PDA

View Full Version : TC's take on "In Defense of Food"

Chris Bardwell
03-21-2008, 10:08 AM
TC from T-nation produces a decent article worth a read, especially if you are considering reading Micheal Pollan's "In Defense of Food"

W/F/S
ATOMIC DOG
Eat Food. Not Much. Mostly Plants. (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=2027284)

Thought he had a good perspective on the book and definitely wrote a good reminder to the t-nation crowd not to forget real food.

Chris

Mike ODonnell
03-21-2008, 10:22 AM
funny how everything comes full circle back to the simple rule: Eat real foods

We will never outsmart mother nature with supplements and vitamins...best sources will always be natural foods...and their design is millions of years old and proven to work.

Chris Bardwell
03-21-2008, 10:59 AM
funny how everything comes full circle back to the simple rule: Eat real foods

We will never outsmart mother nature with supplements and vitamins...best sources will always be natural foods...and their design is millions of years old and proven to work.

Yup its a point too many people are missing, it a shame clean eaters like us are a minority in today's world. its also sad how so many people's ideas of real food are bread, grain and pasta based dishes.......
Great book though, I'm currently around 50 pages through and have found it very informative and easy to read especially after finishing off "good calories, bad calories" which is tough to say the least, but well worth reading.....

Mike ODonnell
03-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Scott had a review on that lately on his Modern Forager website....If his ass wasn't out taking the day off from work and enjoying the sunshine then I am sure he would of told you himself...but I guess someone has to pick up for his slacking off....

http://www.modernforager.com/blog/2008/03/11/book-review-in-defense-of-food/

I don't find eating quality food an issue especially with IF. When I was shoving meals in 6x a day and drinking shakes/taking tons of supplements to support EAS back in the day....I had no real craving for foods, just could eat anything. Now with IF and smaller eating during the day and a larger meal at night...my mouth waters at the thought of fresh fuits or vegetables....or I look forward to having a huge juicy steak....funny how the body knows what is good for it once you give it a chance to clear the crap out of the system.

Chris Bardwell
03-21-2008, 12:29 PM
my mouth waters at the thought of fresh fuits or vegetables....or I look forward to having a huge juicy steak....funny how the body knows what is good for it once you give it a chance to clear the crap out of the system.

I feel you, since starting IF and an Evolutionary fitness style of eating I crave meat and fruit like mad, especially after a fasted workout. In fact I'm off to an Argentinean steak house tonight, looking forward to that sirloin with some red wine and salad.

BTW how does body composition compare to the days you were shoveling the food down? were you employed by EAS?

Mike ODonnell
03-21-2008, 12:53 PM
BTW how does body composition compare to the days you were shoveling the food down? were you employed by EAS?

No...I just spent most of my paycheck on all their products in the 90s...you name it, Myoplex (bars and Mass), CLA, V2G, ZMA, HMB, Betagen, Phos HP, etc...as for body composition I am at least 15lbs lighter around 10% BF now vs I was I think up around 15-18% back then. I had the typical big and bloated look back then which was more water weight and fat. So needless to say I am much more happier and healthier now.

Garrett Smith
03-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Seriously, I found that article totally hypocritical coming from a writer for a company that is always saying things like--take our super-highly-processed casein/whey powder mix (with or without super-highly-processed starches!) before, during, and after workouts...and oh, if you don't want to eat your veggies, we've got our new superfood *powder*!

He makes a living convincing people to buy non-foods. What a load of crap.

Mike ODonnell
03-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Seriously, I found that article totally hypocritical coming from a writer for a company that is always saying things like--take our super-highly-processed casein/whey powder mix (with or without super-highly-processed starches!) before, during, and after workouts...and oh, if you don't want to eat your veggies, we've got our new superfood *powder*!

He makes a living convincing people to buy non-foods. What a load of crap.

and yet the marketing brilliance of it as his supplement sales probably went up because of it....now that he is not trying to sell his stuff.....consumer trust=more sales for him in whatever he says....as everyone will always forget what he just talked about in the last article...but trust him more in the next one....

either way...I wouldn't buy any supplements anyways...It's glorified name brand stuff my guess anyways....as they don't have a compound pharmacy to make it....

Scott Kustes
03-23-2008, 10:03 AM
As I said in my review (thanks for the link Mike!), the book is good, but for most of us here, it's not gonig to really deliver much in the way of mind-blowing information. It's not as good as The Omnivore's Dilemma and most of the other stuff he discusses can be gleaned from Good Calories, Bad Calories.