PDA

View Full Version : Arden's lets get not so fat log.

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-18-2008, 07:16 PM

Kata w4 wo1

Did yoga, roller, and Corrigon warm up.

Then did High Block Power snatches. I did the Drill followed by drop snatches for warm ups. Did 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, 135x6. Then did 155 for six sets of 3.

Then did Overhead Squats 155 for six sets of 3.

Then did Snatch Pulls 135x5, 205x5, 255x 5 sets of 3.

Then did abs.

Did a bunch of rolling and yoga

Small contest in Pickens WV. Did well. Bradhsaw and I sawed well. Kristy and I sawed okay. I didn't chop very well, but that's cool. I hotsawed well.

Here's some links for the comp footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB-WUxw6RWM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv5gRNfhkB0

3.16.08 Kristy flew out to Sydney. Miss her bad.

Did Kata w4 wo2

Started out with Yoga, roller, and Corrigon warm up.

Then did Cleans. All warm ups were in the Drill/complex format (power clean, hang squat clean, squat clean). Did 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 165x3, 185x3, 205x3

Then did work sets of 235 for 5 sets of 4. Tired to do two squat cleans and two power cleans in each set. This wasn't easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLlcUJ1lIU

After that did push press: 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 205x3, 240 for five sets of 3.

Then did front squats 205x3, 275 for five sets of 3.

Then did abs.

Went home and passed out. That was a brutal workout.

3.17.08 - worn out. Long day at work (15 billable hours). Didn't do anything.

3.18.08 - got up early went to the gym around 6ish.

kata w4 wo 4.

Started out with roller, yoga, and corrigon warm up.

Then did Snatch Drill plus Snatch Balances. Did 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, 135x6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFyriT3HwLY

After that did power snatches 165x1, Then 185x5 sets of 2. I had no speed today with the 185. I put one rep on the tail end of the above video. Just couldn't pull it fast. Need to remember to jump and rip.

After that, I did squat snatch grip push press. Did 135x5, 185x5, 205x5, then did 255 for 5 sets of 2. The final set is on the tail end of the above video.

Then did clean grip rack pulls from 2" below knee. 135x5, 245x5, 335x5, 425x5, 515x3, 335x 2 sets of 5.

Then did abs.

When I got home I did a tone of event training. Here's some of the footage. I guess I had about 500 hits on the Underhand, about 50 hits in the tree, 60 hits in the standing, and 35 strokes in the single. I did a bunch of stock saw stuff too. But I didn't record it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGWrew8tICg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q8G1RiDF1Q

I'm tired.....
and I miss my wife.

All the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
03-19-2008, 03:59 AM
Welcome to the training logs. That is one hell of a first entry. Is your wife competing in Sydney?

Was that your dad and mom in the videos also? If so your dad can still wield an axe very well. My kids and I loved it when your wife yelled look at Granny go.

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Welcome to the training logs. That is one hell of a first entry. Is your wife competing in Sydney?

Was that your dad and mom in the videos also? If so your dad can still wield an axe very well. My kids and I loved it when your wife yelled look at Granny go.

Derek,
Yep, my wife is competing at the Royal Easter Show at Sydney. She's a member of the Women's National Lumberjack Team. Teams from Canada, US, Australia and New Zealand are competing against one another in Team Competition. She's one of the Single Hand sawyers (One person crosscut). I miss her bad.

That was my mother and father. My mother is 72 and my father is 73. It's the thing I love about our sport. We can do it competently for a very long time. My father won his last world title when he was 55 and was a finalist in the ESPN series at 60. I'm 37, so I reckon I've got a good 20 years of hard core competition left (at a championship level). Normally, in my sport, the prime years are between 35 and 50.

I've found with increased fitness and agility (basicly working harder to "turn back the clock.") the events get easier. So I'm looking forward to the long term nature of fitness. It's one of the reasons I moved away from powerlifting/bodybuilding and have moved my focus to a xfit hybrid workout.

Slowly, I'll get less chubby. I'm already down 25 pounds to what I was four years ago. Goal is 240 by the time I'm 40. I'm at 255 right now. I hope to be 250 by the time my season really starts (end of May).

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
03-19-2008, 07:38 AM
That is awesome about your parents.

Gant Grimes
03-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Arden, are those 240 push presses in pounds or kilos? Since it's you, I have to ask. ;)

Glad you have a log here.

Derek Simonds
03-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Slowly, I'll get less chubby. I'm already down 25 pounds to what I was four years ago. Goal is 240 by the time I'm 40. I'm at 255 right now. I hope to be 250 by the time my season really starts (end of May).

All the best,
Arden

Once you know your competitive schedule you will have to post the locations. The kids and I would love to come to one of the events if it is close enough.

Based on the way you are training and a little clean eating you should easily reach your 240 goal.

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Arden, are those 240 push presses in pounds or kilos? Since it's you, I have to ask. ;)

Glad you have a log here.

That made me laugh out loud. :-D

240lbs. :D

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Once you know your competitive schedule you will have to post the locations. The kids and I would love to come to one of the events if it is close enough.

Based on the way you are training and a little clean eating you should easily reach your 240 goal.

sure thing. The ESPN events are getting ready to air again soon. I'll post the times.

Clean eating is the key. I recently, at the insistence of Randy Hauer, have made some serious life changes in how I eat. Previously, I was eating about 10 meals/snacks a day (basicly 3 meals and 7 snacks) with some being all carb, all protein, etc. He's since had me balance out all these meals to equal calories consisting of similar ratios of protein/carb/fat.

Man it's been hard. But I can already tell a difference. Eating properly means more than anything when it comes to fitness.

All the best,
arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-19-2008, 10:44 AM
That is awesome about your parents.

Thanks. They're great folk. I come from good stalk. :D

All the best,
Arden

Don Stevenson
03-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Hey Arden,

Does your wife need a gym or anything to train at while she's in Sydney competing?

If so just let me know and i'll hook her up. Our O lift gym is about 400m from where the royal easter show is!

Don

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Hey Arden,

Does your wife need a gym or anything to train at while she's in Sydney competing?

If so just let me know and i'll hook her up. Our O lift gym is about 400m from where the royal easter show is!

Don

HOly Crap!!!

Don I'm going next year, so can my ugly fat arse visit? The last time we were in Sydney together, we went to Al's up at Bondi Junction. Complete hole, but had a wonderful atmosphere for bodybuilders/powerlifters.

I've evolved since then.......sorta. I think? At least there's less of me to cart around.

She's to call me tomorrow morning, I'll ask. She has the Jack & Jill World Championship today. The first "test' between US, Canada, NZ and Oz is tomorrow.

All the best,
Arden

Don Stevenson
03-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Hey Arden,

Our state weightlifting gym where I coach is in the same area as the Easter show and we've got tons of stuff there, 11 platforms, bumpers, dumbells up to 50kg, kettlebells, rings etc etc

We've also got another gym in the city which is more of a crossfit gym but same sort of deal with bumpers and tons of kettlebells.

Anytime you (or anyone else here for that matter!) is in Sydney just give us a buzz.

If your wife wants to contact me direct she can email me at fitness@octogen.com.au

Allen Yeh
03-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Hey Arden,

Our state weightlifting gym where I coach is in the same area as the Easter show and we've got tons of stuff there, 11 platforms, bumpers, dumbells up to 50kg, kettlebells, rings etc etc

We've also got another gym in the city which is more of a crossfit gym but same sort of deal with bumpers and tons of kettlebells.

Anytime you (or anyone else here for that matter!) is in Sydney just give us a buzz.

If your wife wants to contact me direct she can email me at fitness@octogen.com.au

Anyone else have that "it's a small world after all...." song float through their head? Ok maybe it's just me...well now you have it floating through your head.

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Don,
It's been one of my dreams the past six months since I started Oly lifting to train at a facility like the ones I see on the net. The ones with multiple platforms with lifters doing cleans/snatches/etc. Dale Saran showed one over at xfit last month and the footage from CA and Mike's Gym are awesome.

Thank you so much for your kindness. I will definitely take you up on a few sessions during next years Easter Show.

I talked to the wife and she commented that she has championship events every day for the next four days and is a bit too leery to get herself in the gym without me.

All the best,
Arden
Hey Arden,

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-20-2008, 12:14 PM
3.19.08 rolled, did some yoga and tai chi. Didn't workout or event train. Really tired.

3.20.09 Thus far: kata w4 wo6 - 80%

This was a wicked tough workout. Started out with roller, yoga and Corrigon warm up.

Then started with Tall power cleans: Did 45x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 165x4, 185x1, then did 205 for 4 sets of 4.

Then did split jerks. Started with 45x2, 95x2, 135x2, 165x2, 185x2, 205x2, then did 240x 4 sets of 2. Had to really focus to jump the weight up and get my second dip in and my head through the window. The last two sets were much faster than the first two. I would probably rule half the reps on the first two sets as press outs.

Then did front squats. Did 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x1, then did 295 for three sets of 2.

After that, didn't have a second 32kg kettlebell so I did machine presses. I honestly don't remember the top weight. Did three warm up sets then did 5 sets of 5 with the top weight.

After that, did some abs.

Doing a wood run soon. Then going home to event train. I'll post videos later tonight.

I'm choking back some fresh veggies and slamming a protein shake as I type this. i'm gonna get sorta not fat; I hope.

All the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
03-20-2008, 04:46 PM
First off Allen that is totally uncalled for. You can not do a random drive by it's a small world ever to another group of men. Completely uncalled for. I am going to have to have at least 3 Don Julio shots just to get it out of my head.

Secondly, Arden don't make the vegetables sound so much like you are getting punished for something. "Choking Back" :D

Hopefully you will find some vegetables that you like.

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-21-2008, 06:47 AM
First off Allen that is totally uncalled for. You can not do a random drive by it's a small world ever to another group of men. Completely uncalled for. I am going to have to have at least 3 Don Julio shots just to get it out of my head.

Secondly, Arden don't make the vegetables sound so much like you are getting punished for something. "Choking Back" :D

Hopefully you will find some vegetables that you like.

Derek,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Learning to eat properly has been a real struggle for me over the years. The most recent change is driving me batty because I'm actually eating more volume but less calories. And I'm gassy as all get out. :rolleyes:

I didn't event train last night or this morning. I tried, but yesterdays weight room session and the three hours I sawed, lifted, rolled, and tossed logs did me in. My heart rate stayed over 130 for about two hours and peaked at around 160 when I was carrying 200lb to 250lb logs up to 50 feet. Met Con at it's finest. Heavy Met Con at that. I would guess that a few of the logs weighed about 350 to 400 pounds. I didn't carry them, but I did toss them into the back of my truck. That was NOT easy by any stretch of the imagination. But, like anything, once you learn how to do it properly (the technique), it's much less impressive than it sounds. :D

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-26-2008, 09:12 AM
March 21 - rested. Week 4 was a heavy week and nearly did me in. Good stuff. I did do my yoga, tai chi, and made a roller out of hickory fire wood piece, one of my mother's towels, and some duct tape. She's a beauty. Still Missing the misses.

March 22 - event training with Chris Bradshaw, Brian Wamsley, Angie, Carmen and Matt Cogar. Didn't get any video footage. My father and I cut up a tree that morning and I rolled it out of the woods. Nothing like a wood run to make you humble. After that, the five of us did a bunch of underhand, stading, and two person xcut training. I would guess my volume on the underhand was close to 500 hits. I would also guess my volume on the standing was around 150 hits. Angie wanted to learn to saw, so we all took turns pulling with her and traded off. We cut two 26" pieces of 15" pine. Matt and Wamsley sawed really well together. Carmen (my 7 year old), made three cuts with me and used her axe on an underhand for a ton of hits.

Rolled a lot on my Holler Roller that night. Was feeling pretty Ratty. Missing the Misses real bad.

March 23 - Carmen woke me up demanding to go woodchop. I put her off until after we had breakfast. We went down and she beat on some logs and built some stuff with nails, hammer, and stove wood blocks. I put about 150 more hits into some underhands and made about 30 springboard holes.

Missing Kristy bad. When we got home, I cleaned while the girls did their thing.

March 24 - Kata Conversion week 1 workout 1.

Started with Roller, Yoga and Corrigon warm up.

Then into tall snatches. I did the Drill (power snatch, squat snatch, squat snatch from the blocks) as my warm up followed by 3 reps of drop snatches for six reps total on the warm up sets. Did 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, 135x6. Then my work sets were 145xfour sets of 2. Working on being fast. Had trouble dropping into the hole as my knee was still a bit creeky.

After that did Overhead Squats. Did 145 for 3 sets of 5. Pretty easy.

After that did Snatch Pulls. Did 135x5, 205x5, 255x3, 265x3, 275x3. Working on getting full extension and jumping with the weight then shrugging.

After that did a brutal ab workout. The hardest part was doing these pressing kettlebell slant board sit ups. They were brutal. Was going to do five sets, but could only manage 4. I'm writing it off to a technical change in my underhand.

Felt really crappy so I went home early from work. Missing the misses worse on this day. I went to bed around 5:00 p.m. and slept until the next morning.

March 25 - Kata event training. Brutal session. It was fun.

Did a ton of tree work. Some stock saw. Some standing. Some Underhand and one single.

I would guestimate my volume for the session at about 200 to 250 hits total. Only about 35 strokes on the single (one cut). made a lot of stock saw cuts.

Here's some snippets from the event training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB57HdA-a38

Did some foam roller afterwards and cleaned. This misses is coming home tomorrow!!!

March 26, 2008 -
Kata Conversion Workout 3 week 1. Good session.

Started out with Roller, yoga, and Corrigon Warmup.

Then started with cleans. I did the Drill/Matrix to warm up (power clean, hang squat clean, and squat clean). Did 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 165x3, 185x3, 205x3. My work sets were squat cleans of 225. I did 3 singles. It was easy. I loved it. Did 2 sets of 5 power cleans with 135 after that.

Then did push presses. 95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x3, 205x3, Then did 225x 4 sets of 2. Cooled down with a set of strict militaries with 135 x 5.

After that did front squats. 135x5, 205x5, 255x three sets of 3.

AFter that, I just had to try some dead stop Overhead squats out of the rack. I used a clean grip. To it was like coming out of the hole with a deep power jerk. Not too bad. First rep was always the hardest. Did 45x5, 95x5, 115x3, 135x3, 155x3, 95x5. The funny thing I find from these is that I get some wicked pressure in my upper back. Had to roll a little bit to make it feel better. I'm sure it's going to be sore. Man those Chinese guys and gals that do these movements with a ton of weight are just incredible. I'm sure it's a learned thing, but man......I never had a full appreciation for coming out of the hole with a power jerk until I tried these.

After that did some abs, yoga and got to work early.

Misses is coming home in less than 12 hours. Can't wait. The kids and I are going swimming tonight and to watch Dr. Suess'es Horton movie. Should be great.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-01-2008, 10:06 AM
March 27 - the wifey's home!!!! yeah!!! Didn't train at all.
March 28 - Drove to good friends house for a weekend of chopping. Studied videos at night, did some yoga and foam roller.
March 29 - ground some axes, did a ton of event training. I wouldn't have a clue on how many hits, strokes, etc. I made, but it was awesome. My guess is that I had about 200 hits on the standing, 200 hits on the tree, 150 strokes on the single, and a ton in the underhand. Really worked on a lot of technical changes.
March 30 - absolutely exhausted, but did some underhand training in the cold wind. made some board holes too.
March 31 - did nothing, but roll, yoga and tai chi. Spent about 4 hours at a car lot looking to buy something that gets more than 15 miles to the gallon.
April 1 - Kata w1 wo5 - 75% - good god. It was awesome.

Started out with Yoga, Roller, and then my Corrigon Warm up.

Then started with the Drill snatches (power snatch, hang squat snatch, then squat snatch) followed by three snatch balances. Did 45x6, 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, 135x6.

Then did 165 for three sets of 2 - most were about 1/2 squat snatches. I got one where I was all the way in the hole. Still not real sure of myself when I only pull the weight about shoulder height. But it's coming.

Then did Cleans and jerks. I did power clean and jerk, then a hang squat clean and jerk during my warm ups. All my jerks were power jerks because I'm changing my form after jarring my right knee last week and making it creeky.

Did 95x2, 115x2, 135x2, 165x2, 185x2, 205x2, then 225 for three singles.

After that I did pause high bar squats at very deep depth. Did 135x5, 205x5, 255x three sets of 2. I paused at the bottom for a 2 to 3 count on each rep then exploded out of the hole.

After that I did my Kata Cheat Meal set of sumo deadlifts. Did 135x5, 245x5, 335x5, 425x3, 515x10.

Then I did some power jerks from a dead stop from about nose height out of power cage. Did 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 235x3 sets of 2. Then 185x5, 135x3 sets of 5. Finally made some sense out of why the Chinese lifters look down when they do their power jerks - it doesn't jack up your traps and rhomboids as much. A lot more efficient. I'm going to enjoy making these a part of my routine.

After that I did some abs and yoga.

It was great workout. I had a lot of fun.

Hope to have the new car tonight.

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
04-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Then I did some power jerks from a dead stop from about nose height out of power cage. Did 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 235x3 sets of 2. Then 185x5, 135x3 sets of 5. Finally made some sense out of why the Chinese lifters look down when they do their power jerks - it doesn't jack up your traps and rhomboids as much. A lot more efficient. I'm going to enjoy making these a part of my routine.

Can you explain that looking down thing?

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Can you explain that looking down thing?

here's the video I was referring too. This is kinda long, but awesome. These dudes are Rugged Dwarfs in the most respectful manner.

here's one that doesn't do it as much as others - but his head position is somewhat down

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1sA-lEbrgak

Here's more about what I'm talking about. He does it on his snatches too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxy3CVruT1k&feature=related

Here's the same dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rElBVQESGIc

In essence, look at the second and third videos head position. That's what I'm talking about. When I did the dead stop jerk overhead squats with my head down, I didn't get any pain in my neck, rhomboids, or traps. When I have my head more neutral, I always get jacked up.

I'm going to try the same with my snatches and see if I'm more stable as well.

I hope this makes sense?

All the best,
Arden

Greg Woods
04-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Arden your training workouts are impressive to say the least. Can't imagine doing that many hits/strokes. Are the logs you're training on green, and if so what do you do with all the chips/subs? Must have one heck of a wood pile.

Allen Yeh
04-03-2008, 04:15 AM
here's the video I was referring too. This is kinda long, but awesome. These dudes are Rugged Dwarfs in the most respectful manner.

here's one that doesn't do it as much as others - but his head position is somewhat down

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1sA-lEbrgak

Here's more about what I'm talking about. He does it on his snatches too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxy3CVruT1k&feature=related

Here's the same dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rElBVQESGIc

In essence, look at the second and third videos head position. That's what I'm talking about. When I did the dead stop jerk overhead squats with my head down, I didn't get any pain in my neck, rhomboids, or traps. When I have my head more neutral, I always get jacked up.

I'm going to try the same with my snatches and see if I'm more stable as well.

I hope this makes sense?

All the best,
Arden

Interesting. I wonder what some of the Oly coaches think about doing that?

I'd like to try it out but yesterday I noticed something really screwed up with my overhead position. If you hold a bar overhead and look up the bar should be pretty much a straight line but yesterday while doing some light overhead shrugs I looked up and it's definitely NOT a straight line. Since I was trying to watch myself I couldnt' tell if it was because my left arm was pulling the bar too far back or if it was because my right wasn't going back enough, I don't feel a difference. Frustrating, this is when a good workout partner would have been great. I wonder if this is why I've always had a rough time with overhead pressing, because of some kind of overhead position that my body naturally goes into.

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-10-2008, 09:16 AM
April 2, Nothing too silly. Just some light event training working on the Underhand. Roller and Yoga

April 3, Kata w2 wo1
Started out with roller, yoga and Corrigon warm up.

Then did Power Snatch from high blocks. Started out with complexs from high box and did drop snatches. Did the warm ups with 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, and 135x6. Then did my work sets of 155 for five sets of 2 working on speed.

After that did Overhead squats. Did 155 for five sets of 4.

Then did snatch pulls. Did 135x5, 205x5, 255x3, 265x3, 275x3, 285x3.

Then did foam roller, yoga and got to work.

April 4. did nothing physical other than yoga and roller.

April 5, did a contest. Went well. Here's some snippets from the event. I'm the bald guy in black.

hand sawing events: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLOrg56v-_4
chopping events (my 73 year old father is to the right up first) my wife is after my heat in the standing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho_aM6aILew
more chopping and obstacle pole: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7epxVkcP54
chainsawing events: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRc7cfSGGNg

After the show, we travelled to my family farm/camp and my youngest daughter, a very talented young axeman, Mike Koers, and I chopped until was dark. I had more fun training with Mike and Carmen than I did competing at the event that afternoon. Chopped until I was about ready to pass out.

The next day, we went to another event at Potamic State College.

Hand sawing events (my wife and I are up first): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fPOs3foCXg
Chainsawing, underhand and my wife chopping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iAMte5CZZM
More chopping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmIYmfud7gU
Me and my 320lb partner doing an event we're not made for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8yfr_up8XA

Long weekend.

4.7.08 - rested. Roller and Yoga

4.8.09 - Kata day 3, w 2 80%

Started out with Roller, Yoga, and Corrigon Warm up.

Then went into squat cleans. Did the complex with one jerk at the end. Did 95x3+, 115x3+, 135x3+, 165x3+, 185x3+, 205x3 (no jerk). Then did my top work sets with 235 for four singles.

Then did Push Press. Did 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x2, Then did 240 for four sets of 2.
Then did front squat: Did 135x5, 205x5, 255x2, 275 for four sets of 3.

Then did abs, yoga, and roller.

4.9.08 - Just chilled. Worked 16 hours. Did some roller before going to bed.

4.10.08. Awesome session:

Started with Yoga, Roller, and Corrigon warm up.

then did Complexes followed by Snatch balance. Did 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, 135x6, 165x1, then did 185 for four singles.

here's the footage of the 135 complex plus balance and the singles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klr-gSE8X7A

Then did Clean and Jerk. Did complexes for warm ups and one jerk at the end. Did 95x3+, 135x3+, 165x3+, 185x3+, 205x3+. Then did 245 for four singles.

Here's the footage of the 205 complex plus jerk plus the singles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKmR--esXds

Then did some slow negative pause squats with an explosive positive. Did 135x3, 205x3, 255x2, then did 275 for four sets of 2.

Then did some clean pulls. Did 135x5, 245x5, 315x5, 405x2 (recorded), 495x2 (recorded) - more of conventional dead with a wide grip, close feet, and shrug, but oh well.

Then did some clean power jerk ohs from a dead stop. did 135x5, 185x3 (recorded), 205x3 (recorded), 255x1 (recorded), 135x5. These are brutal.

Here's the link for the recorded sets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJtzDUDpG3o

Then did some abs, yoga, and roller.

I'm feeling pretty good. I'm down to 253, so I'm pretty pysched.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-16-2008, 11:25 AM
4.11.08 light day, did some underhand and single training before going to work.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j2QF0CBHB0E

Flew to Atlanta for something silly.

4.12.08. 5 hours at a film/photo studio. Cut a log at the end wearing a suit and tie, minus the sleeves on the jacket and dress shirt. :-D

here's some snippets from it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LJ6WWc4AkFw

4.13.08. Flew home. Did a ton of event training. Lots of tree work, stock saw, standing and Underhand.

Here's some footage:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jiviYWs1ZKM

Before I could conclude the session, I got stuck into some hardcore house cleaning. :-D Think Linda's hard, try the kitchen with an angry spouse.

4.14.08. Did my Kata w3 wo1 70%.

Started out with Tall snatches, did the drill (power snatch, squat snatch, then squat snatch) followed by drop snatches. Did 45x6, 75x6, 95x6, 115x6 (recorded), then did 135 for four sets of six (all recorded).

Then did OHS 135x5, then 135x10 (recorded)

here's the lifting stuff:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=52GsvpRwjOk

Then did Snatch Pulls - 135x5, 225x3, 255x3, 265x3, 275x3.

Then did three cuts on the single. Crazy for doing it at the end of training session, but I wanted to, I'm working on form so I need volume of strokes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jHHYtBpx4ME

After that did abs, roller, and went to Court; then drove to Raleigh, NC.

4.15.08 in Raleigh all morning and early afternoon. Got home around 6:30 p.m. The Bradshaw visited so we did some event training. I was really tired, so I was wasting wood for the most part.

Here's some brief footage:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RMstt_cXT5Y

rolled and went to bed.

4.16.08 Got my kata in before work.

Did my customary yoga, roller, and corrigon warm up.

Then did squat clean matrixes followed by a jerk. Did 45x3+, 95x3+, 115x3+, 135x3+, 165x3+, 185x3+, then did 205 for 4 sets of 1 with no jerk.

Was gonna do push press, but felt a bit gimp, so did Hammer STrength behind the neck: Did 2platesx10, 4latesx10, 6platesx10, 8 platesx8.

Then did some lateral raises - front, side, then bent over. Did 30 reps each set for about three or four sets.

Then did front squats - 135x5, 205x5, 255xfour sets of 3.

Then did dead start overhead squats with the bar at below chest height. Set it up on the rings at the gym, to where I could get my hands in the proper snatch grip and then stand up. Kept it light did 115 for five sets of 3.

After that did abs and off to work.

bodyweight is still 253. Given the way I've eaten the past five days because of travelling, I'm impressed. I put a serious hurtin' on a calzone at a genuine Italian Restaraunte (ironically right beside an Olive Garden) on Saturday. Slowly but surely.

All the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
04-17-2008, 12:31 PM
As a skinny orangutan who is trying to put on weight all I have to say is you keep losing the pounds and I will try to pick them up.

As of this morning I hit 195 LB's and was very pleased with it. My short term goal is to hit the 200 LB's and see how I feel at that weight.

Limiting the met-con has really been the key for me reaching this weight.

A quick funny childhood story. I also have large hands and long toes. I would torment my younger sisters at dinner by carrying on a conversation with my parents and then sticking my leg across under the tables and pinching them with my toes. Oh they hated it and would just get all wound up. I of course sat there looking angelic denying anything ever happened.

Oh BTW what is the Kata that you reference?

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Derek,
That's a very cute story. I too am the possessor of big mits and feet (13 shoe and ring size). My funny story is that I wore the same size shoe when I was 8th grade. At the time, I was about 5'7" and stocky but not fat 185. Just a big boned kid. Anyway, it was the only year I play organized basketball and myself and some of the other team members were at the drinking fountain outside the gym during a break. One of the cheerleaders remarked "look at thos legs." Another one, "legs hell, look at his feet." Yep, I'll never forget that one.

KATA is the business name for the coach who's put a lot of effort into getting me better in my sport and my gym work - his name is Randy Hauer. He lives 8 hours from me so I only get to meet up with him every few months. I spend the rest of the time studying, writing, learning, etc. If you know what I mean?

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-24-2008, 09:36 AM
4.17.08 light event work. More drills than anything. Stock saw, tree, and some UH finishing drill. Tried for some reason. Lots for Roller and yoga

4.18.08 Kata w3 wo 5

Did my roller, yoga and corrogin warm up.

After that started with Snatch complexes followed by drop snatches/snatch balances. Did 45x6, 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, 135x6. Then was going to do 155 for one sntach then one drop snatch when I tweeked my right quad. I should have just dumped the weight, but I steadied it overhead and caused me to rock in the hole.

here's the footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-zSCMiUVs

After that, I did of BB'er training and was pretty bitchy because of the tweeked quad. I think I did some pulldowns, pull ups, lateral raises, hammer strength overhead presses, and lateral raises. Didn't pay attention to the weights. Just didn't want to waste the workout.

I rolled the quad pretty good PWO and throughout the day. Iced it a lot too. I also EMS'ed it when I got home.

4.19.08 big training day. With the strained quad I wasn't too eager to get into it, but I had a demo to do for a big Boy Scout get together at a Camp in Boone County. I took a near 15" Underhand, and a 17" sawing block and did an Underhand, a stock saw, and my first hotsaw run of the year.

here's the footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQwFyxZIyrQ

Then Kiara and I went home to train with The Bradshaw. We did tons of underhands, standings, doubles and singles. It was really fun. I couldn't guestimate the strokes/hit volume, but it was a lot.

here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6sowMrtjAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARqRs9VyYck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSBEZPuH8ik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzSlSr_KwBE

Then we had a serious cheat meal at Genos.

Then we came back and Kristy joined us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lobn8L7XtLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGm_z3QwO5U

After that, I rolled, EMS'ed the quad, iced it and went to bed. No more pie.

4.20.08 - done, stick a fork in me. Too sore to do anything other than Yoga, tai chi and some very very light drill work.

4.21.08 - b-day. joy.

Quad feeling better so decided to redo previous week of kata.

Did roller, yoga, and corrigon warm up.

Then did box power snatch with no drop snatches. Did 45x3, 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, then did three more sets with the 135.

After that did shallow Overhead squats with 135 for 3 sets of 5.

After that did Jerk recoveries from a pin about nose height. Did 135x5, 185x5, 205x3, 255x3 (that was a PR)

After that did some Snatch pulls from a box - so worked on 2nd pull real hard. Did 135x5, 205x5, 255x3, 275x3, 295x3.

After that did some RDLs 205x5 sets of 5.

Then did some abs.

Rolled, EMS, and some more yoga.

4.22.08 redid the previous weeks 3rd weight workout

started out with Roller, Yoga, and Corrigon warm up.

Then did Power cleans 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 165x3, 185x3, 205x 3 singles.

Then did push press - 95x5, 135x5, 185x3. Felt sorta bad, so called it a day.

Did some light abs, yoga, and rolled again. Quad feeling a lot better.

When I got home, i thought about doing some event work, but opted to swing the handle and do drill work. Did do a wood run; which is a wonderful xfit style workout that's actual work.

4.23.08 Quad feels great.

Did final weight workout of previous week - don't normally weight train three days in a row, but wanted to pull it off so I could make Thursday a heavy event day before a hard weekend of cleaning and wood gathering.

Did some power snatches/squat snatches with snatch balances - did 75x6, 95x6, and 115x6. Didn't want to push my luck, so I then did power snatches 135x3, then 155 for 3 sets of 1.

After thta did squat clean complex with a jerk at the end of the third rep. Did 95x3+, 115x3+, 135x3+, 165x3+, 185x3+, 205x3+, then 205 for two more singles of c&J.

here's one of the complexes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpUST5dtsjQ

Then did pause squats. 135x2, 205x2, 255x2.

Then did abs, yoga, and roller.

EMS'ed it again, did a little bit of handle work.

4.24.08 - gonna be fun.

Bodyweight is around 256, but my bodyfat, on the Tanita, is at a near all time low for me - 16%. I'm pretty excited about that.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Event training the evening of 4.24.08.

Maybe over did it. But I did alot of stuff. I only taped some of it. I probably made about 12 cuts on the single. 4 or 5 Tabata runs in the underhand. A bunch of hits in the standing and tons of tree/stocksaw drills. Can't estimate the volume. But when I was done, I was done.

here's the footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ9xZCRLNm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypB216ewziY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJSU2MjWbLI

4.25.08 Kata w4 wo 1 80%

Tough workout.

Started out with roller, yoga, and Corrigon warm up.

Then did power snatches. Did 3 sets of the complexes with 3 drop snatches afterwards. Still nursing the quad a bit and I'm limiting the depth of my snatches until I feel 100% confident. Did 45x6, 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, 135x4 (recorded).

Then did my top set of 165 for 5 doubles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BQlrZ1HXf0

After that I did overhead squats. I found that If I brought my hands in 4 finger lengths from my previous snatch grip (near touching the collars on the crappy bars at the Y) that I had a ton of control over the weight while it was overhead. I'm going to try this grip the next time I snatch and see if it helps me get more balance and control overhead.

I did 165 for 5 sets of 5 and they were easy.

After that I did Snatch Pulls. I did 135x3, 205x3, 255x3, 275x3, 295x3, 315x3.

After that I did some adductor/abductor machine and some calf work.

Then I did some light abs. Couldn't do my KATA AB today, i was dragging.

Bodyweight is holding at 254 to 256 and I'm starting to get consistent readings of 16% on my Tanita Scale. I'm pysched. Up until last month, I was consistently getting readings in the 20 to 22% range. Based upon experience, I'd say that's off by 4% because I'm pretty heavily muscled and those scales always skew the bigger lads with more bodyfat than they actually have. Thus, I may actually no longer qualify as Slovent according to Dr. Fred Hatfield's standards. yeahhhhhh:D

All the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
04-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Arden, you are looking lean in those videos. Really lean. The hard work is paying off big time.

I took the kids out to Zaxby's on Saturday for lunch and we were leaving and my son says hey isn't that your buddy. Sure enough you were battling it out on the underhand with Dave Blastad (I really can't remember his last name). You cut the log in 15 seconds flat and won the event. I have no idea what or when the footage was from. The absolutely best part is up at our lake house we let the boys cut up campfire wood. None of it actually would qualify as a log, more like twigs to branches. Last weekend my 8 year old son pretended to be racing the fastest axe man in the world and chopped through a branch in 18 seconds. He was pretty proud of his time as his 8 year old cousin was timing him. They had to come running in and tell everyone what he had done.

When we got done watching you on TV he looked up at me dead serious and said dang he beat me by 3 seconds. I almost pee'ed my pants I was laughing so hard.

Once I regained my composure I reminded him that your log was a wee bit bigger. I also told him to keep training and maybe one day he could swing an axe the same way.

I love my kids.

sarena kopciel
04-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Wow, I once did a seminar with Randy Hauer. You train with him in what sport??

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Wow, I once did a seminar with Randy Hauer. You train with him in what sport??

He's coaching me in the Olympic lifts/kettlebell lifts and with the periodization of both intertwined with my lumberjack sports training/competitions.

I'm having wonderful results. He really knows his stuff.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks Derek, that is an awesome story... thanks so much for sharing it.

The event you and your family saw was last year's Timbersports Series round one. I did very well. I'm so glad you and your little ones got a chance to see the Series. I was about 10 pounds heavier last year and given that I'm undertall for my weight, it makes me look even wider than I really am. :D

If your son wants to tear into it, most colleges have forestry programs that include woodsmen's teams that are the foundation for the Timbersports events. I was on the WVU Woodsmen's Teamf during my college years. Several of the guys on the Series graduated from Syracuse, University of Maine, University of New Hampshire, North Carolina, NC State, UC Berkley, etc. The schools go on and on.

Beyond that, we have junior events that my daughters compete in. They're 10 and 7. The 7 year old is my bodydouble, poor girl.

Thanks for the kudos on the weight loss. it's a slow struggle. I hate middle age. Best time of my life in regards to kids, career, life in general.....but physically it sucks.

Thanks again.

All the best,

Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Haven't been able to post my log for a while. Been busy work work, competing, kids, etc. We all know how the real world gets in the way. In any event, I'm still progressing toward getting leaner. I'm right at 255 at around 15% bodyfat. Very pleased that I didn't pork up to over 260 during the summer.

Lots to work on from a form standpoint.

But here's what I did last night.

started out with roller and yoga.

Then onto cleans. Started with some Matrixes to start out with a jerk. Did 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, then 225x3,
Then did 255x3 power cleans, then 275x2 power cleans. Then did 235x5 hang power
cleans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QZQQJD3yRU

Still not getting my shoulders far enough in front of the bar. Gotta work on that. Especially in the Hang. I've got to figure out how to pull with only knee extension from the floor to the knees. I now understand how it needs to be done. Just gotta do it.

Then did some push presses 95x5, 135x4, 185x3, 225x2, 255x1, 285x1 (recorded
that one)

Then did some front squats. Knees were tired from mile and half jog yesterday. Did 135x5,
225x4, 275x3, 285x2, 305x1

Then did some clean pulls - 135x5, 255x4, 325x3, 365x3, 405x2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRgL0eBY4xg

Same as above, need to learn how to do the first pull with driving my legs and not pulling with my back. It's gonna be rough, but I think I can do it.

Then did some bell work. 24x15LR 32x10LR 40x10LR 48x7R4L

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRgL0eBY4xg

The left hand needs a lot of work. The descent trajectory is bad and needs corrected. Will work on that next session.

Then did 5 sets of pull ups for sets of 8 to 5.

Then did abs, yoga, and shakes.

TWas good.

Wife wants to do an extended session of yoga tonight. I hope to do some active recovery bell/cardio stuff; but who knows?

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Last night, I consumed mass quantities, rolled, and did some yoga. Nothing too strenuous.

Today on the other hand, I got a little nasty.

Started out with Rolling and Yoga.

Then went onto Snatch Complexes followed by drop snatches. Went 75x6, 95x6, 115x6 (recorded), 135x5 (recorded).

Then did 165 for complex of power snatches. Then did a muscle snatch with 185.

Then did 3 sets of 3 of tall snatches working on getting in the hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUEMcGObJSg

Then I did, for the first time ever, some squat jerks. Did 95x5, 135x3 (recorded) 165x3 (recorded).

Then tried to do 185x3 but bailed. After that I did some regular power jerks with 205. Another set of 3.

Then did some overhead squats working on my form. Trying to sit back more making the bend in my hip the first thing to happen and sort of raising my toes before the descent.

here's the footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDWnXkriiec

After that, I did another set of ohs - 135x5.

Then did some snatch pulls 205x3, 255x3 (recorded), 300x3 (recorded), 330x3 (recorded)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7w2X0flxZM

After that I did some bench. 135x10, 185x10, 225x10.

Then 5 sets of 10 on Ring push ups.

Then some dumbell pull overs 3 sets of 15 up to 85lbs

Then some KB Jerks with a 32kg 5x5. Working on form. Keeping my forearm perpendicular to the ground and getting my head "through the window" on the second dip.

AFter that some more yoga and back to work.

I've got roped into doing two more demos at the WSM. One on Friday before the Carwalk. And the other before the Stones on Sunday. Should be wicked fun.

Leo Soubbotine
09-10-2008, 11:53 AM
"Then did some overhead squats working on my form. Trying to sit back more making the bend in my hip the first thing to happen and sort of raising my toes before the descent"

This is easy!
To get the OHS better - turn your toes out way more. 45 degrees each side and try to squat. That's one of the main reasons it feels so shaky right now.

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-10-2008, 12:34 PM
"Then did some overhead squats working on my form. Trying to sit back more making the bend in my hip the first thing to happen and sort of raising my toes before the descent"

This is easy!
To get the OHS better - turn your toes out way more. 45 degrees each side and try to squat. That's one of the main reasons it feels so shaky right now.

Will do this not only with my OHS, but also with my snatches, cleans, and front squats. I think this issue is pervasive with just about all my movements.

Thanks a milllion!!!!

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Update on training the past few days.

Friday, did a demo at the WSM. Cut a 40" yellow poplar. Put 12 in the front and 13 in the back. One of my better cuts actually. It was very smooth.

Saturday, did a demo with Kristy and the Bradshaw. Cut three underhands, three trees, six doubles, and three hotsaw runs. Also had three axe throw head to heads. Cut 14", 11", and 13" underhands in the demos. All the threes were around 11" All good climbs. Pole was rickity. The two person sawing was pretty good but for one cut were Chris and I hung because I wasn't rocking the saw.

The heat that day was unbearable. About 95+ and 100% humidity. Nearly lost the Bradshaw. And me for that matter.

Sunday, slept in and later on did another demo right before the final event at the WSM - the Atlas stones.

Cut a 14" pine - full 44" inch in 12 and 13. Right at 20 seconds. Spoke in front of 4,500 people at the WV Power park about 10 minutes before the ceremonies began. It was really cool.

Today, did the following.

Yoga and roller.

Then clean complexes plus split jerk and power jerk. Did 75x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x5, 205x5, then went to 235 and tore a callous on the final squat clean. Was really getting into Coach Handy's high elbows after the shrug and was timing it well. I thought. I didn't have my camera so no footage of anything. I also worked on pointing my toes our more when I go into my recieving position as recommended by Leonid and I think I'm getting the hang of it. I felt much more stable going into the hole. And I wasn't pulling the weight near as high as I have in the past. One step at a time.

After that, did push presses. 95x5, 135x4, 185x3, 205x3, 235x2, 255x1.

After that did front squats. 135x5, 205x4, 315x3, 335x2, 205x5x5.

Then did clean grip RDL's. Hand was sore. Did 205x2x8, then 255x3x5.

Then did incline bench. 5 sets. Top set was 255 for 8 or 10. Can't remember.

Then did some arms. 4 or 5 sets.

Then did abs.

Did some yoga and more roller and got back to work. Feel great except for the hand.

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-16-2008, 12:59 PM
bodyweight was 255. Pretty lean right now.

Had another session today. Didn't have much go though. Sorta sore from yesterday. A little achy in the knee too so I was having major difficulty bailing on my snatches. Everything was power.

In any event, rolled, did some yoga, then to the weight room.

Started with Snatch Complexes and drop snatches. Did 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, 135x6 (first time doing drop snatches with comfort with 135 - pretty pleased about that).

Then did power snatches with 165x3, then 185x2. My snatch power has really dropped off since I had to take two months off because of that strained forearm. I'm a good 40 to 50 pounds below what I was before I got hurt. Accordingly, I will have to readjust my expectations for Moorestown.

Here's some footage of the complexes and the power snatches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B5_dJBviwY

After that did 5 sets of 3 with 145 for tall snatches. Recorded some of the sets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K59oNY_vPD4

After that, did some Behind the Neck power jerks.
95x5, 135x4, 185x3, 225x2, 255x1.

Then did some OHS. 95x5, 135x4, 185x3, 205x2, 135x5. Really worked on pointing my toes out more and it feels much better and i think it feels much more stable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8af0CNmOk

After that, I did some dumbell lateral raises. Then some abs. Then yoga and roller and got back to work.

Allen Yeh
09-17-2008, 04:46 AM
In regard to the first video:

Drop snatch: It looks like you are pressing the bar, your arms are suppose to straighten to catch the bar as your body moves down. Your stance varies quite a bit at the bottom this should be identical do you OHS stance. There should be a slight dip and as the bar is off your body you should be driving your butt down, your arms should straighten to "catch" the bar but there shouldn't be any pressing.

Power snatches: As you got heavier, you started catching wide, a comfort thing maybe?

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks Allen,
I'll work on doing the drop snatch properly. Greg pointed that out to me a few months back and I tried to work on it. Obviously, I've regressed.

And yes on the wide landing on the heaiver weights. Major apprehension on getting under heavier weights. Tend to jump wide instead of under. I've got to correct that.

All the best,
arden

In regard to the first video:

Drop snatch: It looks like you are pressing the bar, your arms are suppose to straighten to catch the bar as your body moves down. Your stance varies quite a bit at the bottom this should be identical do you OHS stance. There should be a slight dip and as the bar is off your body you should be driving your butt down, your arms should straighten to "catch" the bar but there shouldn't be any pressing.

Power snatches: As you got heavier, you started catching wide, a comfort thing maybe?

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Training from yesterday - post doc deposition. I had no go at all.

Stopped at the Huntington YMCa and lifted on their crappy platform with their crappy coated Ivanko plates.

Started out with 10 min of elliptical and yoga. Missed my roller.

Did snatch complexes. Did 45x3, 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 165x3. Couldn't get down deep with the 165. I need to work on getting lower. Stopped there. Just didn't feel good.

Then did Clean complexes followed by a jerk. 95x4, 135x4, 185xseveral sets. It just didn't feel right. I couldn't drop the weight. And every time I set the bar down my right thumb was going numb. So I didn't go any heavier.

After that, did some back squats. 135x5, 225x4, 315x5, 365x3, 405x2. Something on the floor wasn't level. I stopped there. Then did 5 sets of 5 with 315 in my chucks and power style.

Then did sumo deads. 135x5, 235x4, 325x3, 415x2, 505x10, 315x5.

Then did some strict presses 95x5x5.
Then did some bench 135x10, 185x10, 225x3x5
Then did some wimpy bodybuilder movements.
Then did some abs.

Then talked to an aging weightlifter who competed during the 60s and 70s. He was impressed that I was doing WL movements. Forged a good friendship and hope to keep in touch with him over the upcoming months as he offered some great advice once I was done.

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-22-2008, 01:13 PM
had the show at St. Mary's on Saturday that was a bushel of fun.

Jill and Jill and jack and jill: Those are my little ones at the end. My wife and her partner, then me and my wife, then me and little ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2_xYkAGeeY

Two man with my father (he's 74 years old), standing of my father, a young fellow back home, and myself, then the stock saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVkkKZy1Fs8

Underhand and OP. PR's for Kristy in the underhand (ignore the third hit) and my OP. I was actually running. WTH?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mflLr_CCr0I

Hotsaw - me and Jimmy Taylor. i was 5th, he was 4th.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxABEFgxrSc

It was great fun.

On Sunday did a bunch of olympic drills and some light power snatches with the girls. Walked about a mile and biked three miles with the girls afterwards. The eldest daughter is getting into it and is being coachable. The youngest is not, but what can I expect. She's only 8. The eldest split snatched 35 for sets of 2. And clean and jerked the same weight several times.

Today, had my best beefcake session in a long time. I'm trying to figure out why it was so awesome. Nothing hurt, everything moved, weights were wicked easy etc.

They main thing I think I did differently was I had a big serving of whole wheat pasta with lean homemade meatballs last night and had anoter small serving before going this a.m.

In any event, went and did the following.

Rolled, yoga, and did my olympic bar warm up.

Then did power snatches. 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 155x1, 165x1, 175x1, then 185 for 3 singles. Note, I could have counted the 3 singles as one set. I rested less than 30 seconds between reps. Just long enough to drop the bar, get a drink, slap some chalk on my hands, then grip and rip. Weights went up easier than they have in a long time. I'm still pulling wicked high, but It was very easy.

After that, did some Behind the Neck Push Presses. Did 95x5, 135x5, then 185x3x3.

Then did some squats. 135x2, 225x2, 335x2, 405x2. I think I could have done a set of 8 or 10 today with that 405. My hammies were on my calves and I was going wicked deep.

After that did some light bench (135x10, 185x10, 225x15), some pullovers, and a few arm exercises.

Then did a ton of abs, rolled, more yoga and back to work.

Felt great.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Met the guys from crossfit WV and the facility looks awesome. Huge actually with enough room to put all kinds of cool stuff in it. I can't wait to get into olympic lifting with other folk and teaching others on techniques, etc. It's gonna get wicked fun.

After meeting with Dan and Jeremy, I ran up to the Y and did the following session in less than an hour.

Started with Yoga and Roller.

Then off to the Snatches. Did 75x3, 95x3, 115x2, 135x1. This was meant to be drill work than anything else and they felt good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpUWFkcGEN0

After that did some power cleans in to front squats. Again drill work. Did 115x3, 135x3, 165x3.

I youtubed this, but it's taking forever to upload. oh well.

After that did some squat cleans 185x3, 205x2, 235x1. Then did 255 for 3 singles about 20 to 25 seconds apart. All i did was move the stand where I had my camera setting. Actually I'd put the last two reps about 15 seconds apart because I was pissed that I missed the 2nd one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47bhuZs-NHA

After that I did some jerks. Did 135x3, 185x2, 225x2. Then did 255x 3 singles. Again, did these about 20 to 25 seconds apart. Long enough to move the stand to get a different view on the camera. I think I could have done a triple with that weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNV-7Qc7G2A

After that did some abs, yoga. I'm going to roll here in a little bit.

I'm really excited about crossfit WV. Nice guys who are like minded with me. It's cool to meet folk that are crazy about their fitness.

Oh, here's some footage of Kiara doing some split snatches and some clean and jerk. We've got a long way to go, but she's having fun and is liking doing what we're doing. She's even working with a broom stick at her mom's when she's not with us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbIwPCVWaG8

all the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
09-24-2008, 05:41 AM
Nice videos from the fair. Very cool video of your daughter! I need to take some footage of Connor and the broomstick, at 3 he thinks he's like those people on TV from the Olympics!

The cleans looked nice and crisp, you looked way more comfortable with the 3rd pull!

George Mounce
09-24-2008, 05:49 AM
Arden, awesome videos, that's one sport I so would love to get into, but haven't the foggiest at how to get into it other than to buy a saw and find some wood.

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Nice videos from the fair. Very cool video of your daughter! I need to take some footage of Connor and the broomstick, at 3 he thinks he's like those people on TV from the Olympics!

The cleans looked nice and crisp, you looked way more comfortable with the 3rd pull!

Thanks on both fronts Allen.

My daughters and I are about four weeks removed from the East Coast Gold Gold Cup. I'm nervous as all get out and I'm looking at it as a glorified training day. My little ones are coming along. In time. In time.

The third pull has been very evasive to me. I'm still a long ways away from where I want to be, but I'll get there. I've found that I do better the less I move my feet. Don't know why, but it just feels more comfortable.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Arden, awesome videos, that's one sport I so would love to get into, but haven't the foggiest at how to get into it other than to buy a saw and find some wood.

George,
Where are you located? The sport is all over the place. Most get their start in college as part of the Forestry Clubs. Almost every state funded school has a forestry club. And almost every state funded school with a forestry club has a Woodsmen's Team.

It's a sport predicated upon hard work. As a matter of fact, those that try it often say to me after a training session "man, that's an awful lot like work." It's also great fitness and I make my event training my met-con. I've even incorporated kettlebell work into my event training to make it more "cross fittish."

all the best,
Arden

The sport is getting wicked popular in Europe right now. I'm considering going to France's open championships next July. I just want to go. If that makes any

George Mounce
09-24-2008, 08:25 AM
I currently live in Northern Mississippi. Tons of trees and Weyerhaeuser is huge into foresting around here. I have all the wood you could ever want (do you use primarily hard or soft woods in the events?). Perhaps Mississippi State has a club, I'll check into it as they have a huge agriculture and horticultural program. I'm planning on getting certified as a master gardener this winter in time to start my orchard this spring.

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-24-2008, 09:33 AM
I currently live in Northern Mississippi. Tons of trees and Weyerhaeuser is huge into foresting around here. I have all the wood you could ever want (do you use primarily hard or soft woods in the events?). Perhaps Mississippi State has a club, I'll check into it as they have a huge agriculture and horticultural program. I'm planning on getting certified as a master gardener this winter in time to start my orchard this spring.

George,
I believe they do have a program. Not certain. I know that LSU, Lousiana Tech, Alabama, Arkansas, and Georgia have such programs. I'm not certain about Mississippi.

It's a good place to start.

Have fun and enjoy.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-26-2008, 07:33 AM
9.25.08 Bodyweight 255 but feel and look, I think, leaner.

Started out with yoga and roller.

Started out with Snatch drills and warm ups. Did complexes followed by drop snatches. My left knee was feeling achy so I had to limit myself to power snatches yesterday.

On the drills I did the bar, 75, and 95. Then the knee said no. So I power snatched after that. Did 115x3, 135x2, 165x1, 195x1, 195x1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVkzw07dxJ8

After that did Power clean into a front squat followed by a power jerk. did 95x3, 115x3, 135x3.

Then did clean and jerk with 165, 205, 235, 265, 265.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YyvHH1zReU

I'm starting to get it I think? Any thoughts and observations would be appreciated.

After that, did front squats. Did 135x2, 255x2, 315x2, Then did 365. Was going to do three singles, but saw buddha on the first one, so went back down to 255 and did 3 sets of 3.

After that did some strict military presses. Did 95x5, 135x4, 165x3, 185x2, 205x1. That 205 was the first time I've ever done that and it was pretty easy. I did them from a rack position with my front delts forward, which was completely new to me, so I guess that 205 was actually a PR.

Then did some Incline bench, some dumbell pullovers, and a few sets of arms.

Then Yoga and roller and back to work. It was fun.

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
09-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Nice, the cleans looked great but as the weight got heavier it seemed like you got more hesitant about pulling yourself under the bar. The push jerks were crisp.

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Nice, the cleans looked great but as the weight got heavier it seemed like you got more hesitant about pulling yourself under the bar. The push jerks were crisp.

Thanks Allen. Good observation. I think I need to spend more time "pulling under" heavier weights to get more comfortable with them. If that makes any sense? It's completely a comfort thing for me. In due time. Just need to be patient and not over do it.

All the best, Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Had a small contest this past weekend. Chopped really well. Set a PR in the standing, two man, combination, and jack & jill. Can't get much better than that.

Here's the video footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doHhjso-55g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygATRSyUUHs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQfDzR_WUpo

This a.m. I got my KATA on.

STarted with roller and yoga.

Then went to power snatches. Did 75x3, 95x3, 115x2, 135x2, 165x1, 185x1, 200x1, 205x1. They were NOT pretty. I'm just not doing well in the snatch right now. I'm not getting under the bar at all. My knees take turn aching when I do snatch balances and full squat snatches. But they don't hurt at all to do front squats, squat cleans, or back squats. I have no idea what this is about. It has to be psychosemantic or however you spell it.

Here's the footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4iia-nFBeI

After that, did some snatch grip behind the neck push press. did 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 205x3x3

After that, did back squats. Did 135x3, 255x3, 335x2, 415x2, 435x1, 465x1. That 465 was so easy I fought off the urge to put another wheel on the bar. I could have easily tripled it. I honestly feel I could completely raw squat in the mid 500s in a high bar olympic style.

After that did some bench press. Did 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 255x5.

Then did some Lat pulldown/rear delt row superset - 4 sets

After that did some arms.

Then did some abs and went to work.

It was a good day.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-03-2008, 12:29 PM

Started out with roller and yoga. Felt a little tired today. Decided to make this workout a bit more of an active recovery workout because I was really not into doing what I needed to do. Felt sorta achy all over.

Then went and did some power snatches. Did 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x2, 165x1.

Then did some Power Cleans into Front Squats: did 95x2, 115x2, 135x2, 165x2.

Then did some squat cleans: 165x2, 185x2, 205x2, 235x2.

Then did some jerks from the rack: Did 95x5, 135x3, 185x2, 205x2

Then did some light abs, and some more yoga an roller.

Worked out with Jeremy Mullens at crossfit WV. Broke in the platform nice and proper. Didn't have my roller, but did have a mat to do some yoga.

Started out with Power Snatches. Did 65x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x2, 165x1.
Did two sets of squat snatches with 135.

Then did Power Cleans into Front Squats: did 95x2, 115x2, 135x2, 155x2.

Then did squat cleans: 155x2, 185x2, 205x2, 225x2, 245x2, 265x1, 275x power clean

Then did some jerks and push presses with Jeremy. Did several sets working on form with him and top set was 245x2.

Then did some conventional deads. did 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 405x15, 225x5.

Did some more yoga and went back to work.

No weight or event training. Did a ton of roller and ots of yoga

Same as yesterday. Two big contests this weekend.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-10-2008, 02:00 PM
10.4.08 competed at the Mountain State Forest Festival

Won the all around. Won the Hard hit with a Pesonal Record. Won the manual tree falling and placed 5th in the hotsaw, 2nd in the two man, 3rd in the jack and jill, and 3rd in the underhand chop. Great day.

here's some footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4J9Q0K9nxU

The first team up involves my 74 year old father, still going strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwqTgWJE3nI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR73hOBBkIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Bx20797SU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVUJbbYO9qM

I'm actually competing against my 74 year old father during the last heat of this event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBruVF0EH8w

then the top 4 guys in the North American Hard Hit challenge. this was one of the best I've ever done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb6oP6j5fHM

10.5.08 competed at the Paul Bunyan Show. Another great day. won the underhand, 2nd in the springboard and standing, 3rd in the jack and jill, 3rd in the axe throw, and 8th in the two man.

here's some footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obSW9QNR4Ac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRC0dDvjKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CslFwhE0Rpc

This is my wife up first. She's still learning, but she's getting much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McAEdnWsOzA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYLYR4iopks

10.6.08 did absolutley nothing. completely exhausted.

10.7.08 did an a.m. workout with the wife.

Started with yoga and roller.

then went to power snatches. went 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x2, 165x1, 175x1, 185x1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6clS2XOAA8

Then did power cleans into front squat. 95x2, 135x2, 165x2

Then did squat cleans even though I'm pulling hte weight way too high 165x2, 205x2, 235x1, 255x1, 265x1, 275x1

After that I did some rack jerks. Did 95x3, 135x3, 185x2, 205x1, 235x1, 255x1.

After that did some abs and two sets of 40L followed by 40R with a 24kg kb - nice.

yoga ended the session.

10.8.08 Didn't do too much other than doing drill work with my little one. She worked on her snatch and clean and jerk.

Here's her split snatches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRC7xh163AY

Here's her clean and jerks. I worked hard with her after I got glimpse of the side view. We've got another session planned next wednesday. Hopefully we see an improvement in her spinal lardosis or arch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1fg0W3EzOU

Here she is playing with my new jerk boxes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7OwD4Fv3gg

10.9.08 - worked 16 hours. Didn't get to train. But rolled when I eventually got home.

10.10.08 - got another early morning beefcake.

Started with roller and yoga.

then went to power snatch. Did some drill work. Then 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x2, 165x1, 185x1, 205x1. Put 215 on the bar but just snatch pulled it to my eyebrows which was promising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENXanMgC8sM

Then went to Power Clean into Front squat. Went 95x3, 135x3, 165x3.

Then into Clean and jerks. Again, I'm pulling the bar way too high. Did 185x1, 205x1, 235x1, 255x1. Was going to do 275, but just didn't have it this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JooMPNVccfo

After that, did some front squats. 185x3, 255x3, 275x3, 315x2, 335x1. That was really easy.

After that did about 45 to 50 reps per minute of kettle bell swing alternating hands every minute for 4 mintues. I was feeling that last 30 seconds.

Did some yoga and got to work.

Going on a wood run here in about 15 minutes. Doing a demo tomorrow.

Allen Yeh
10-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Congrats on the win!

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-24-2008, 06:53 AM
Missed the week leading up to the Gold Cup. did two sessions working up to my openers on the first session. Then the to my last warm up on the second session.

Lifted on Sunday the 19th.

Here's what I've done since then.

Tuesday - October 21

I've decided to stop doing all power versions of the olympic lifts, so I had an interesting session of fun misses.

Then went with Squat Snatches - did a Tall/Hang snatch followed by a snatch from the floor. did 75x3, 95x2, 115x2, 135x2, then did 165 for 3 sets of 2 - missed a couple reps, but kept on going til I got 2 good ones. then did 135x2.

Then did Overhead Squats. 135x5, 165x4, 185x3, 205x2, 225x1.

Then did Snatch Grip Push Press. 135x5, 185x4, 215x3, 235x2, 255x1.

Then did Snatch Pulls. Finally understand high elbows on Snatch Pulls. I can't believe I didn't until this session. I'm sooooo slow.

Did 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 255x3, 265x3.

Then Benched. did 135x10, 185x10, 225x20.
Then did three sets of Arms.
Tried to do some kettlebell swings, but saw Buddha
Then did abs.

On Wednesday October 22, did the following:

yoga and roller.

The did Full Squat Cleans. 75x3, 95x3, 135x3, 165x3, 185x3, 205x3x3. Again, I missed a few of the 205 and that was more of losing it by my hand coming off the bar. But I'll get the hang of it eventually. Kept on doing the weight until I got 3 clean reps.

Then did front squats: 135x5, 225x5, 275x4, 315x3, 325x2, then did a negative with 365 and held it for 5 to 7 seconds. Buddha gave his regards.

Then did some EDT push presses. Warmed up with 95x3, 135x3, 185x3. Then did 205 for as many reps as I could in 5 mintues. Did set of 5,4,4,3, and 4 before 5 minutes was up.

Then did some clean pulls. Again, it was like a light went off. I finally understand "high elbows" and pulled the bar explosively and slightly above navel height. Went 205x2, 285x2, 315x2.

Then did 3 sets of pullovers.

Then did some cosmonaut sit ups, get ups, and abs.

more yoga.

Friday - October 24.

Started with Yoga and roller.

Then did Snatch complexes - tall, hang, and full. All going into full squat position. Will youtube some it tonight. I wasn't pretty, but I was doing pretty well, I thought. did 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, then 135x3x3.

Then did squat clean complexes (Tall, hang, and full). Went 135x3, 165x3, 185x3, 185x3.

Then did some back squats. Went 155x5, 245x4, 315x3, 365x3, 405x1.

Then did some sumo deadlifts. First time for about six weeks. Went 155x5, 245x4, 325x3, 415x2, 505x10. Surprised me at how easy it was. I'll youtube it later.

Then did some upper body machine work.

Followed by abs.

More yoga and off to work.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-28-2008, 07:19 AM
We won't talk about my bodyweight right now. But my Tanita has me getting evening readings between 14 and 17% Which is 5 percent lower than this time last year. My weight got as low as 255, but right now I'm right around 260, but I look leaner. could be all the heavy weights I did getting ready for the Gold Cup.

Here's what I've done the past few days.

October 25 - lazy day, rolled and did some yoga and tai chi.
October 26 - Practice wood run. Drove two hours, fell seven enormous pine trees, limbed them, and cut them to log lengths. Then loaded about 40 13" to 24" in diameter 24" chunks into my truck and trailer. Drove home (got a flat on trailer on the way home- that was horrible). GPP at it's finest. Likely burned a couple thousand calories actually physically working for nearly 6 hours.

October 27 - Practice wood run. Did have the fall the trees, but bucked up 50 blocks and loaded and unloaded as many in my truck and trailer. Again GPP at it's finest.

October 28 - A.m. workout.

Started out Yoga, Roller.

then went to snatch drills (Tall, hang, full - followed by a few drop snatches). Again, missed a lot and kept on going until I got three good reps. Did 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, then 135x4x3. I'll youtube some of this later as I can't load them on my work computer.

Then did OHS - 95x5, 135x4, 165x3, 185x3, 205x1. Really tired from all the GPP of the wood runs.

Then did Snatch Grip Push Press BTH: 95x5, 135x5x5.

Was going to do some snatch pulls, but my back and hammys are fried from the GPP of wood runs.

Then did some bench press: 135x10, 155x3x10.
Then did some arms.
Then did some abs.
Then more yoga and got to work.

Doing another wood run before I meet a witness this afternoon. One more wood run this week. I'm getting really tired.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-31-2008, 10:52 AM
October 29 - nothing physical other than some yoga and foam rolling. Very tired from all the GPP

October 30 - morning workout.

Did clean drills - Did a ton of tall cleans at the beginning of the sesion. Started with the Bar, then 75 pounds for 5x3, then 95x3x3, then 115x2x3, then 135x2x3, then 165x2x3. Then couldn't do the tall variety with the heavier weights, but did 185x2x3, then 205x2

Here's some highlights. All input is welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4S-VrBAXAQ

After that did some Front Squats - 155x5, 245x4, 325x3, then my body said no more pie. that 325 brought out Buddha.

After that did some strict Military or Shoulder Press. 95x5, 135x4, 165x3, 185x2, 215x1

Then did some Clean pulls. 255x3, 335x2x3.

Then did some dumbell pullovers 3 sets.

Then did some abs and got to work.

Later that afternoon, after getting a witness ready for deposition, I did another "wood run." Lugged, toted, and wrestled with large pieces of wood. GPP at it's finest.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Weighed 257 this a.m., but the bodyfat was 16% on my Tanita. I hope to have a dexascan on my b.f. soon. I'm sure I'm a lot chubbier than I am on both the Tanita (14 to 17%) and skin fold (11% to 13%).

10.31.08 did some broom stick drills. Drops mainly. Then did some yoga and foam roller.

11.1.08. Did a lumberjack met-con workout at Crossfit WV's open house. I ended up calling it "Babe the Blue Ox." Cut a 13" white pine underhand, followed by 405 conventional deadlift for 10, followed by 40kg long cycle clean and jerk for 10 reps (5R, 5L).

Did a bunch of work with folk on rack position, starting position for cleans and deadlifts. I hope to start teaching a monthly class on OLY lifting and basic (squats and deads) movements. It was a barrel of fun.

Here's the youtube of the Babe the Blue OX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhMcqqsFEYc

All the best,
ARden

Arien Malec
11-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Here's the youtube of the Babe the Blue OX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhMcqqsFEYc

Wow....

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-04-2008, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=Arien Malec;42144]Wow....[/QUOTE

Thanks Arien. I was feeling it afterward.

November 2 and 3rd, took it easy. Just rolled and did some yoga sessions.

November 4, had my snatch session.

Then went to snatch drills. Went Bar for lots of drops and talls. Then went 75x2x3, 95x2x3, 115x2x3, 135x11x3. Yes, that's right, 11 sets. Little OCD. I was waiting for my wife to get off the stepper, so I kept on doing sets while she was on the stepper. I only recorded a few of the sets. I started with Talls and hangs and when I started getting tired, I switched to full pulls.

I completely forget to turn my elbows out. I don't know what I was thinking.

Here's some highlights. I hope I'm getting better?

http://www.youtube.com/v/v3KPNVJmHOs</a>

After that did some overhead squats. 95x5, 135x4, 165x3, 185x5, 205x2.

Then did some snatch grip push press behind the neck. 135x5, 185x4, 205x3, 255x2, 285x1.

Then did some snatch pulls: 205x3, 255x3, 275x3. I recorded these to hopefully get some commentary. I was thinking high elbows, but again forgot to turn my elbows out.

;http://www.youtube.com/v/CG_wby_3phk</a>

After that did some incline bench andother machine work with the misses.

Then did some yoga and took my wife to dinner. It was our anniversary.

all the best,
Arden

Dave Van Skike
11-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Happy Anniversary.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Happy Anniversary.

Thanks Dave. I'm pretty sure she still likes me too. Better get off the puter though. :D

All the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
11-05-2008, 02:48 AM
I love anniversaries. They are the best! Congratulations.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks Derek!!!

Here's what I did yesterday. Went a little OCD again.

Yoga and roller to begin.

Did squat cleans and drills. Did tons of Tall cleans until the weights got a big heavy. The first few weights were on my toes and shrugged and just jumping under the weight. So counter intuitive, but I gave it my all. Did the Bar for 3 sets of 5, then 75 for 3x3, then 95x3x3, then 115x2x3, then 135x3, then 165x3, then 185x2, 205x2, 225x2. Then did two singles with 235 and 255 for regular squat cleans. Hoping for some commentary on those. They felt good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzaukb8b1EQ

After all those reps, I had no go in the front squats, but I did manage 155x5, and 245x4. I had visions of going up to 365, but that was quickly dashed when the 4th rep with 245 was a b*stard.

Then did strict presses - 95x5, 135x4, 165x3, 185x2, 225x1.

Then did clean pulls - 255x3, 315x3, 335x3, 365x3

Then did some abs as I was feeling pretty beat up from the previous days workout combined with this onslaught of drill work.

Last night, I did a bunch of kettlebell stuff with my wife and youngest daughter.

All the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
11-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Just to make sure you know your chainsawperformance website is down. I clicked through from your youtube page and saw the error.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Just to make sure you know your chainsawperformance website is down. I clicked through from your youtube page and saw the error.

Derek,

Yep. i'll need to change that URL. Thanks for reminding me.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
hello All,
Been a few days since I reported.

ON Friday, I had an interesting session.

Did some yoga and roller to start out.

Then did me some snatches. Can't go wrong with that, now can we?

Went 45x2x3, 75x2x3, 95x2x3, 115x1x3, 135x1x3 (these were all Tall, Hang, then Full). Then I did 165 for 2 sets of 2 for full movements.

here's some highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBbmPfpznI

After that, did some clean and jerks. Did two reps with the cleans - a tall variety and full variety both with jerks.

did 95x2, 135x2, 165x2, 185x2, 205x2. Was going to go to 235, but something gave me some reasoning skills. Moreover my right knee was feeling a bit creeky, so I gave on the idea.

After that, I tried to back squat and realized the volume of the previous stuff was just stupid. Only did a few sets. Did 155x5, then 245x5, then went back down to 155 for 3 more sets of 5.

Then did some clean pulls - 205x3, 315x3, 335x3, 335x3

Here's the footage from the clean pulls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFtWnZHs-WY

After that, I think we did some bench, and some other foofy movements. Don't remember the weights or reps. Kinda immaterial really. We may have actually done a curl of some sort.

Then did some abs, rolled, did me yoga and went on a feeding frenzy.

On 11.8.08 - did a kettlebell workout with the wife. she used a pink akc 8kg and I used a 24kg. We did a lot of snatches, LCCJ, get ups, sling shots, halos, sumo deadlifts, front squats. tons of single and two handed swings, etc. All told, we spent about 35 minutes keeping our heart rates between 125 and 160. Except for the sets of snatches where I went to 20 reps L then R.

On 11.9.08 Did nothing but foam roll and yoga while I was watching football and bad TV. Even sat through 3 hours of Oxygen programming to up my husbandly points. :-D

on 11.10.08 began my new KATA program. Sweet Jesus she's a beauty.

Then went to my snatches. Program called for 4 sets of 4 with top sets at 70% for 5 reps. So I warmed up with the bar. Then did 5 reps with 75 in the following fashion - Tall, Tall, high hang, below knee hang, full. Did that progression with 75, 95, 115, and 135. Then did it with 155 except I didn't attempt talls. Just did varying hang levels.

I'll youtube it tonight.

After that, did 5 sets of 5 with 70% (2 top sets) of Behind the neck Push Press. Did 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, then 225x5, 225x5.

After that did 6 sets of 4 with 70% (2 top sets) on back squat. Did 135x4, 225x4, 315x4, 365x4, 365x4, 315x4

I recorded one of the squat sets for fun.

Then did snatch pulls. Was to do 70% (two top sets for 4) for 4 sets of 4. So did 205x4, 255x4, 255x4, and 205x4.

Will youtube some of it later.

After that, did 4 sets of 8 with 2 sets being 70%. Did 135x8, 165x8, 165x8, 95x8. Buddha gave his regards on those two sets with 165. That was a nice touch to the KATA. Really lambasted me good.

After that did 4 sets of 12 various ab movements.

Did some yoga, rolled, and got to work.

I'm going to clean up the barn tonight so I can start my event training. Yeah baby. Time to get fast.

all the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Here's some video highlights from today. The drills were awesome - tall, tall, hang, hang lower, ground. Couldn't do it with the top sets. Had to go hang, hang lower, hang lower, hang lower, ground. They're awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4rDrC0PDHk

The young lady in the background is as strong as a bull moose. She squatted 255 Raw at a USPF comp last year and deadlifted 335. She benched 165. She's about 5'10". Very strong and determined. It's A joy to watch her train.

Here's a sample of my top sets on the squat and pulls. Only 365 in the squat. And 255 on the pull. I tried to see how high I could pull the first two reps? I think I could get under that pretty easy. That's a goal of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ExtRdWbi9w

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-12-2008, 10:43 AM

Did roller and yoga to start out.

Started out with Squat Cleans. Did then under the Tall to floor or top to bottom format. Did Tall, High Hang, lower high hang, below knee hang, and then from the floor.

Went 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 185x5.

After that, did some push presses. Went 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x5, 205x5.

After that did some front squats. Went 135x4, 245x4, 295x4 (saw Buddha), 245x4, 245x4, 245x4. Those were hard. Something about the pre-fatigue of the squat cleans is just lambasting my ability to front squat effectively.

After that did some Clean Pulls. Went 205x4, 315x4, 365x4, 365x4, 315x4.

Here's some highlights from the squat cleans and clean pulls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGHtFPpowyI

After that did some Kettlebell presses. Did 24kgx8, 32kgx8, 32kgx8, then 24kgx8.

After that did some abs.

Then more yoga and roller and off to work.

All the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
11-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Here's a sample of my top sets on the squat and pulls. Only 365 in the squat. And 255 on the pull. I tried to see how high I could pull the first two reps? I think I could get under that pretty easy. That's a goal of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ExtRdWbi9w

All the best,
Arden

Yeah you are under that no problem if you commit.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah you are under that no problem if you commit.

Derek,
"Commit" is the key word isn't it? :D I'm going to stick with the comfort weights until I feel good getting under the bar. But I'm going to slowly get to where I can overhead squat the weight with comfort. I think that's the smart way to go about it. Would you agree?

All the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
11-12-2008, 01:48 PM
I am not a good example. My best snatch is higher than my best OHS. Now that is based on me not working OHS's. You are progressing so well with your training that I just enjoy watching. My comment was from support. YOU CAN DO IT! I am cheerleading from the sideline.

Allen Yeh
11-13-2008, 04:16 AM
My best OHS is way more than my best snatch, 40#'s or so.

Why 5's for the cleans? I've seen in the past that Greg typically doesn't recommend anything over doubles and triples for the classic lifts. I know other coaches have recommended more reps at times, just wondering why you chose 5.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-14-2008, 11:59 AM
I am not a good example. My best snatch is higher than my best OHS. Now that is based on me not working OHS's. You are progressing so well with your training that I just enjoy watching. My comment was from support. YOU CAN DO IT! I am cheerleading from the sideline.

Thanks Derek,
I'm now entereing into new realm with my training, but incorporating my event training in as part of my GPP. Technical issues will be what I'm working on, but I'm also doing high volume of hits/strokes/movements to program my body to perform the technical adjustments naturally. If that makes any sense? It's going to be fun. And hard. And maybe, someday, I might see an ab muscle. :D Actually, I've already got a nice 4 and 3/4 pack going on. It just looks like a tortoise shell from all the years of lifting too heavy. Oh the joys of the middle aged protruding abdomen. Finally get my bodyfat remotely respectable and I still look like I have a symbiant - but just a smaller version than this time last year.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-14-2008, 12:15 PM
My best OHS is way more than my best snatch, 40#'s or so.

Why 5's for the cleans? I've seen in the past that Greg typically doesn't recommend anything over doubles and triples for the classic lifts. I know other coaches have recommended more reps at times, just wondering why you chose 5.

Allen,
I'm slowly getting to where I can OHS what I consider to be respectable numbers - which is close to my bodyweight - which is a goal of mine. The biggest obstacle I face is the descent into the hole with the weight. When I do dead stops from the bottom, the bodyweight is no problem. I've actually gone as heavy as 335 doing OHS that way. That's wayyyyyyy over what ican currently snatch (my pr is 230) - but, in hindsight, that was a straight legged muscle snatch.

On the sets of 5s with the cleans and snatches, my coach Randy Hauer, is putting me through drill work at high volume as this is "my foundation" time of year for both my strength work and event work. The reality I have to face, as he's explained to me, is that I don't need to get any stronger. I need to refine the strength I have and improve my weak areas while manitaining as much of my absolute strength as I can. AS I've learned, the secret to improving your athleticism and your overall athletic performance is understanding your weaknesses (mine is an absolute versus explosive strength deficit), correcting them as best you can, while not sacrificing your strengths.

Given that my sport is predicated upon a combination of hand eye coordination and axe/saw stroke speed, We've chosen to do my skill strength movements at higher reps with weights that I can safely handle. In reality, the implements I use in my sport don't weigh much, but they weigh enough to where you need to have good hand speed to generate great force to bring about a forceful blow. We're betting on some carryover.

I hope it pays off. Either way, I'm having fun. That's the important part.

Don't know if any of that makes any sense?

I'm a work in progress. As are we all.

All the best,
Arden

Kris Reeves
11-14-2008, 02:27 PM
The reality I have to face, as he's explained to me, is that I don't need to get any stronger.

I wish I had that problem!!!

On a different note, do you find doing the roller work in the start of your workout to be beneficial? I always do my roller work after. In fact, since I workout at home I generally wait until after my shower so I'm super limber and relaxed (and let's be honest...so I'm not stinkin' up my roller! :)).

I've just always thought of using it after more in terms of therapy/relaxation...I've never thought to use it as a way to loosen up before the workout. Interesting, I may have to give that a try.

Emily Mattes
11-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Arden, I noticed you competed in the East Coast Gold cup. I missed it on account of lameness, but I'm a member of the ECG Baltimore satellite team. Are you with ECG, or another? Are you coming back this way for the Batimore Open in January?

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-15-2008, 06:45 PM
I wish I had that problem!!!

On a different note, do you find doing the roller work in the start of your workout to be beneficial? I always do my roller work after. In fact, since I workout at home I generally wait until after my shower so I'm super limber and relaxed (and let's be honest...so I'm not stinkin' up my roller! :)).

I've just always thought of using it after more in terms of therapy/relaxation...I've never thought to use it as a way to loosen up before the workout. Interesting, I may have to give that a try.

Kris,
Roller pre-workout is a must for me. I love it. I have one at my office and one at home that I keep by the TV. The ones at the gym aren't as good as my personal black powersystems man makers. I love rolling. Has saved me tons of money in massage therapy. I wish I would have doing it for the past 20 years. I honeslty believe I could have avoided a lot of over training and injuries.

Please give the pre-workout rolling a try. I think you'll be happy you did.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Arden, I noticed you competed in the East Coast Gold cup. I missed it on account of lameness, but I'm a member of the ECG Baltimore satellite team. Are you with ECG, or another? Are you coming back this way for the Batimore Open in January?

Emily,
My daughter, Kiara (she's 11), and I are ECG members. We live in WV, so we train on our own as not many folk in our area Olympic lift. However, we hope to change that over the next few years.
I've made it my personal goal to get a weighlifting club established in the Charleston/Huntington area. I'm attending the USAW club coach cert at Potamic Crossfit on January 31. After that, I'm going to do a 501c3 for the club, then take it from there. I'm to start teaching Olympic lifting classes at Crossfit WV next month and hope to do a few classes each month to increase interest in the sport - this will all be on my dime. I'll volunteer to help anyone who's interested in the sport. I think it's a great sport. And both my young ones have shown some interest. Which absolutely thrills me. The youngest could be an olympian (IMO) someday. The eldest wants to be an actress, so she sees her training in OL as a adjunct to getting fitter and trimmer for that endeavor - which I completely support.

To answer your question, my daughters are both going to lift at the Pittsburgh Open on January 24. Baltimore is a good 9 hours for us, so we're going to stay close to home until the ECG Gold Cup next Fall. I'll likely only compete at the Gold Cup until I feel more comfortable in the sport. At this stage, I'm just doing it for my little ones as they've expressed interest - and I'm OCD on performance issues, so it goes hand in hand.

Have a great weekend.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Here's what I've been into.

11.14.08 Kata w1 wo 4 - 70%

Started with Roller and yoga.

Started with Drop snatches. Did 75x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 135x5.

Then went to snatches. Did my complexes - tall, high hang, lower high hang, etc. until I got to the floor. Went 45x5, 75x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 155x5

Then did back squats - 135x4, 245x4, 315x4, 365x4, 365x4, 315x4.

Then did dead stop overhead squats - this was a nice brutal touch. Started with the pins set at just over chest height. Did 135x8, 165x8, I had ambition to do 185x8, but got 5 reps, then stripped it to 135 for the last 3. Then did 135x8 on the fourth one.

Then did Romanian Dead lifts. 255x4, 335x4, 425x4, 425x4.

Here's some highlights of the workout. Top sets of the drop snatch and three sets of the snatch complexes and one set of the top set of the RDL's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqC5EHN1SHI

Again, if anyone has some commentary, please pass it on. I'm all ears.

Did some event work. Cut 2 singles on 21" log. Saw is not agressive enough to do anything substantive. I'm going to get my hard wood shark back from Jay Blackburn and train with it on this dry pine as I think it would be similar to using a real saw on fresh wood. I worked on keeping the saw down and using my legs more. Cut one old sycamore 11" standing - she was a beauty. Cut half and half as I didn't have enough steam to cut the full log. Worked on getting my legs into the movement, coming over the top better and finishing the hits. Then did some underhand on a 17" Poplar. Cut the front and will save the rest for later. Worked on getting my arms out, finishing the hit and getting my shoulders cocked for proper delivery. Then did some tree climbs - only filmed one.

Here's some footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPHI-ZcbEi8

After that did some Coach Handy GPP - two minutes of snatches with a 24kg, followed by a minute of handle work, followed by two minutes of LCCJ, followed by one minute of handle work, followed by two minutes of swings, followed by more handle work, followed by more swings, followed by more handle work - brutal

Here's the bell footage for folk to make fun of. I had a great training partner - my body double. My youngest daughter (she just turned 8 a few weeks ago), Carmen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot3H41BAbmE

Tomorrow looks even funner - both girls are going to train with me. I'm looking forward to it.

All the best,
Arden

Emily Mattes
11-15-2008, 09:09 PM
That's awesome, Arden, and I bet with your genes your daughters will go far in the lifting world. I was actually thinking of attending that USAW cert, but combining the short length of time I've been lifting with the cost I didn't feel comfortable. I can't correct other people's mistakes until I can correct some of my own! I'll be attending Greg's program in DC, and would like to do the coaching cert when I'm a little more experienced.

Derek Simonds
11-16-2008, 07:08 AM
Arden your form is looking stellar on the bell work. What is the handle work you did in between the snatches and C&J? I love how your daughter perched herself on your boxes. I have no idea why kids will instantly climb to the highest place they can sit to watch, mine do it all the time. My son will climb up and hang over the p/u bar and just watch. Kind of like cats I think.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-17-2008, 06:33 AM
That's awesome, Arden, and I bet with your genes your daughters will go far in the lifting world. I was actually thinking of attending that USAW cert, but combining the short length of time I've been lifting with the cost I didn't feel comfortable. I can't correct other people's mistakes until I can correct some of my own! I'll be attending Greg's program in DC, and would like to do the coaching cert when I'm a little more experienced.

Emily,
It's ironic that you mention Greg's program. I only learned of it a few weeks back and really wanted to go, but that would have meant, for me, Greg's cert, Pittsburgh Open, then USAW club coach cert on consecutive weekends. I would have died for sure.

I hear you on correcting your own versus other folks problems. I've found that watching a ton of youtube after searching 'weightlifting" really helps you find what's good and what's not so good. Identifying issues in someone else's form actually becomes easier once you start video taping and opening yourself up to criticism. Greg's comments are unrea (as are others on this site), and going to such sites as weighliftingexchange and fortifiediron help a lot too. GoHeavy is okay, but that's a much older crowd and the board is very difficult to follow because of the format.

I think we're on the right path. My issue is learning how to coach my daughters without getting the "DAaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddd." I actually caught my 11 year old watchin some lifting on youtube last night. That was refreshing. :D

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Arden your form is looking stellar on the bell work. What is the handle work you did in between the snatches and C&J? I love how your daughter perched herself on your boxes. I have no idea why kids will instantly climb to the highest place they can sit to watch, mine do it all the time. My son will climb up and hang over the p/u bar and just watch. Kind of like cats I think.

Thanks Derek!!

And yes, I completely agree with you on the "cats" metaphor. My youngest's nickname is "Kitty."

The handle work I'm referring to during my "rounds" with the kettlebell is using an axe handle and mimicing cutting through logs as though I'd do it competition. No different than swinging a golf club really. I swing it the same as I would an axe in competition or event training - just don't have an axe head on it. I've gotten to where my "handle work" swing is the same as my comp/training swing (even without the head). It allows me to really engrain the neuropathways with what I want my body to do when I deliver the axe. Sorta like doing olympic lifts with a broom stick. Saves trees too. :D And it saves my body having to wrestle those trees into my truck and then into my barn (which is awesome GPP in limited doses).

All the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
11-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Very cool. I was thinking it was some sort of grip work with the KB but now I understand. Thanks for explaining.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Very cool. I was thinking it was some sort of grip work with the KB but now I understand. Thanks for explaining.

My pleasure!! It's really no different than swinging a golf club between sets - just engraining the neural pathways and reminding me of the true reason for my training.

Oh my, I saw Buddha in such a huge way with yesterday's session. Sweet Jesus it was brutal. Volume is an understatement.

Started out with Roller and Yoga.

Then started with my squat cleans. I did Tall cleans full extended and on my toes and shrugged for the first three sets. Did 45x5, 75x5, 95x5. Then I did my complex (Tall, high hang, lower high hang, below knee hang, floor pull) with 115x5, 135x5, Then did 165x5, then 185x5 and 205x5.

Recorded the 185x5 and the 205x5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-J5u61sAIw

I gotta say, the last few reps on the 185 and the 205 were brutal. I wasn't getting real good and tall on these and they may have been due to fatigue. But it sure was fun.

Then the routine got nasty. I did squat cleans and push press. One clean, one push press - equaled one rep.

Did Tall squat clean with PP with 95x5, 135x5.

Then did what I could with 165x5, 185x5 and 205x5.

Here's the footage from the session with enlightenment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b1F60LnfxA

After that, I tried to front squat. After having already completed 65 reps of calves on hamstrings as fast as I could, my absolute strength was a bit taxed. I still managed to do 155x4, 245x4, 295x4, 275x4, 245x4, 155x4.

After that, did some seated presses for the first time in nearly 20 years. Did 95x5,135x5, 165x5, 165x5, 135x5.

After that I did some sumo deadlifts: did 155x8, 245x3, 335x3, 425x3, 515x8, 515x8. That second set was really tough. The first set of 515 is at the end of the squat clean and push press pain.

After that, I did some abs with Kristy, rolled, and did some yoga.

Awesome session, brutal. I like the volume.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-19-2008, 08:35 AM
My Kata today nearly killed me. HOly crap. Coach Handy and his OHS at the end of the workout are just leading me to enlightenment.

Started out with Roller and Yoga.

Then went into the Snatch Drills - Tall Snatches to start - did 45x5, 75x5, and 95x5, Then did matrixes with 115 and 135. Then did my two top sets of 165 for 5 in whatever fashion I could get them up. the first set was good. The second set had three misses as I didn't get my head back and the bar the right receiving position. I felt I was getting pretty good and tall on these. I am, however, jumping forward and back, so I'm going to put some marks on the floor and see where I land after each rep. Great cue.

After that, I did some push presses Behind the Neck with a snatch grip. Did 45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 235x5, 235x5. No problem. They were pretty easy.

After that I did some back squats. Hamstrings were on calves and had the bar nice and high. Went 155x4, 245x4, 315x4, 385x4, 385x4, 315x4. These were pretty easy as well. I'm starting to hit a groove with this high bar olympic style squats.

After that I did some Snatch Grip Pulls. Did 205x5, 255x5, 265x5, 275x5, 275x5, 205x5. I was starting to feel fatigued at this stage. But the best was yet to come.

The Overhead Squats from hell. Did 95x8, 135x8, 165x8, 175x8, 165x8, 135x8. I recorded two sets of these for some amusement.

Then did some abs, rolled, some yoga and got to work.

I'll youtube the silliness tonight.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Here's my kata for today.

I'll post the videos from yesterday and today tonight.

Started with roller and yoga. Did a lot too, because I was actually a little sore from the squats from yesterday.

Then started with Squat Cleans. Did Tall cleans with 45x5, 95x5, 115x5. Then did matrixes with 135x5, 165x5, 190x5, and 210x5. I missed two of the reps with the 210 as the bar gravitated a little away from me. I caught it and rode it down. But when I went to stand up with it, it came off my rack position, so I didn't fight it.

After that I did some push presses. Did 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 215x5, 215x5. These were pretty easy.

After that I did some front squats. I started with 155x5, then 245x5,, then 315 and got three reps and knew better to try rep 4 and 5. I dropped the weight back down to 245 and did 3 more sets of 5. My front squat strength has either dropped dramatically or I'm exhausted from all the squat cleans. The back squats were strong the day before, so I'm guessing it's a fatigue issue.

After that I did some clean pulls. I went 245x5, 315x4, 365x4, 385x4, and 405x5.

After that I did some kettebell presses. Did 24kgx8, 32kgx8, 32kgx8, 32kgx8, and 24kgx8.

Did some abs, some roller and yoga and got back to work. It was a pretty hard workout, but I paced myself a lot better than I have in previous days. I'm feeling pretty beat up right now, but I'll make it.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Finally got the silliness from the past few days uploaded.

From 11.19.08

First is some snatch drill work - 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, then two top sets of 165x5 - wasn't pretty, but prettier than a month ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAytq0ou4x0

Second is some overhead squats after having performed snatches, snatch grip push press, squats, snatch grip pulls - yeah baby....the tank was empty and I was feeling seriously enlightened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1hO9R1yuMg

From 11.20.08

First is some clean work - just the top three sets 165x5, 190x5, and 210x5. Working on keeping the bar close and getting under the bar. Still jumping forward a little bit, but it's better than before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79q9ub_rRm4

Second is some clean pulls - top three sets 365x4, 385x4, and 405x5. I'm having some serious calf cramps tonight, so I think the heavy weights, and tons of reps may be starting to add up. Tomorrow is an event training/kettlebell day, so I should get some good rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87Y3TFAtgM

Any commentary is completely welcome. I need all the help I can get.

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
11-21-2008, 04:32 AM
I just want to say you are looking slimmer! I know you've lost a bunch of weight but I guess I really noticed it looking at your vids today.

I feel like this jumping forward thing is something recent? Maybe I'm jjust not remembering correctly but I'm pretty sure you didn't use to do that. I'd post the vid as a seperate thread and try to get Greg's comments. I'm pretty much drawing a blank on what you are doing when you are jumping forward. I have a few thoughts but I can't recall if it's correct. I noticed you stopped jumping forward the heavier the weight got? Also it looked to me on the miss with the 210 you didn't reposition your feet.

Kris Reeves
11-21-2008, 06:54 AM
I think the jumping forward can be the result of several things...bar swinging out, hips rising to fast, etc.

The only thing I've found to work worth a damn for me is to draw a line on my platform. When I start the pull my toes are ever so slightly in front of the line. I just make sure to jump slightly back so that I end up just behind.

If I don't concentrate on trying to jump back behind the line, for some reason I always jump forward.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-21-2008, 05:23 PM
I just want to say you are looking slimmer! I know you've lost a bunch of weight but I guess I really noticed it looking at your vids today.

I feel like this jumping forward thing is something recent? Maybe I'm jjust not remembering correctly but I'm pretty sure you didn't use to do that. I'd post the vid as a seperate thread and try to get Greg's comments. I'm pretty much drawing a blank on what you are doing when you are jumping forward. I have a few thoughts but I can't recall if it's correct. I noticed you stopped jumping forward the heavier the weight got? Also it looked to me on the miss with the 210 you didn't reposition your feet.

Thanks Allen,
I'm still a cow. Just a cow of less epic proportion. :D But yes, I'm very pleased. In a little over a year, I've managed to drop about 12 pounds and lose 5% bodyfat. Pretty good considering middle age.

On the jumping foward, I would say it's a new thing. I have become determined to learn to squat clean properly. As a result, I'm doing a ton of tall and hang clean drill work (and Tall and hang snatches to develop the squat snatches). On the lighter sets I have a tendency to let the bar gravitate forward or away from my body during the pull and bounce/loop away from body at the tallest position - that's what causing me to jump forward. I've finally getting to where I'm getting tall on the cleans, now, I have to be more deliberate in not bouncing it out when I get it as tall as I can. While keeping it close to my body. I think.

I'll start a new thread after tomorrows session so I can compete a series of sessions.

A long time ago, you told me to put marks on the floor so I can take note of foot position from pull to receiving position. I'm finally doing it every rep. Took me long enough to listen, eh? Sorry about that.

I swear I'm coachable. And thanks so much for time and thought. Means a lot to me.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-21-2008, 05:25 PM
I think the jumping forward can be the result of several things...bar swinging out, hips rising to fast, etc.

The only thing I've found to work worth a damn for me is to draw a line on my platform. When I start the pull my toes are ever so slightly in front of the line. I just make sure to jump slightly back so that I end up just behind.

If I don't concentrate on trying to jump back behind the line, for some reason I always jump forward.

Kris,
All excellent points and great observations. Allen told me to do that last year when I started this stuff. I did it ocassionally, now ever since I've become obsessed with learning to squat clean and squat snatch, I do it every rep.

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
11-21-2008, 06:05 PM
A long time ago, you told me to put marks on the floor so I can take note of foot position from pull to receiving position. I'm finally doing it every rep.

Awesome! Makes a difference right?

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Awesome! Makes a difference right?

Yes.

What I'm finding is that on heavier sets, I move my feet less. On lighter sets, I move my feet all over the place.

I don't know what that means at this stage. Perhaps, I'm not being explosive enough with the heavier weights? Perhaps, I'm being too explosive with the lighter weights?

At this stage, I'm operating in a comfort zone. I'm using weights that are moderate enought to tax me and light enough to drill myself to death. I'm all about drills in mastering technique. It's how I do well in my sport. Master the swing/stroke one part at a time. Then do it all together. Hopefully I'll get more fast twitch muscle stimulation/reaction out of this and do things faster and with more power? That's the goal anyways.

Thanks again for everything.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-23-2008, 05:58 PM

Was going to do my workout 3 and 4 combined - event and weight. But I had my cheat meal - a calzone and some cheesy breadsticks - before I lifted.

I started with yoga and roller and Burgener warm up.

Then went for snatch balances. Went 45x5, 75x5, 60kgx5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x3. On the 155 set, I had an issue with the excessive food intake from before. Bad idea. Real bad idea. Could make a really nice story, but likely not work,family safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5sg9KbGCU4

Bailed on the weight workout as it was pretty cold in the barn.

Came into the house and did some kettlebell snatches and swings. Shot for 2 minutes on one minute off for 6 rounds. Got nice and sweaty.

Kata w2 wo4 - 75%

Then went to the Huntington YMCA and did some more more yoga.

Then down to the only platform at a globogym in all of WV. They have rubber coated Ivanko weights and they don't allow members to use chalk. Took me a while to find a decent bar. When I finally found one, I couldn't get the collars to hold the weights on the bar. The sleeves were simply too small. So I had to switch to one of the really smooth bars (worn out) to get the collars to hold the weights.

STarted with drop snatches. Went barx5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 145x5, 155x5.

Then went to snatches. Did drills (tall, high hang, lower high hang, etc). Went 115x5, 135x5, 145x5, 155x3. 135x5, 95x5, 95x5.

Then did back squats. Did 225x5, 315x5, 405x5, 405x5, 315x5, 225x5. The 405x5x2 was very easy. I think I could have done 10 reps in one set high bar calves on hamstrings depth. I'm really getting a groove on these.

After that did RDLs. Went 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 420x5, 365x5, 315x5

After that did some dead stop Overhead Squats. My left knee was feeling wonky, so I cut these short and only did 3 sets of 8. The bar, 95 and 95.

After that did a few sets of lateral raises for kicks and giggles.

Then did some abs, yoga, and got home. Got some bell work planned for tomorrow morning assuming I can get up. I may end up in the woods instead.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-25-2008, 07:59 PM

Started with roller and yoga. Then it was off to the carnage.

Started with squat cleans. Did Tall cleans with 45x5, 75x5, 95x5, 115x5. The complexes with 135x5, and 165x5. The squat cleans with 185x5 and 215x5. I still think I'm pulling the bar too high. But I'm not jumping forward or backward so I'm cool with that.

Here's the footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xYLNhUbuVU

Then went to power cleans and push press. Started with 95x5, 135x5, 165x5. Then did my work sets 185x5, 205x5, 225x5. I was impressed with my speed on the power cleans - by far the fastest reverse curls I've ever done. I think? Still a lot of room for improvement.

Here's the footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ISmGZBAPzU

After that did some Front Squats. Really suffering with this movement the past few weeks. Did 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 275x5, 225x5, 135x5. I'm having a hard time keeping my torso rigid and keeping a good rack position. I'm going to lighten up the load on both the front and back squats the next few weeks and get my torso nice and erect.

After that did some seated front presses. Did 45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x5, 175x5.

After that did some conventional deadlifts. Did 135x3, 225x3, 315x3, 405x3, then 515x8, and 475x8. Then did 315x8. I was impressed that I had that much in the tank after doing what I had done in the previous movements. Coach Handy knows me well. I could have done the 515 for 8 again, I think. But I'm glad I didn't try.

Here's the footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPr4SgJSdnU

After that I did some abs, roller, and yoga and got back to work. Trial coming up soon. Lots of hours to work the next few weeks.

all the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
11-26-2008, 04:43 AM
The sheer tonnage you move in a workout is impressive. Everything is grooving in nicely for you.

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-02-2008, 11:27 AM
The sheer tonnage you move in a workout is impressive. Everything is grooving in nicely for you.

Thanks Derek. It's a learned thing that has accumulated over the past 26 years. A lot I was born with. But strength is a skill that can be learned. The movements are coming. Just need to be persistent.

Here's what I've been up to lately.

11.26.08 rolled and yoga. did some light kettlebell swing sets for 4 mintues one and 1 minute off for four rounds.

11.27.08 - went for a long 3 hour hike with the wife and did some event training. Cut two massive scarfs on a big white oak snag and beat on a lot of down stuff doing some underhand work.

11.28.08 four hours at the Carnegie Museum was pretty tiring. The girls enjoyed it.

Then I took them both to Pittsburgh Barbell for a session.

My youngest did Jacob's ladder, and beat on heavy bags as she got bored with barbell work pretty quick.

My eldest stuck with me most of the time and learned the power snatch and did some squats, pulls, and behind the neck push press. She too enjoyed jacob's ladder and did some kettlebell swings and hammered on some heavy bags.

I did the following after rolling and yoga.

w3wo1 65%.

Did power snatch to start. Did a bunch of drill work and filmed some sets with 50kg, 55kg, 60kg, and 70kg. 70kg felt real heavy today, so I decided to keep it light. I also had some achy knees and couldn't get into the hole well. I'm keeping my head down, so I'm going to work on being more up in the future.

I then went to behind the neck push press. I goofed up in my kilos to pound sto. I was to do 4sets of 4 with a top set of 65%. But I went a bit beyond that.

I went 50kgx4, 70kgx4, 100kgx4, 130kgx5. I somehow thought the 130kg was 110 and noted it felt really heavy. But just went with it.

Then did some back squats. Again the kilos were had to deal with. I think I did 120x4, 140x4, 160x4, 170x4. 140x4.

Then I did some snatch pulls. Did 100, 140, 160, 160, 140, and 100.

After that I did some very light overhead squats. My knees weren't into it. I did 40kgx4x6.

Then did some abs and kettlebell stuff.

The girls and I then did a yoga session and went back to the motel.

Here's some highlights from the session. Not my best work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buRKsf-kru0

It was really cool meeting Craig and Faith Wolfley. They are both great folk. I got to meet one of Coach Rege Becker's lifters - Jimmy. I can't remember his last name. He's been away from regular training for a few months now, but he's been on the platform before and hopes to do it again some day. I and my girls had great fun. We so want to do it again. My youngest really enjoyed Jacob's ladder and doing various stuff with Craig and Faith's 8 year old. It's awesome to find a gym that was kid friendly.

On 11.29.08 Shopping at Ikea. Nearly killed me. It was awesome.

On 11.30.08 did some yoga. Took the eldest to watch "Twilight." It was actually pretty good. I enjoyed it. Got back home and did some kettlebell work. Did 4 minutes of snatch with a 24kg switching hands at the minute mark, rested two minutes and did handle work. Then did another 4 minute set with the 24. Then did two mintues of handle work. Then did 1 minute each arm with the 24 and did 1 minute each arm with a 16kg. Then did 1 minute of handle work. Then repeated the last set twice more afterwards.

I was a sweaty mess. It was fun. The wife and kids thought I was attending a birthing class about half way through as my breathing patterns were pretty brutal.

12.1.08. Pre-trial federal court. Went no where. Very stressful day. Argued motions, positions, etc.

After the hearing, I took some me time and went for some beefcake.

Rolled forever as I was really worn out and mentally exhausted. Then did my yoga and mediated for a while.

Then went into my Kata w3wo2 65%.

Started with squat clean drills 45x4, 75x4, 95x4, 115x4, 135x4, 165x4, 185x4, and 205x4. Kept on getting calls during my sets. So I was a little bit distracted. I tweaked my right adductor a bit, but it didn't slow me down much. I worked on getting my spine in a neutral position and keeping my head up to try and avoid bending my arms too soon on the pull. I sort of think I may have tweaked my adductor because of recent switch to the duck pulling stance, but I think I pitched forward and rocked to one side on one of the cleans. but I'm not certain. Either way, I'm going to nurse it and train around it.

Here's some footage from this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNwVhUJ74no

After that did some push presses. went 95x4, 135x4, 185x4, 205x4.

After that did some front squats. did 135x4, 225x4, 275x4, 275x4, 205x4, 205x4. Worked on keeping my torso nice and erect and keeping a good neutral spine.

After that did some Clean Pulls. Went 205x4, 315x4, 345x4, 345x4, 315x4.

Here some footage of the pulls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P9AmImwgww

After that did 4 sets of 8 with a 24kg press.

After that did some abs, more yoga, more roller, and got back to work.

12.2.08 - nursing my groin. It's not too sore, but I can feel it. I'm going to ice it, EMS-it, and roll it the next few days to see how I progress. Weird that it doesn't hurt coming out of the hole, but I can feel it going into the hole.

I hope to do another extended kettebell set tonight. Should be wicked fun.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Here's what I've been up to lately.

12.3.08 w3 wo 4 65%.

Still nursing the sore adductor. Did some yoga and foam roller to start.

Then went and did 4 sets on the hammer strength adductor machine to warm up the sore muscle.

Then went to Drop snatches. I think I'm onto something from a smoothness and quickness standpoint in not moving my feet during my drops and my pulls. I think I'm getting more fluid and quicker. Could be wrong?

Did 45x4, 75x4, 95x4, 115x4, 135x4

Then did some box snatch drills 95x4, 115x4. Then some box snatches 135x4, 135x4.

Then did some back squats: 135x4, 245x4, 295x4, 315x4, 245x4.

Then did some RDLs. - 135x4, 225x4, 335x4. 335x4. 225x4/

Then did some dead stop OHS off a box to get myself nice and deep into the hole. I won't do these off a box anymore as Couch has already given me hell for it.

Did 95x6, 135x6, 155x6, and 135x6.

After that did some abs.

here's some highlights from the session:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGPKJBpmWVk&feature=channel_page

12.4.08. Kata w3 wo6 - skipped my event and bell session because of kettlebel comp on Saturday.

Didn't bring the camera. So no video from this session. Too bad really. Got really insane.

Started with Squat Cleans. Did Barx4, 75x4, 95x4, 115x4, 135x4, 165x4, and 185x4.

Then did proper power cleans and push press from rack. Did 95x4, 135x4, 185x4, 205x4.

Then did front squats. Did 135x4, 225x4, 275x4, 275x4, 225x4.

Then did seated BB presses: did 95x4, 135x4, 155x4, 165x4, 165x4.

Then did rack pulls from just at knee height. Hadn't done this for well over 18 months, so I played it by ear and listened to my body. Did first three sets with a violent shrug at the top. Started out with three plates (four 55 pounders (25kilos), two 45s) x3, four platesx3, 5 plates x3, 6 platesx3. Then I dropped the shurg. Did 7 platesx3, 8 platesx3, then the final set was 9 plates x3 - that was al the weight I could fit on the bar. First two reps were nothing. I felt the third rep. I used straps, but I didn't have a belt on.

My PR on this movement was 935 for single over two years ago helping Phil get ready for the Arnold Hummer Deadlift. By my counts I did 905 for 3 and the last rep felt like the single I did two years ago. I think I might be getting stronger?

After that did some abs.

12.5.08. Starting feeling really sick. Stayed home from work. Did nothing.

12.6.08. Feeling sicker, but did the kettlebell comp anyway. Dumb move on my part. Ate a lot and did nothing.

I managed to get 184 snatches with a 24kg in ten minutes. Then did 39 LCCJ before my lungs told me to go to hell. Couldnt' stop coughing or breathing, so I bailed 4 minutes into the LCCJ set.

Here's part of the snatches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y9MsMw_lsA&feature=channel_page

When I got home, I went straight to bed. Bad move doing this. Still continued to eat a lot.

12.7.08 Bed ridden with sinus/lung infection. Ate a lot and did nothing.

12.8.08 Bed ridden with sinus/lung infection

12.9.08 actually got to work, but couldn't do anything. Should have stayed home, but starting to feel better. Did some handle work, yoga, and tai chi. Continued to eat a lot.

12.10.08. Decided to repeat my previous weeks KATA because of the adductor strain and the sickness. Finally starting to eat normal.

Still not feeling 100%, but I have to workout.

Started with Snatches. Did Drills with Barx4, then 75x4, 95x4.

then did full snatches with 115x4 and 135x4.

Then did Push presses. barx4, 95x4, 135x4, 165x4, 185x4.

Then did squats: 135x4, 225x4, 315x4, 315x4, 275x4.

Then did snatch pulls - 185x4, 205x4, 255x5, 275x4. In this instance, I was working more on the first pull than the second. I feel I'm losing something by not staying rigid and over the bar during the first pull.

Then did OHS - 95x6, 135x6, 165x6, 135x6

Then did some abs.

here's the highlights from the session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjEL1ovzpN0&feature=channel_page

12.11.08. Had the bright idea to go get a dexascan. I weighed 266 on the scales and the scan, which is suppossed to be the most accurate in all the bodyfat testing scans, had me at 23%. Very humbling. I had been very proud of the progress I've made over the past year in as much as my Tanita scales has me at 5% less than it did this time last year. AS such, I must have been a really Fat cow this time last year. Now I'm just a fat cow. In my defense, I had eaten myself into oblivian the past week from being sick. But I'm still a cow. Just a smaller cow since this time last year.

After that went to crossfit WV for a session with Jeremy.

This was w3wo2 repeat of 65%.

Started out with yoga. NO roller. so took it easy.

Did squat cleans. Started with tall/drills. did barx4, 75x4, 95x4. Then started pulling from the floor 135x4, 165x4, 185x4, 205x4, 225x4.

Then did strict presses. Did barx4, 95x4, 135x4, 185x2, 205x1, 220x1, 230x1, 240x1, then 135x4. That 240 was a PR, it wasn't that hard.

Then did Front squats. Did 135x4, 225x4, 295x4, 315x4, 330x4. This was the best my front squats have felt in a long time. I was very pleased with how they looked.

Then did Clean pulls. did 225x4, 315x4, 365x4, 405x4. 365x4. Again working on the first pull.

Then did some kb presses. 24x6, 32x6, 32x6, 32x6, 24x6.

Here's some highilghts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaH3T0yPhBY&feature=channel_page

Skipped abs and took the wifey on a date.

12.12.08. Didn't get to train. Had my firm's party and a ton of work to do.

12.13.08 Got a little stupid today. Girls were at Granny's so I got to go to the gym before picking them up.

Started out with yoga and long session of rolling.

Did some snatch balances. 45x4, 75x4, 95x4, 115x4, 135x4, and 165x4.

Then did some snatch drills. 95x4, 115x4. Then some snatches 135x4, 165x4.

Then did some back squats. 135x4, 225x4, 315x4, 365x4, 315x4, 225x4.

Then did some RDLs. Did 135x4, 225x4, 315x4, 365x4, 315x4.

Then did some Overhead Squats dead stop. Couldn't go where I wanted to on these as my knees were starting to feel creeky. Did 95x6, 135x6, 185x3, 205x1, 135x6,

After that did some abs.

After that did some rounds of kettlebel snatches and handle work.

Here's some highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mHMwS6bU9Q&feature=channel_page

Later that night, still feeling really fat form the dexascan, I did another round of bell work with handles. My left wrist was sore, so I only did swings and Long cycle clean and press. Did about 8 rounds all together. Nice sweaty mess.

12.14.08. Body said no more pie. Needed a break. Did a bunch of handle work and some tai chi. First time I've done a lot of silk reaming in months. Felt great.

Hoping to do some event work tonight. We'll see what happens.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-16-2008, 11:48 AM
here's what I did yesterday.

It was the last workout before my week of hell begins. That is week four of my KATA - 80%. We're gonna see some big poundages moving around this week.

Anyway, here's w3wo6 repeat of 65%.

Then went to squat cleans. Did drills with 45x4, 75x4, 95x4, and 115x4. Then did squat cleans with 135x4, 165x4, 185x4, and 215x4.

After that, I did power cleans and push presses. I often joke and call these "reverse power curls and knee bend heaves" but I actually am starting to do these right. I was very pleased with the crispness of the cleans. However, I'm starting to notice something that's bugging me. I keep my elbows out, until I get to the second pull. For some reason, I lose my good elbow/lat flex as soon as the bar gets over my knees. This is something I need to work on to further my the development of speed. I think.

Anyway, I did 95x4, 135x4, 165x4, 185x4, and 215x4.

After that I had my best front squat session I've had in months. I went 135x4, 245x4, 315x3, 315x4, 315x5. It was sorta weird as I was to do the 315 for 4 the first set. But during the third rep, the bar sort of slide out of the rack and I had to rush the weigh. Obviously, I didn't feel comfortable going for the fourth rep. The next set, I banged out 4 like it was nothing. Then I decided to do another set, so I did 5 and purposely stopped myself because I think I could have kept going. It was refreshing to feel it.

After that I did seated barbell presses. Did 45x4, 95x4, 135x4, 165x4, 175x4, 165x4.

After that I did my conventional deadlifts with an overhand grip. Did 135x6, 225x3, 315x3, 405x3, 455x6, 485x6.

here's the highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1M79YtGi4U&feature=channel_page

After that I did some abs, rolled, and went about my business.

It was a good session. I start the heavy stuff tomorrow. Doing a FI and some event work tonight if all goes well. May have to go shopping again and express an opinion. Could be rough.

all the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-18-2008, 06:35 AM
12.17.08 Kata w4wo1 80%

Started out with yoga and roller. Gotten into some more stretches and positions thanks to refers to Sonnon's stretching. Doing some z health with my feet and ankles as well.

Then started with snatches. Did drills with 45x3, 75x3, 95x3, 115x3. Then did full reps with 135x3, 165x3, then did top set of 185 - missed two and got 3rd, power snatched first, crappy snatched the second, and bounced the third off my hips and didn't do it. Just need to keep practicing at weights like this to get more comfortable with it. Strength's there, speed is there, just got to catch it right. I think I need to grip the bar harder when I've got it over head (something I figured out OHS later in the workout).

Clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyX88vqp0VM&feature=channel_page

After that did Push press behind the neck. Did 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 205x3, 235x3, 255x3, 275x3.

After that did back squats. 135x6, 225x6, 315x6, 405x6. I'm certain I'm cursing during the video. It was nice and buddha like.

After that did snatch pulls. 135x6, 205x6, 235x6, 255x6. 265x6. I tried to work on keeping my arms straight, lats forward, and shoulders over the bar on the second pull.

Clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Llei8WuLdc&feature=channel_page

After that did some OHS. Did 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x4 and last 5th, and 135x5. I found that when I really squeezed the bar hard I felt wicked strong overhead. This is something I think I should do in my other lifts as I have a tendency to grip the bar really slack when I get close to lock out.

clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R9gAem_jOI&feature=channel_page

After that did some abs.

It was rough. But doable. We'll see after today.

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-25-2008, 04:03 PM
No snow here, it's been raining like a muther. It actually got up to about 60 today. If I can gather the gumption, I'm going to go some event work tonight but I Tore my hands up pretty good on the cleans today and that tells me I need to start chopping more.

12.18.08 KATA w4wo2 80%

Little sore from the previous day. The back squats nearly got me.

Started out with roller and yoga. Did my workout at Crossfit WV. Did some coaching with some of the folk there. Always fun.

Did squat cleans. Did Barx3, 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 205x3, 235x3, 235x3, 235x3.

Then did some push presses. Did 45x3, 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 205x3, 235x3, 255xalmost 3, 205x3

Here's some footage from those two exercises:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nihLD0yzNC4&feature=channel_page

After that did some Front Squats that nearly killed me. Did 135x6, 225x6, 275x6, 225x6.

Then did some clean pulls that were wicked hard. Did 225x6, 315x6, 335x6, 355x6.

Then did seven sets of 5 with 32kg on presses. Pretty easy.

Then did some abs and more yoga.

12.19.08 - Did a bunch of kettlebell work. Alternated between bell work with a 12kb and my axe handle technique work for about 25 minutes. Heart Rate would have stayed about 120 to 130 BPM the entire time. Actually work a blister under my ring finger on both hands. Got to work on dropping the bell better to avoid this in the future.

12.20.08 - Did nothing other than taking a hike with the dogs. Body was completely warn out after the first days at 80%

12.21.08 - trained at home. Sorta cold. But not too bad.

Did yoga and roller. Lots of roller as I was still sorta sore from the previous days.

Started with Snatch Balances. Went 45x3, 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 165x3, 185x3, 205x3. I tried 225, but missed and didn't retry it. The 205 for 3 was a PR for me on this movement. I tried the 225 just to see if it was possible. Tons of strength, just need to work on the technical isses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xDgdGpUW30&feature=channel_page

Moved into the snatch next. Went 115x3, 135x3, 145x3, 155x3, 165x3, 175x3 misses, 175x3 got, 135x3. Started with drills, then did full squat snatches. Still don't think I'm pulling hard enough. I know it's a fine line. But I'll find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NucFvEDpPr0&feature=channel_page

Next, moved onto squat: 135x6, 225x6, 315x6, 405x6.

Then moved onto RDLs. Did 135x6, 225x6, 316x6, 415x6

Then did some dead stop Overhead Squats off my jerk boxes. As it turns out 50", which is about chest height is too high for me on this. Despite acknowledging this after watching the video, I'm still pleased to move the weights I moved in the manner I moved them.

Went 95x5, 135x5, 165x6, 185x5, 205x5, 260x3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfnEgPfTQuY&feature=channel_page

after that did some abs, rolled, and enjoyed the evening.

12.22.08 - taught a weighlifting class at Crossfit WV. did a bunch of bell work to warm up. Didn't do any handle work, so sorta was lazy. Did a bunch of demos with presses, deads, and snatches. Nothing heavy, just technical demonstration. It was a lot of fun.

12.23.08 - lots of handle work and some rolling. And lots of eating.

12.24.08 - Just lots of eating and Christmas with the little ones. Great time.

12.25.08 - surprising weighed 254 on the scales of death. Bodyfat was high, so I won't talk about it right now. Lower than the dexascan, but still higher than previous readings.

Did a lot of yoga and roller.

Started with squat cleans. Did 45x3, 95x3, 135x3 185x3, 205x3, 250x3 (PR for squat cleans), 235x3

Then did power cleans into push presses. Did 45x3, 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 210x3, 245x3, 210x3

Here's the highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_CfGAT1LoE&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6J9xgtUjo0&feature=channel_page

After that did some front squats: 135x6, 225x6, 275x6 (took two rackings to get this - just not strong today on this movement) 225x6.

Seated Press: Didn't have a back support so I sat on two boxes. Did 95x6, 135x6, 165x6. Then I put 195 on the bar, and did it once and thought my energy was better served elsewhere. STripped it down to 135 and did 6 more reps.

After that did some Sumo deadlifts. Went 135x5, 255x5, 345x5, 435x5, 525x5, and 615 for 9 (a PR by 2 reps).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T4DOM0Seus&feature=channel_page

After that did some abs, and rolled like a muther.

I'd like to chop some tonight, but hands are pretty torn up.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Here's what I've been up to

On Christmas evening - I managed to do a ton of underhand drills and single one big 22" pine with a hard wood saw (not easy given my fatigued state)

12.26.08 - slacker. Pretty sore from the hades the day before. Did roll a lot and did some swings to loosen. Tons of handle work.

12.27.08 - split wood for two hours. Then cut some underhands. Likely 250 to 300 hits in the session. Kristy joined me for the entire foray. It was really fun.

Did 33 minutes of kettebell work mixed with my handle technique work.

12.28.08 - Kata w5wo1 75%

Started with Roller and yoga. The girls joined me. Kiara did a ton of squats, power snatches, OHS, and push presses. She's also painfully learning front squats.

Me I started with Snatches. Did drills with Bar, 75, and 95. Then did 115x5, 135x5, 160x5, 170x5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0iWUHDv1T0&feature=channel_page

My second pull needs work. Lots of work.

Then did Push Press Behind the Neck: 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x5, 240x5

Then did Squats: 135x4, 225x4, 315x4, 365x4, 315x4, 315x4

Then did snatch pulls: 135x4, 205x4, 255x4, 265x4, 275x4, 305x4

Then did some OHS: 95x8, 145x8, 185x8, 225x3, 145x8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4IqpHFv4jk&feature=channel_page

Then did some abs, rolled, and more yoga.

Then went to squat cleans: 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x5, 235x5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxCOu6Lyqs&feature=channel_page

Still crappy second pull. Got to do some drill this into me to keep my elbows out and my shoulders forward.

Then did some push presses. These were hard as all heck as I took a PP BTH to the spine the day before. Did 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x5, 235x5.

Then did front squats: Did 135x4, 225x4, 275x4, 285x4, 295x4, 305x4, 225x4

Then did clean pulls: Did 135x4, 225x4, 315x4, 365x4, 405x4, 315x4

Then did 4 sets of 8 with a 24kg kb press

Then did some abs:

Nothing thus far today: hope to do some event and some kettlebell work. But not sure. Food and sleep is tempting.

all the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-05-2009, 09:56 AM
I left off on December 30, 2008. I did do some extended Bell sets and handle work late in the evening.

On 12.31.08.

During the lunch hour, I got some beefcake. Started with Yoga and Roller.

After that Started with Snatch Balances. Went 45x4, 95x4, 115x4, 135x4, 165x4, 185x4, 185x4.

After that did some snatch drills and snatches. 95x4, 115x4, 135x4, 145x4, 155x4. I was working on keeping my arms straighter for longer. Keeping my elbows turned out. I was actually quick impressed with how quick I was going into the hole with some of the weights. Slowly but surely, I think I'm getting quicker.

After that, did back squats. Went 135x4, 225x4, 315x4, 365x4, 315x4, 315x4.

After that did RDLs: went 135x4, 225x4, 315x4, 315x4, 315x4, 315x4.

here's some highlights of the above:

After that did some dead stop overheads. 95x8, 135x8, 185x8, 135x8. These were real deep. I literally had to shoe horn myself under the weight before standing up with it.

After that did some abs, yoga, and got back to work.

That evening, Kiara and I went over to the barn in the evening. She had an awesome workout. She did a bunch of overhead presses, power snatches, squats, and block jerks. I did some drill work in the springboard and stock saw. I ran some chip lines in the underhand. Kiara ended up pulling a few sets of conventional deads with her bodyweight for sets of 10. She's a very strong 11 year old girl. She's doing the Pittsburgh Open in a few weeks and she has some goals in mind.

1.1.09. Went to crossfit WV and coached several folk through their CF Total day - squat, press, and deadlift. I played with some lighter weights giving some of the newer members some tips on technique in all three lifts. I did pull 445 and 465 to make sure the weights would stay on the bar as one of the members was getting ready to set a PR in the dead. We don't have many cast iron plates at this facility - but a ton of bumpers - so once the bar gets over 405, it takes some ingenuity to make sure the weights are going to stay on the bar.

That evening. Did some handle work and some sets of 10 with the bells. I just didn't have enough in me to do a full bell workout.

1.2.08 Kata w5wo6 75%

Then went to squat cleans. Went 45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 215x5.

Then went to power clean and push press. Went 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 215x5.

Here's footage of the top sets:

Again, I was doing my best to keep my elbows straight at the top of the second pull. I think I'm doing a better job, but I have a ways to go. Buddha gave me a friendly wave on the 5th rep in the power clean and press.

After that did some front squats. Went 135x4, 225x4, 275x4, 295x4, 315x2, 315x2, 225x4. I could have done 4 with the 315, but I broke it up into 2 separate sets with about 15 seconds rest from rack to resquatting.

After that did some seated press. Went 95x4, 135x4, 165x4, 185x4, 165x4, 135x4.

Then did some conventional deadlifts. Decided to keep it light. I also kept an overgrip with both hands and worked on keeping my wrists back, elbows out and straight and shoulders over the bar. It was sort of a RDL with a lower hip position at the start. Did 135x8, 225x8, 315x8, 405x8.

After that did some abs.

1.3.08. The misses and I began installing laminent hard wood floors in Kiara's room. We put in a good 5 to 6 hours. We used all my kettlebells to hold everything in place. So I had to hand truck those beauties from the barn to the upstairs. That wasn't easy.

That evening, I did a bunch of event work. 3 singles (which all sucked - using a hardwood shark in dry pine; but I'm not quitting until that dry wood is gone), 2 standings (about 75 to 100 hits total), and one huge underhand (over 100 hits). Also did a bunch of tree drills with the boards. I need to install a new tree.

I'm very pleased at how well I'm moving in the standing and underhand. Especially the underhand. I honestly think I have more axe speed.
Here's some highlights.

I also did some box jumps at the end. First box was 33" and the second box was 37". I need to do more of these at the end of event work.

1.4.09 another five hours of laminent hard floor installation. Could barely stand up at the end of the day.

1.5.09. Worked out with Kristy for the first time in a while and it was an awesome session.

Kata w5repeatwo1 65%. I'm doing a light week to get back on track with the event work and the bell work. Moreover, I really want to work to get my shoulder's over the bar better.

Started out with Snatches. Did drill work. Did 2 tall, 2 off a 12" box, and 2 full. Went 45x6, 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, 135x6, 145x6.

Then did some snatch grip push press behind the neck. Went 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x5.

Then did some back squats. Went 135x5, 225x5, 315x3x5.

Then did some snatch pulls: went 135x5, 205x5, 235x3x5.

I recorded the snatches and the snatch pulls. I'll youtube those tonight.

After that did some OHS. I'm getting pretty confident with this movement. I went 95x8, 135x8, 165x8, 135x8.

After that did some abs, roller and yoga.

I'd like to do some event work tonight if I'm not doing trim work. But we'll see.

All the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
It's amazing how sore you can be after doing something like laying floor for two days straight. :D

I overdid a lot of stuff over the holidays eating, drinking, working out, working around the house and I am definitely feeling it this week. I popped in a recovery week just to get back to normal.

Nice training OHS numbers are moving really fast.

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Derek,
WERD!!!!

To everything you've said. :D

And yes, i'm very pleased at how my OHS are going. Bodyweight here I come!!!! Gawd, i'm such a cow.

All the best,
Arden

It's amazing how sore you can be after doing something like laying floor for two days straight. :D

I overdid a lot of stuff over the holidays eating, drinking, working out, working around the house and I am definitely feeling it this week. I popped in a recovery week just to get back to normal.

Nice training OHS numbers are moving really fast.

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Here's the footage from my 1.5. kata.
snach drills with 95, 115, 135, and 145

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxJf7W6QO38&feature=channel_page

Then some snatch pulls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKOnXrO39ig&feature=channel_page

I'm working real hard to keep my elbows out and my shoulders over the bar in both clips. When I did the snatch pulls in the second clip, I honestly wasn't trying to pull with my arms - I was thinking explode and elbows up.

1.6.09. Kata w5repeatwo2 - I'm doing a 65% week as I've been feeling beat up recently.

Started with Roller and Yoga in the house. Freakin chilly in the barn.

Then went to clean drills - did tall, box, then from floor. 45x6, 95x6, 145x6, 185x6, 205x4 I think.

I was working again on getting my elbows out and my shoulders over the bar. I hope I'm getting a little better?

I know i'm still pulling the weight way too high. I'm not sure how to correct that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2e5EkXx6K8&feature=channel_page

After that I did some push presses. Went 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x5. Then played with some jerks. Did 205x5, 235x2, recorded 260 for 2 (and they sucked. I can't lock out my right arm at all). The went back down to 205 and did a few more singles with little rest between them. Didn't aggravate my patella tendon so I was cool with it.

Then did some front squats. And I had no go at all. Went 135x5, 225x5, 275x5 and saw Buddha. Put the bar on the jerk boxes and kept on throwing plates on until I ran out of room. I must have done about five or six sets of shallow front squats off the box. the heaviest one was 445 for 3. I did it more to work on my rack position.

After that, did some clean pulls. I did them off the box to again work on shoulders over the bar and straight arms. Went 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 315x5, 315x5.

Here's some highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4PX19szauA&feature=channel_page

After that did some kettebell presses 4x8 with a 24 with very little rest between sets.

Then did some abs, roller, and more yoga.

Ever since I started really concentrating on getting my elbows out, I'm getting some wicked stiffness in the rhomboid/trap/lat tie in the center of the back. I guess I'm using something new?

Nothing thus far today, but I imagine that Kiara will want to workout when we get home. I'll try and chop some then.

All the best,
Arden

Emily Mattes
01-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey Arden, that's some great work! I'm noticing during those cleans and snatches your bar path swings out a little bit. Maybe focus on really keeping the bar close to the body? I'm still working on learning to notice technique details so it is hard for me to tell exactly why that might be happening, though with the snatches it looks like you're keeping your arms locked through the entirety of the motion, and after the second pull you want to let them bend a little just to keep the bar close to your body before locking out underneath.

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-08-2009, 05:51 AM
Hey Arden, that's some great work! I'm noticing during those cleans and snatches your bar path swings out a little bit. Maybe focus on really keeping the bar close to the body? I'm still working on learning to notice technique details so it is hard for me to tell exactly why that might be happening, though with the snatches it looks like you're keeping your arms locked through the entirety of the motion, and after the second pull you want to let them bend a little just to keep the bar close to your body before locking out underneath.

Emily,
Very good catch. I've been trying hard to stay over the bar and keep it close to me the past two weeks. My goal over the past 8 workouts was to improve my arm and elbow position at the top of the second pull. I'm getting better, but I've got a very very long way to go. The next step for me is exactly as you've pointed out - high elbows.

I just saw an awesome demonstration on youtube that depicts exactly what you're talking about and what I need to work on next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J737WlAwv-o

I've not met this fellow, but he's trained at one of the East Coast Gold Affiliate's for some time and obviously knows what he's talking about.

Thanks so much for the comments. I'm going to work on high elbows form scarecrow position tomorrow (along with Tall, hang, and from the floor) as you've suggested.

all the best,
Arden

Adam Gagliardi
01-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Arden---thats pretty funny...i train with Manny, guy in video, ocasionally... he used to come out and mess around with strongman and he would help us with the oly lifts. good dude

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Adam, What's Manny's last name? Doesn't he train primarily at one of the East Coast Gold satelites near Gathersburg, MD?

Here's what I've been into:

1.9.09 - kata w5repeat wo4 65%

Started with roller and yoga. Pretty emotional day. Lots going on with the girls and at work. Actually left the office because I didn't want to blow up. Instead I went for some beefcake.

Started with snatches. Did a bunch of "Scarecrows" I picked up from a youtube video of a guy named Manny who works out at the East Coast Gold satelites near Gathersburg MD. Did a ton of them before going into my workout.

Started out with snatch balances. Did 45x5, 75x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5 (had dump a few reps, but didn't stop until I got 5 in).

Then went to my snatches. Went 95x5, 115x5. tweaked something in my left knee, it's still sore today, so I stopped. It was weird. dynamic lifts bugged it, but static lifts did not.

Then went to Back Squats. Went 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 335x5, 345x5, 315x5. Knee didn't bug me at all.

Then did RDLs. Went 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x5, 365x5, 315x5, 225x5

Then did Deadstop OHS. Went 95x8, 135x8, 185x3 (recorded this one), and 135x8

Then did abs

Should have link to Youtube soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVkS8qo-wKs&feature=channel_page

1.10.09 Day with the girls. Took the big one to a sleep over and took the little one to a go-kart race track.

When we got home, I got my Coach Handy Hauer Fat Incenerator(tm) on.

Started with a 16kg snatch - did 3 min L, then 3 min R
Then did one minute of handle work.
Then did 16kg snatch- 2 min L, then 2 min R.
Then did 16 kg snatch - 1 min L, then 1 min R
Then did 12kg snatch - 2 min L, then 2 min R
Then did 12kg snatch - 2 min L, then 2 min R
Then didi 16kg LCCJ - 2 min L, then 2 min R
then did one minute of handle work.
Then did 16kg LCCJ - 1 min L, then 1 min R
Then did 12kg LCCJ - 2 min L, then 2 min R
then did one minute of handle work.
Then did 12kg LCCJ - 1 min L, then 1 min R.
Then did one mintue of handle work.
Then did 28kg 2 hand swing for 1 min.
Then staggered around for a minute.
Then did 24kg 2 hand swing for 1 min.
Then nearly passed out.
Then did 16kg 2 hand swing for 1 min.
Then made out Buddha in the background.
Then did 12kg 2 hand swing for 1 min.
Then laid on the floor for a while before typing this.

Nice. That's the format I've been folllwing for my FI's. Except I wasn't using a 16, I was using my 12. This one was a lot harder.

all the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Forgot to add my event work from 1.8.09.

It was high volume with one of my best friends, Chris Bradshaw (he's a little guy, about 6'3" 305).

Underhand was at a click of 350 to 400 hits. Standing was about the same. Single was in excess of 125 strokes. Did a bunch of tree drills as well. Session lasted about 3 hours. Pretty messed up when we got done.

Drank 1/2 a "Spike" energy drink from GNC. Good lord those things are strong.

here's some highlights from the session:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znGwKFUGHm4&feature=channel_page

I'm very pleased with how everything is going this time of year. I'm at about 70% speed and the swings and strokes are looking great. All the olympic lifting has, IMO, added a little bit of extra quickness to my swings/strokes. We'll know for certain when the big shows come in June.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-13-2009, 12:38 PM
1.11.09 Was going to train, but knee/shin was still bugging me a bit. Instead I went to the barn and did drill work with Kiara while she did 5x5 on presses, squats, and deads. She did a wonderful job on the squats. I was wicked impressed with her depth, back angle, and control. Her top set of 5 in the deads was 135 and she made it look easy. She pulled 165 which I may youtube later. She wanted "more weight" on it, but I am keeping her light for another few years until she grows a bit more.

My drill work included scarecrows, lots of Burgenger stuff, and tall cleans and snatches with the bar. Knee/shin didn't bug me. But I wanted to take it easy.

1.12.08 - Kata w5repeat wo6

Started with roller, and yoga. My knee issue is really a calf issue. Tried rolling it to no avail. Got the bright idea to take an axe handle to it, a la the stick, and I swear someone performed an exorcism on me. It was awesome. Saw the white light and stars and I'm certain some turrets was involved that I don't remember.

After that went to drill work. Worked on scarecrows with a clean grip - pulled to navel height, thought high elbows and dropped under. Did a lot of them.

Forgot my camera, so no footage from today.

Did squat cleans. Went 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5. I worked on jumping and getting my head behind my hips. What I found was that I was pulling the bar a lot higher and a lot more explosively. As a result, I was not receiving the bar well. I think the term is "crashing." I didn't notice it so much on the 185 set. But I did on the 225 set. To be frank, the combination of jumping, which I have avoid for a while to learn control, and the lean back added A LOT to my explosiveness. I'm looking forward to trying it with my snatches.

After that did muscle cleans and push presses. Went 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 235x5. That 235 was pretty hard. The last two cleans were power cleans as I bent my knees.

After that did front squats. 135x3, 225x3, 275x3, 295x3, 315x3, 275x3.

After that did some seated BB presses. Went 95x5, 135x5, 165x6, 180x5, 165x5.

After that did some below knee rack pulls working on that lean back/jump. It was nice. Went 245x5, 335x5, 435x5, and 525x3. Got the 435 about 3" above my navel. And got the 525 about an 11" above my navel. I wish I had the camera as I felt as though I was moving pretty fast.

After that did some abs.

Got my cane that night and continued my work on the calf/knee. Need another session with it tonight.

all the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-15-2009, 11:38 AM
1.13.08 Kata w5repeatwo7 FI/handle work at Kristy's work.

Went to Kristy's work and we did a kettlebell circuit. I used a 16 and she used an 8.

Did the following:
3 minute snatch R
3 minute snatch L
1 minute of handle work.
2 minute snatch R
2 minute snatch L
1 minute of handle work.
1 minute of Snatch R
1 minute of snatch L
1 minute of handle work.
without stopping then did 5 rounds of:
1 minute of LCCJ R
1 minute of LCCJ L
1 minute of handle work.

At the end, got stupid. Kristy did 1 minuteR/1 minute L turkish Gets up while I did windmills. Those were really really sucky.

Thought about event training when I got home but was wicked hungry. Once I ate, it was over.

1.14.08 Kata W6wo1 80%.

I was actually sorta nervous going into this session. Was really wanting to work on getting over the bar and thinking high elbows when I was going into the third pull.

Started with yoga and lots of roller. Even used the axe handle on my calf again. It didn't conjure evil spirts as it had a few days before.

Started with snatch drills. Did a lot of bar drills and scarecrows (thinking high elbows). Then did a set of scarecrows with 75. Then did snatch drills with 95, 115. Everything was looking pretty good until i started pulling off the floor. 135 was next and it sucked. I was bending my elbows before I was fully extended and I couldn't control it. I then sprained my left wrist on the first rep with 165. I got mad and simply power snatched them after that. Power snatches don't affect my wrist at all. I simply grip it and rip it. I then set a PR on 185 which I did for less than 5 stellar power snatches. Very Very frustrating.

My thought is I need to do all my sets in the following sequence (once my wrist heals): tall, high hang, lower high hang, etc. It's only when I pull from the floor that I bend my elbows prematurely. It's very frustrating.

Here's the footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3UHhuh06pQ&feature=channel_page

Wrist was feeling tweaked but only when I did full squat snatches. It's sore today, but it will be okay in a few days.

After that did snatch grip push press behind the neck. 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 265x5 these were really easy. I guess it had to do with me being mad.

After that did back squat: went 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x5, 405x5, 315x5 . same as previous exercise. I was still mad.

After that did some snatch grip pulls working on trying to get high elbows at the top of the pull and not like I was when I was snatching earlier. Went 135x5, 205x5, 235x3, 255x3, 285x3.

After that did some OHS: went 95x8, 135x8, 165x8, 205x3, 135x8.

I'm going to start pausing more at the top of the PPBTN's and at the bottom of the OHS to help me with stability in the snatch.

here's some highlights of the heavier stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goxfM_1A_Jw&feature=channel_page

after that did some abs.

Then rolled, yoga and went to work.

1.15.09 - more kettlebell mayhem planned at the wife's work. Gotta pack for this carnage this weekend.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-24-2009, 07:33 PM
1.16.09 Kata w5wo2 80%

rolled, yoga, and worked on a lot of flexibiity and cns stuff.

Then went into power cleans. Still nursing the sore left wrist, so cut my reps down and ran with it. program called for squat cleans, but did power cleans. Did muscle cleans up to the top set. Did drills with the bar. Then went 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 205x3, 235x3, 255x3.

After that did strict press: 95x5, 135x3, 165x2, 185x1, 205x1, 135x3. wrapped the wrist and it helped a little.

Then did front squats. I could not hold onto the bar in the rack position. Wrist killed me. So I took some old bodybuilding straps, and wrapped them around the bar and held onto them with my front delts and elbows high. It wasn't near as stable as a proper rack, but better than "cross your heart."

Went 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 285x3, 255x5, 225x5.

Then did clean pulls. Sorta disappointed because I couldn't move the weights I had on my program for the day. Did 135x5, 245x5, 315x5, 405x3, 445x3, 485x3, and 315x5.

Here's some less than stellar clips from the session:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfIqN_6de5k

1.17.09 Tons of event training in the cold of NC. Over a 1000 hits in the underhand and standing and 200 strokes in the single. It was awesome. My hands were swollen. I really feel as though all the dynamic movements has increased my axe speed. I'm very pleased with how my underhand and single hand sawing have improved. Just gotta keep it going.

1.18.09 More event training. Approximately 300 hits. No sawing. Hand no go this day. Got a lot of great coaching from Sling for the weekend. Thanks so much. When I got home I rolled, sticked and caned for about two hours.

1.19.09 Kata w6wo4 80%

Lots and yoga and roller.

Started with Snatch Balance. Still nursing the sore left wrist. Wrapped it with a 1/2 long double gold line knee wrap around it and then put on my sweat band. Seemed to help quite a bit. Went 45x5, 75x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 165x3. Found out as long as grip the bar really tight, the wrist doesn't bother me.

Then went to box snatches. I pulled off the box as I'm really starting to notice I was not finishing my pulls. Did 95x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 135x3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtVxVsgsGxY

Then did some back squats: Went 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x5, 420x5, 315x5.
Then did RDLs: 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x5, 445x5, 315x5
Then Overhead Squats Dead Stop: 95x5, 135x5, 185x4, 135x8
Then Ring Push ups 4 sets of 10.

Here's the top sets of the last three movements"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xylB38o50lk

Then did abs.

1.20.09. Didn't do anything physical. Pretty tanked after the weekend and session from day before. Rolled, caned, and sticked a lot. And ate until I was nearly comatose.

1.21.09. Kata w6wo6 80%

Still sore in the wrist, but it's getting better. Kept on wrapping it with the old knee wrap. Seems to help.

The into squat cleans: 45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 205x3, 235x3, 260x2. The 260 was a PR for squat cleans. I should have gone for three, but the wrist said no. I tried really hard to slow down the first pull so I could time my second pull better. It's getting better, but I'm still not fully extending before reefing on the bar. Long way to go.

Then did Muscle Cleans into push press: went 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 205x3, 235x3

After that did Front squats - wrist still limiting factor: Went 135x5, 225x5, 275x3, 315x2, 275x3, 225x5, 225x5

After that did seated press: 95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 205x2, 135x5, 95x5

Then did sumo deadlift: did 135x5, 225x5, 315x3, 405x3, 495x3, 585x5.

Then did Abs.

here's some highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS-R9OxHZM4

Did 7 rounds of 1 min L 16kg swings, 1 min R 16kg swings, and 1 min of elliptical.

Then went on a wood run. Lugged 45 large pine logs into my truck and trailer. Plus cutting them up, rolling them to my truck and lifting the buggers in and out when I got home. Metabolic conditioning or real work at it's finest.

Rolled, caned and sticked myself into enlightenment.

Then did snatches. Still nursing the wrist. Wrapped it again. Slowed down the first pull and tried really hard to drag the bar up my my thighs. Did a lot of snatch drills to try and keep the bar close to my thighs.

Went 45x4, 75x4, 95x4, 115x4, 135x4, 155x4.

video should be uploaded soon.

After that did snatch grip push press behind the neck. Did 95x4, 135x4, 185x4, 235x4. Held the weight for a good bit while overhead.
Then did back squats with 135x4, 225x4, 315x4, 365x4, 315x4, 225x4
Then did Snatch Pulls - again working on keeping bar close to thighs during second pull. I hope I'm doing these better now?
went: 135x4, 205x4, 235x4, 255x4, 205x4
Then did some OHS - paused for two seconds at the bottom of each rep: 95x6, 135x6, 185x6, 135x6

Here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwN8p6mu8yY&feature=channel_page

Took Kiara to the Y during the evening and did a bunch of clean and snatch drill work with light weights. It was really fun. She's completely hooked now.

1.24.09. kinda funny. Kiara and I went to Dick's sporting goods and ended up doing about 15 mintues of drill work with the heavy bars at the back of the store. She really seemed to enjoy it. Didn't do much other than rolling, caning and sticking myself to near death. Really sore from the wood run and didn't realize it until today.

all the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
01-25-2009, 05:27 AM
My kids love my heavy bag. Absolutely love it. My little one Laney will just sit there and pound it. I figure she is taking her frustration with her brother out on the bag.

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-27-2009, 05:14 PM
My kids love my heavy bag. Absolutely love it. My little one Laney will just sit there and pound it. I figure she is taking her frustration with her brother out on the bag.

I've got my eldest figuring this out. The young one still has a lot of pent up hostility. Amazing how it happens that way, eh?:D

Here's what I've been into.

1.26.08 kata w7wo2 75%

Rolled, yoga, and lots of stick/cane.

Started with squat cleans. Finally, getting the movement. I think? Worked on pulling slow off the floor, then exploding once the bar was above my knees while keeping the bar in contact with my legs all the way to the crotch. Trying not to bump the bar out and away from my body.

Dig "drag" drills with 45x4, 95x4, 135x4, and 185x4. Then did 205x4, and 235x4.

After that did push presses. Went 45x4, 95x4, 135x4, 185x4, 205x4, and 235x4. This was the easiest this weight has felt in a long time.

After that did front squats. Went 135x4, 225x4, 275x4, 285x4, 295x4, 305x4, 275x4. Again, feeling some wrist pain, so had to use the straps wrapped around the bar with my hands off the bar. No way near as controlled as when I have them in the proper rack.

Then did clean pulls worked on the pull in sequences. Off the floor. Then above the knee. I should have done some full ones at the end, but I didn't think of them until afterward. Went 135x4, 225x4, 315x4, 365x4, 405x4, 405x4. Really more than 4 reps, but who's counting?

Here's the highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMudQKTNINI&feature=channel_page

AFter that did kb press 8 sets of 6 with a 24kg. rested about 20 seconds between sets. I think I could have done all 48 reps in one set.

Snow day. couldn't get to work, so worked from home and actually got a lot of stuff done I've delayed for months now.

Didn't get to event train like I wanted to, but I did do a kettlebell FI met-con. Weird one as I didn't want to do the typical one.

So I warmed up with 2minL 2minR with 12kg snatch - followed by 1 minute of handle work.
Then did the same with 16kg.
Then got bored real quick and mixed it up a bit.
Started out with the 24kg and did 1 minL1minR snatch. Then one minute of handle work.
Then did 24kgx10Lx10R snatch and finished off the respective minutes with the 16. Then one minute of handle work.
Then did 28kgx10Lx10R snatch and finished off the respective mintues with the 16. Then one minute of handle work.
Then did 32kgx10Lx10R snatch and finished off the respective minutes with the 16. Then one minute of handle work.

The 32 was actually easier than the 24. Which was weird.

After I did the above, I switched to LCCJ.

Started out with 16kg and did 1minL1minR. One minute of handle work.
Then went to 24kg and did 1minL1minR. One minute of handle work.
Then went 28x10Lx10R and finished off the respective minutes with the 16. Then one minute of handle work.
Then went 32x10Lx10R and finished off the respective mintues with the 16. Then one minute of handle work.

Then it got nasty. Hard Style swings.

Did 32kg swings for one minute followed by one minute of handle work - heart rate through the roof.
Then did 28kg swings for 1min followed by one minute of handle work.
Then did 24kg swings for 1 min followed by one minute of handle work.
Then did 16kg swings for 1 min followed by one minute of handle work.
Then did 12kg swings for 1 min followec by one minute of handle work.
Then did 8kg swings for 1 min followed by lying on the floor as a sweaty mess.

Buddha says hello.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
02-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Thought, i'd better update my log. Been hitting it pretty hard.

1.28.09 Kata W7wo4 75%

Started with Roller and Yoga. Even broke out the axe handle on the calves. It was awesome.

Started with Drop snatches or snatch balances. Went 45x4, 95x4, 135x4, 185x4, and 205x2 - that 205 was the heaviest I've ever gone on that movement. I was pretty pleased.

Then did my snatches. 115x4, 135x4, 155x4, 170x3, 135x3. these snatches were probably the best work I've done since I started doing the full movements. I was very pleased.

here's some highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTlaXS9HPe8&feature=channel_page

Then moved onto back squats. 135x4, 225x4, 315x4, 225x4, 225x4. I cut the weights light as I was feeling a bit achy in the hips and knees.

Then did RDLs; went 135x4, 245x4, 335x4, 405x4, 315x4, 245x4.

Then did OHS dead stop bottom position. 95x6, 135x6, 185x6, and 225x1.

Then did some ring push ups 4 sets of 10.
Then did some abs, rolled and more yoga.

Did a kettebell circuit 16kg swings 1 min L, 1 min R, then 1 minute of elliptical - did 7 rounds of this.

Then did a reverse ladder of 1 minute swings and 1 minute of handle event work. used a 32, 24, 16, and a 12kg.

Did some event work in the morning - at 5:30 a.m.. About 100 hits in the underhand and 70 strokes in the single. Did some board drills as well. Barn was about 15 degrees.

Very pleased with the underhand. I need to remember to heel the middle of the log in the single. I like where the saw is at on my body.

here's some highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbYQj56Ksl0&feature=channel_page.

At lunch, i went to the gym for some KATA.

W7wo6 - 75%

Started with roller and yoga. Was kinda tired from the event work in the morning. I cannot do weights and event work on the same day. I've learned this lesson.

Did squat cleans: went 45x4, 95x4, 135x4, 185x4, 205x4, 245x2. I wanted 4, but I just couldn't do it. to tired. Probably the first time people walking around me really messed with my concentration.

Then did muscle cleans into push presses. Went 95x4, 135x4, 185x4, 205x4, and 230x3. Again, wanted 4 with the 230, but just didn't have it in me.

Here's the highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGAotYxlSbQ&feature=channel_page

Then front squatted really well. Went 135x4, 225x4, 275x4, 295x4, 315x2, 330x2, 225x4.

Then did Seated Presses. Went 95x4, 135x4, 165x4, 190x4, 165x4, 135x4.

Then did trap bar deadlifts. Went 135x3, 255x3, 345x3, 435x3, 525x3, and 615x3 - I was going to do 6 with the 615, but I tore a callous on the 3rd rep. I didn't use straps. Word to the wise, when pulling high rep and heavy, where straps.

After that did some ring push ups 4x10.

Abs, rolled and yoga.

1.31.09 - USAW club coaching course at Potamic Crossfit in Alexandria. Awesome weekend. Met some great lifters from ECG and got some great coaching from Bull Ternus, Rick Bucelli, Leo Totten, and Dave Miller. The class had 27 attendees; fellow CA member, Patrick Donnelly was in attendance; it was great to finally meet him. I loved it. I got some serious information overload so I wrote down everything Bull, Rick, Dave and Leo told me from the day. Watched Rick, Bull, Dave and several other ECG lifters (Adam, Veronica, and another impressive female lifter) train during lunch. Rick worked up to 150 for a trip in the snatch and did snatch balances with 125. That was awe inspiring. My guess is that we performed about a 1000 repetitions of various movements with a bar and 95lb barbell.

2.1.09 - 2nd day at USAW Club Coach course. Lots of drill work. Worked a lot with Rick. He mentioned that he uses a 1 and 3/4" sole on his shoes - in comparison to most shoes which are 1 and 1/2". He mentioned this to me as he thought it might help me get into the hole better with my squats/snatches/cleans. If anyone has any thoughts on that, I would greatly appreciate it. I could actually buy 2 pair of custom made shoes for the price of one pair of addistars. Again, I reckon we performed about 500 repetitions of various movements with a bar and a 95lb barbell.

2.2.09 - did absolutely nothing. completely messed up from the 2 days of fun and 12 hours in the car.

2.3.09- decided to repeat the previous week to work on the things everyone showed me from this past weekend. I think it will pay major dividends.

Did Kata w7repeat wo1 - 75%

Did my roller and yoga.

Then started with snatches. I did them from progressively lower hangs until I was pulling off the floor. Did 45x5, 75x4, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 165x4. These felt great. I worked on relaxing my grip until I punched it out overhead. I also worked on high elbows while I was pulling myself under the bar. I also worked on NOT bouncing the bar off the crease in my hip. I did not that bent my arms a little bit during the pull, but I think I'm on the right path. I'm still not jumping, but I'm getting closer.

Here's the footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJK_TOQ9ZHE&feature=channel_page

After that did push press behind the neck. Went 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x5, 235x5, 255x5.

After that did squat. again went light to let everything below the hip heel up. Went 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 225x5.

After that did snatch pulls. Dave Miller told me to lighten up on this movement and work on exploding upwards with the bar. I went 135x5, 235x5, 235x3, 265x3, 285x3,

here's the footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AakMZX_Ceeg&feature=channel_page

After that did Overhead Squats. Went 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x5 (PR), and 135x5.

Here's the footage of the top two sets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Zp8ho6IiA&feature=channel_page

After that did 3 sets of ghey crossover thingys on this new machine at the gym.

After that did ABS.

Then went to cleans: Did 45x3, 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 205x3, 235x3, 270x2, and 225x5 hang power clean. I'll youtube the footage later.

After that did Push press: went 45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x5, 205x5.
After that did Front Squat: went 135x3, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 340x3, 275x3.
After that did Clean pulls; again, followed Dave Miller's advice and lightened this movement and worked on jumping and exploding at the top. Went 135x3, 205x3, 315x3, 345x3, 355x3, 315x3. I'll youtube the footage later.
Then did 72 presses with a 24kg 6R6L without setting the bell down. Pretty tough actually without setting the bell down.
After that did some abs, rolled, and some yoga.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Sorry I've gotten behind in my journal. Been training like a mashed cat, just not enough time to chronicle it. Plus I went on a Disney Cruise. Worked my butt of the week before I left and now the week after I returned.

In any event, Instead of rewriting all I've missed, I'll start from today and move forward.

Just had a pretty good session. I'm rehabbing some stuff before I start my next macrocycle.

Started with power snatches working on RFD. Went 45x3, 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 165x2, and 185x1. Just working on moving the weight as fast as I can.

Then went to power cleans. I was working on catching the weight in a 1/4 to 1/2 squat. I normally catch my power cleans with straight legs. I warmed up with 135x5, 185x5, 225x3. Then went to 255. I proceeded to do 11 reps with that weight in approximatley 3 minutes. I did doubles at first. Did 4 sets of doubles with about 20 to 30 seconds between the doubles. Then I did 3 singles with enough time to readjust the weight. I recorded the first two reps. Again working on RFD. The only reason I stopped the carnage was I tore a callous on my left hand. I was pretty pleased to be moving the weight as fast as I was and I brough the thigh brush back (thanks Sjaak).

After that did some back squats. Again working on RFD. Went 135x3, 225x3, 315x3, then 335x3. I tweaked something in my right "tear drop" again. I'm going to stop back squatting for a few weeks. That muscle is not aggrevated when I front squat or when I OHS. Weird.

After that did some RDLs. About 10x10 at 135. Just getting a good feeling.

Then did some band shoulder rehab stuff.

Then abs. Then my yoga and tai chi and back to work.

All the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
03-07-2009, 03:54 AM
Looks like a good workout other than the muscle pain. I love being at my office so I can workout at lunch. Man that makes all the difference in the world when you are trying to get 2 workouts a day, work and see the family.

You have a couple of more months before event season starts if I have it right. Are you going to change up our training in any significant way prior to competition?

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Derek,
Sorry so long in reporting, I'll get back on the wagon again this week. Been crazy at work and training. Haven't missed any session. Weight is still in the mid 250s and my event training has increased exponentially the past few weeks.

To answer your question, I taper off the heavy gym work and concentrate my efforts and energy into my event training the closer I get to the season. I have a few smaller contests over the next two months, but I have a world championship at the end of May and the ESPN Timbersports Series during June. So right now, I'm upping my event training. GPP at it's finest.

Here's what I did today with my weight room work. I'm working on Rate of Force Development with relatively light weights.

Had some great beefcake today.

Week 2 of my Spring Kata. Still nursing the sore right vastus medialus, but it's getting better.

Started with yoga, roller, and used a baseball on the hot spots - nice. Saw Buddha. Couldn't find my tennis ball, so I thought, what the hay, use a baseball.

Started out with true power cleans. I decided to narrow my grip a bit, and holy crap did it make a world of difference. The rack even feels betters. Went 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, and 205x3. The 205 was so easy, I went 235x3 and it went up easier than the 135 for 3. I then did another 205x3. I wish I would have recorded it. I was making an effort to really get into the power position and explode upward once my knees were under the bar; I think I may be onto something. I was catching the weight in about a 1/4 squat which is a lot better than my normal straight legged position.

After that, I did push press. Went 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 205x3, 135x3. Very easy and crisp.

After that, I did very light front squats. Before each set I did 10 Terminal Knee extensions with a blue band. I did my normal narrow stance for the first sets. Went 45x3, 95x3, 135x3, 185x3. Had no pain at all, but I could feel the muscle strain when I was setting up. Then I widened my stance to what should be my normal receiving position in the squat clean. I was getting wicked deep and way deeper than I thought was possible. Went 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 185x3. The weights flew up and I had no pain at all, except for the set up.

After that, did some clean pulls working on bringing my knees back under the bar before exploding upward. I thought I did pretty good. Went 135x3, 245x3, 295x3, 315x3, 345x3. All were pretty easy. Could feel the quad during the set up, but not during the pull.

After that, I free-styled and did some bench press 45x10, 135x10, 195x10, 135x10. Ring Push ups 3 sets of 10. Then super setting Ring Dips with Hammer Curls for 3 sets.

After that, did some cosmonaut sit ups with a 16 for 5 sets.

Twas good.

Here's some examples of the event training I've done the past week; pretty voluminous.

3.8.09 training with a young couple from central PA. My wife and Collin are competing at the Royal Easter Show in Sydney in a few weeks. They are one of the two person teams on Team USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiXb2GYkHz0&feature=channel_page

3.12.09 training with my overly large partner Chris Bradshaw (he's 6'3" 300). He finally got back into weight training this spring and whoa, what a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YaYiw4U6hI&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHCfkT92nG8&feature=channel_page

3.13.09 Training with Mike Eash, Chris, my wife, and Coach Randy Hauer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65KFd_LQvLE&feature=channel_page

Same stuff, next day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGmE4JlYiXM&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxpCY4zu09Y&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atSKw8EP5bE&feature=channel_page

3.17.09 Fat guy up a pole in a barn. :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4zjRr8neCk&feature=channel_page

Just the highlights of the technical stuff.

All the best,
Arden

Looks like a good workout other than the muscle pain. I love being at my office so I can workout at lunch. Man that makes all the difference in the world when you are trying to get 2 workouts a day, work and see the family.

You have a couple of more months before event season starts if I have it right. Are you going to change up our training in any significant way prior to competition?

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-23-2009, 11:21 AM
3. 20.09 - Was going to lift, but rested instead, rolled and did a ton of self myofascial release. Also did a yoga session.

3.21.09 - long day. Started out with a 3 hour drive to Pickens for the Maple Syrup Festival. Ended up having a great time. We had about a dozen contestants. Performed well in all events and was very pleased with how Bradshaw and I sawed. I was also pleased with how Kiara and I sawed. Bradshaw and I then cut some nice big pine logs at the end of the show for kicks and giggles. Bradshaw's was 47" and mine was 50". He crushed me like a grape. He cut his log in 33 seconds and I was 36 seconds. Not bad considering the size of the log.

Kiara and I then headed home, we stopped and watched "Duplicity" on the way home. It was a really weird movie. Sorta a cross between "Pulp Fiction" and a Bond movie. Okay, but if you got lost, you got lost.

We got home around 10:15 and I commenced to rolling and doing some yoga and then got a wild hair up my butt.

Went over to the barn, and did my Kata.

Started with power snatches. Went 45x3, 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 145x3, 165x3, 185x3. These felt very crisp and quick. I like them. I'm still leaning back too much at the top so I need to work on getting taller, then allowing my noggin to get out of the way on the way down. I'm doing pretty good on avoiding contact on my lower thighs and getting the bar to the crease in my thighs.

Then went to power cleans and jerks. Went 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 225x2, 250x2. These felt very crisp and quick. I like them as well. I'm still cutting the 2nd pull short. I really need to avoid contact with my thighs until it's above mid thigh. Lots of work there. Need to work on the punch without letting the bar migrate out.

Then went to Front squats and Terminal Knee extension super set - 45x3, 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 225x3 (felt great). No pain in my quad. It's coming along nicely. The wider stance is really helping redistribute how I execute the lift. Makes a lot more sense to squat wider as it's more indicative of my receiving stance.

After that I did some clean pulls. Went 185x3, 255x3, 345x3, 485x3, 565x3. These went smooth and quick. I was very pleased with them.

here's some highlights from the carnage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_EaL3GHw3E&feature=channel_page

After that did some abs, more yoga, and rolled. Got back in the house a little after Midnight. Kristy and the girls were watching Twilight. Awesome.

3.22.09 - did some yoga, band drills, and a lot of myofascial stuff. Nothing too physical.

3.23.09 - thus far. Had some lunch time beefcake. Started with Yoga and roller.

Then did power snatch working on staying tall and not leaning back. Went 45x3, 75x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 155x3. Very easy, quick and snappy.

Then did Behind the Neck Push Press. The weights were so light, it took no effort to jump it to full extension. Went 95x3, 135x3, 165x3, 185x3.

Then did TKE's and Front Squats. Went 45x3, 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 275x3. The 275 felt easy and had no pain at all. I'm going to continue this path until I feel very firm and confident. The pain's almost gone. But I don't want to start doing back squats and reaggrevate it. The fronts are working nicely.

After that did Beast swings - holy crap - Did a little over 150 swings in a little over 6 minutes. Buddha gives his regards. That was brutal. Biggest issue was the grip on the 30 rep sets. Holy crap, it was all I could do to not kill someone with that thing.

After that did some bench press. Went 135x10, 205x10, 135x10.

After that did some swiss ball push ups working on stability muscles in my shoulders. Must have completed about 5 or 6 sets of 10. Really good on the triceps and all the upper body stabilizers.

After that did some Beast one arm clean. Didn't do the jerks - just the cleans. Did a set of 5 each arm. Then did a set of 10 with each arm.

After that did some Russian Twists. More yoga, rolled on a baseball (yeah baby), and got back to work.

Hope to do some event work tonight when the misses and I walk the dog. I see Underhand and boardsholes o'plenty in my future.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-25-2009, 11:31 AM
on 3.24.09 did get some underhand event work in with the misses and the dog. It was fun.

Had a nice event session last night.

Started out with the single. Ended up doing 8 cuts. Recorded all but one. Used a tui for these cuts. It cuts pretty darn good. The smaller log was between 17 and 18" and the bigger log was over 21". I'm going to measure circumferences from now on so we have a frame of reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGBQuqJ1uoA&feature=channel_page

I'm pretty pleased with this. I'm keeping the saw down and I'm starting to cut straighter. I'm open to all commentary, so please chime in.

After that, I did some tree training. Started out with 1x3 of climbs. That really got the heart rate up. I had to walk around after the second climb because it was really winding me good. I recorded two sessions and I suck with my off hand right now and I need to relax my front foot and knee more with the up hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P10l5OkhIBY&feature=channel_page

After that, I practiced turns in both the standing and underhand. Did some stock saw lifts. And did a bunch of band ab work.

Started with Roller and yoga. Finding a little slice of heaven rolling on a baseball. It's awesome.

Started with power cleans. Went 45x3, 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 205x3. All were crisp, snappy, and nice. Worked on not letting the bar touch my thighs until the bar was at mid thigh. Did a decent job of it, but still have a lot of work to do.

Then did a power clean into 2 jerks. I'm doing split jerks right now in order to let my left shoulder heal up from a strain doing dumbell presses while on the Disney Cruise a few weeks back. Went 45x2, 95x2, 135x2, 185x2, 205x2. All were very crisp and quick. Very pleased with how fast the weights are moving.

After that did Front Squats supersetted with Terminal Knee Extensions. Basically, I banded up my knee for a set of 10 to 15 "flexes" then I'd wonder to the squat rack for my set of front squats. Again, I'm working on the wider stance. The wider stance is more in line with my receiving stance in squat cleans, so I think this is a good move. I was feeling great today. Went 45x3, 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 275x3, 295x3. The 295 for 3 was very easy. The narrow grip on the cleans and the rack makes it a lot easier to stay erect.

I'm going to continue down this FS/TKE path until I'm 100% confident the right vastus medilus is healed. I reckon one more week ought to do me.

After that, did clean pulls. Again worked on keeping the bar from rubbing my thighs until it was mid to upper thighs with arms straight with my knees under the bar. I think I did a pretty good job. Went 135x3, 255x3, 325x3, 325x3.

After that I did some bench press. Went 45x10, 135x10, 185x10, 225x8.

Then did some ring push ups. Went 3 sets of 10.

Then did some arm stuff.

Then did 2x5 of beast cleans.

Then did some ab stuff, rolled, and yoga.

all the best,
Arden