PDA

View Full Version : Oly lifting shoes consensus

Greg Davis
03-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Is there a consensus on whether or not to use oly lifting shoes (elevated heel) for snatches, c&j, etc.?

I've recently added in an olympic lifts day to my workouts and happen to have a pair of olympic lifting shoes that i never got around to using way back. Wondering if I should bother using them (I'm a relative oly lifting beginner) or just stick with my chuck taylors i usually wear at the gym?

Troy Archie
03-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Use them! My god use them! Even if I were never to do another clean, jerk or snatch again I would still get my money's worth with just squatting in them.

Dave Van Skike
03-19-2008, 07:03 AM
there is consensus among Olympic lifters, close stance squatters and strength coaches who teach the same.

Allen Yeh
03-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Ditto'ed to the 3rd power.

Joe Hart
03-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Use them. I noticed my squat was considerably more stable with them and it just makes sense with OLY lifting.

sarena kopciel
03-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Thought this would add more thought for those still on the fence about Oly shoes!!
http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sportivny/library/farticles015.html

Greg Everett
03-23-2008, 10:40 AM
It's like anything else really - the better you want to be, the more you need to use the tools of the game. You'll be able to get by without them, but I don't see a reason to. I actually just had this conversation with Robb the other day - If you're doing the lifts in isolation, shoes are definitely in order; if you're doing them within a CF WOD or something, a more generalist shoe works fine.