PDA

View Full Version : Rhodiola rosea

Greg Davis
03-19-2008, 11:31 AM
wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodiola_Rosea)

mda (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/herbalicious-rhodiola-rosea/)

Anyone have any experience with this herb/supplement? I started taking it last week and in hindsight my energy levels were sky high.. then i didnt take it for a few days.. was feeling lethargic today from some lack of sleep.. and then took 1 x 100mg dose with my lunch and i really noticed a kick as if i had a couple espressos. Didnt think anything of it until today when i think it floored me a bit.. thinking back to last week the days i took it same thing. seems like a strong effect for a herb (wonder if i should be cautionary). googling it reveals only positive reports.

Chris Bardwell
03-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Love the stuff, but I use it sparingly (when I'm stressed out, training hard or hungover) its excellent at what it does and to me is an essential supplement in terms of its cost/benefit efficiency....

I normally take 300mg 3% roasavins

Chris

Greg Davis
03-21-2008, 03:14 PM
its striking to me how noticeable the effect is..

Yael Grauer
03-21-2008, 04:51 PM
There is mixed evidence that it increases mental clarity and performance, but it also can cause anxiety and insomnia. It is a lot like caffeine.

A while ago Robb told me it has alkaloids that act on b-adrenergic sites the have some overlap with caffeine (epinepherine) and some GABA receptors
(opiates).

Using them every once in a while to stay up driving, deal with a temporary stressor, etc. is good but if you need it daily you may want to ask why your energy is low in the first place.

Greg Davis
03-21-2008, 05:07 PM
well there must be something serious going on there. that marks daily apple post probably deserves a word of caution.. anyway im gonna keep an eye out for more research i'd be curious to hear more about it.

Mike Kesthely
04-19-2008, 09:13 AM
A while ago Robb told me it has alkaloids that act on b-adrenergic sites the have some overlap with caffeine (epinepherine) and some GABA receptors
(opiates).

That's an odd combo of overlap; stimulatory receptor sites and inhibitory receptor sites. I suppose most adpatogens work this way, I've just never considered it.

BTW, excellent website and discussion here. I've recently subscribed to PM Journal, and I see the forum is of the same high quality material.