets two thumbs up though!

Kevin Perry
03-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Hmm South Carolina is nice. Simpsonville is a small town but clean and practically crime free and the food out here is great and your within driving distance of the coast from Charleston down to Hilton Head, Atlanta and Charlotte and real close. Gets a little too redneck from time to time but not bad.

Lived All over California for most of m childhood growing up. I do not recommend Tracy, CA but southern California is nice expecially San Diego. Mission Veijo and Luguna Nigel are also very nice. Both are within a 30 or so min drive of disney land and LA I think. Now San Luis Obispo is real nice... college town but nice.

Spent a couple years in Omaha, Nebraska. Not sure what else to say there execpt there was a lot of corn and racist people expecially against hispanics.

Derek Simonds
03-18-2008, 12:58 PM
My vote is with Leo. Lake Mary and the surrounding Central FL area is really nice.

If money wasn't an object I would be somewhere around San Diego.

I just thought of something I saw on LoopNet earlier today. There is a real nice gym for sale in Blairesville GA. It looked very interesting especially if you were looking for a city a little more laid back.

Garrett Smith
03-18-2008, 01:47 PM
http://www.findyourspot.com/Default.asp

Robb Wolf
03-19-2008, 09:44 AM
chico. ~ 5 females for every 2 males in the 25-45 age bracket.

Fish, barrel, shoot. Pretty Good gym there too.

Scott Kustes
03-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Robb, there's more to it than quantity. How's the quality of those women? I recall you mentioning something about toothless at one point in time.

Mike ODonnell
03-19-2008, 10:41 AM
I think it was Greg who said get a good supply of Cipro....but I use the theory...if it's warm and a beach nearby...they probably take care of themselves pretty well! Watch out Robb....I might just pack the car up and take up a position of official towel boy at your gym!

James R. Climer
03-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I live in San Luis Obispo County, (city of Paso Robles, north SLO County).

Needs a good trainer...30 minutes to Pacific Ocean, 3-6 hours from skiing in either Mammoth or Lake Tahoe. Heart of central CA coast wine country, plenty of micro-brewery action too. Also a bar downtown called the Crooked Kilt, where the black liquid flows like a river.

I used to live in New Bern, NC and highly recommend the Carolina Coast anywhere from New Bern down to Myrtle Beach, but the skiing ain't quite so convenient.

Now my ultimate choice is to have the job I have now in CA and live in NC, but the commute would kill me.

Nathan Stanley
03-19-2008, 02:15 PM
For the outdoor enthusiest Bend, OR is perhaps the best of all worlds. Its only 2 hours from Eugene, about 3 from Portland and is in the high desert of Central Oregon. Close to Smith Rock, minutes from Mt. Bachelor, the Deschutes River runs through the middle of it, tons of great gold courses and fantastic views of 9 snow peaked volcanoes is attracting tons of amatuer athletes from around the country. There's a crazy number of outdoor athletes per capita that move here. I have friends that say the local caliber of cyclocross and mtn. biking races is crazy because of all the great athletes that move here. I play rugby w/ a guy that played on a Rose Bowl team and for NFL Europe. When you combine the dry high desert heat in the summer and the crystal clear winter blue skies w/ the micro brews here, its tough to beat.

Aimee Anaya Everett
03-19-2008, 03:09 PM
I like Fallbrook or Bonsall. Cute little town, still close to cities, 45 minutes from San Diego, aprox 20 minutes to the beach, close to the freeways, but still secluded in the mountains, we have, like one major road... We get a nice ocean breeze, the weather is mostly fabulous. Slightly expensive because it is in San Diego county, but not as expensive as the beach cities or downtown.
And of course, the home of Mike's Gym....

I don't know about the boy to girl ratio as Robb mentioned in Chico, but i do see girls around town. 1 or 2.

Mike ODonnell
03-19-2008, 03:21 PM
All this talk about being outdoors, women and mircobrews.....who has time to work out there?? Yeah I definitely at least see a West Coast exploration trip in the next year....take a couple of months off....unlock your doors, stock the fridge and clear off the couches...now that I know where all of you are!! Ha.

David Chambers
03-20-2008, 06:04 AM
Ireland?! Mate you'd have to be mental. First day of Spring today and I woke up to pishing rain and howling gales.

That said, living in Northern Ireland does have its advantages. You could drive coast to coast in 2 hours. I myself live in a small village in county Down, 25 mins from the Beach, 25 mins from the Mourne Mountains (small hills in comparison to most mountains, beautiful none the less) and about 30 mins outside of Belfast.

Just need the weather to enjoy it now!

Mike ODonnell
03-20-2008, 06:30 AM
Ireland?! Mate you'd have to be mental. First day of Spring today and I woke up to pishing rain and howling gales.

That said, living in Northern Ireland does have its advantages. You could drive coast to coast in 2 hours. I myself live in a small village in county Down, 25 mins from the Beach, 25 mins from the Mourne Mountains (small hills in comparison to most mountains, beautiful none the less) and about 30 mins outside of Belfast.

Just need the weather to enjoy it now!

and 30 sec at all times from a fresh pint of Guinness...Mmmmmmmm

Scott Kustes
03-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Somebody buy my house and find me a job so I can move to San Diego. On that note, I'll be in San Diego for the Level 1 cert April 26/27. I'm coming in on the 24th and just screwing around (checking out the areas I'm interested in living in) the 24th and 25th. Anybody in the area wanna grab a meal or beverage?

Sorry to hi-jack your thread MOD.

Scott Kustes
03-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Damn....feelin' the love. I invite people for a beer and suddenly it's crickets in here. It's ok guys...you can just say "No".

Yael Grauer
03-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Tucson is so weird--generally low incomes and high housing prices.http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/137697

They say that, and yet the rent here is phenomenal. I've got a huge apartment for a fraction of the cost of subletting a room in a house in CA. I've never met anyone in town who pays more than $600/mo.

Chuck Kechter
03-22-2008, 09:54 AM
For the best of all worlds, nothing beats Northern Colorado. From where I live, if you go 50 miles in a direction you can be in any climate zone except "true" polar, and equitorial rain forrest. It's heaven for the outdoorsman who want real diversity.

We also have one of the largest group of microbrew(er)s in the country... New Belgium, Rockbottom, Coopersmith's, and about 350 others... As well as many of the "British Isles" ilk... Guinness, McEwan's, McKallan's, et cetera... Found at some of the best bars/clubs like El Chapultepec -- one of the best blues/jazz clubs IMO in the country (and I've been to more than my share for comparison...)

If you're into it, there are also many cultural things and places. From theaters and opera (:)) to rodeos and pig roasts -- and all in between...

Many Crossfit affiliates... Three within 30-45 minutes from where I live.

Just sayin'...

Good luck with your search!

Mike ODonnell
03-22-2008, 10:35 AM
If you're into it, there are also many cultural things and places. From theaters and opera (:)) to rodeos and pig roasts -- and all in between...

with enough local micro brews anything can be fun!!

So many places....so little time! Rather than permanently relocate I am going to go on tour "hopefully" soon if I can get some things accomplished that allow me to do so.....at some point I may just settle down somewhere but it's hard to pick just one place!

and yes Scott....nobody likes you....because nobody likes a thread hijacker....more beer for me....

Garrett Smith
03-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Scott,
You're welcome to stop by and meet up in Tucson if you can swing by on your way out to Cali...

Greg Everett
03-22-2008, 07:24 PM
chico. ~ 5 females for every 2 males in the 25-45 age bracket.

Yes, but you have to factor in the herpes ratio too...

Scott Kustes
03-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Scott,
You're welcome to stop by and meet up in Tucson if you can swing by on your way out to Cali...

I'll see if I can get Delta to make a short detour.

Dave Gibbs
03-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Perth. Western Australia. Most isolated major city on earth in the least densley populated state in this fine country. Never gets below 15c even in winter. You can fly to melbourne if you fancy a ski!

Jane Michel
03-31-2008, 05:54 AM
Dave are you in WA?

Mike ODonnell
03-31-2008, 07:17 AM
Perth. Western Australia. Most isolated major city on earth in the least densley populated state in this fine country. Never gets below 15c even in winter. You can fly to melbourne if you fancy a ski!

I heard they won't let anyone else into the country to live unless you have a work visa......Australia and New Zealand are definitely on my list of places to visit someday.....

Joe Hart
03-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Australia and Tasmania (I know... its part of Austrailia) are sweet. I went to Perth and Hobart thanks to the USN. Everyone is friendly, food is good, beer is cold (VB is pretty good, I think. I was pretty drunk while down there) If you are really hard up for snow you can take a tour to Antarctica from Tasmania.

On a side note: The cartoon rendition of a Tasmanian Devil is pretty accurate. I saw some while I was there. I would like to how they reproduce. It seemed when they (M and F) got with in 2 feet of each other they wanted to kick each others ass. Alot of growling and fangs it was cool.

Dave Gibbs
03-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Dave are you in WA?

certainly am

Dave Gibbs
03-31-2008, 05:08 PM
I heard they won't let anyone else into the country to live unless you have a work visa......Australia and New Zealand are definitely on my list of places to visit someday.....

yeah its pretty tough to get in and bloody right too. I emigrated from the UK 4 years ago and it took me 3 years and a college degree taken at age 31 to get a visa and cost me about $25k. Makes you appreciate being here I reckon when its been a hard slog.
It really is a great place to live and perfect for those who like to get outdoors.
On wednesday I am competing in the masters surfboat racing in the Australian surf lifesaving champs at scarbourgh beach.

http://www.aussies2008.com/ (WFS)

Sam Cannons
03-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Perth is definately a beautiful place but the east coast is were its at in oz. North Queensland - reef and rainforest, can't beat it.

Don Stevenson
04-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Sydney Australia, greatest city on earth!

Adelaide and Perth are nice but a bit small an quiet for my liking. Great places to visit for a week or so though.

Joe - VB?!?! Seriously dude thats one of the worst beers in the world only beaten by queenslands native brew XXXX (thus called because S^&T was already taken)

If you want good standard beer in Australia you drink Coopers, if you want to go a little more upmarket then little creatures and some of the other smaller breweries do fantastic beers. VB is what rednecks drink here.

Joe Hart
04-01-2008, 07:19 PM
I thought Foster's was supposed to be the swill. I didn't hear about Coopers. I was there around 1996. Still had a great time. I would like to take my kids, but that is one long flight that I don't think a 4 and 6 yr old would make.