PDA

View Full Version : Functional Fitness at the Renaissance Festival...

Garrett Smith
03-22-2008, 10:16 PM
So, I went to the Renaissance Festival today, something the wife and I do about once every 2-3 years.

One of our group noticed the "strongman" hammer & bell setup and suggested I go see what the prize was. I went over, saw no prizes around, and watched a couple of folks (one obese guy included) not able to get the ringer to the top. It was $2 to give it 5 tries. I went for it.

5 for 5. I guess all this training is actually worth something, right!?! :D A small crowd started gathering by the time I was done.

The woman working the booth then asked me if I'd like to come back to the "strongman" competition at the booth later that afternoon at 5pm. The competition was a best of 10 swings. The prize was a cheap t-shirt with the words, "Strong Like Bull" and a related graphic.

Well, I didn't end up going back, we left the Fair at around 4:30pm.

It is nice to have an outlet for all this "fitness" we work towards sometimes is my take on the whole thing.

Of course I had a turkey leg...

sarena kopciel
03-23-2008, 04:21 AM
So, I went to the Renaissance Festival today, something the wife and I do about once every 2-3 years.

One of our group noticed the "strongman" hammer & bell setup and suggested I go see what the prize was. I went over, saw no prizes around, and watched a couple of folks (one obese guy included) not able to get the ringer to the top. It was $2 to give it 5 tries. I went for it.

5 for 5. I guess all this training is actually worth something, right!?! :D A small crowd started gathering by the time I was done.

The woman working the booth then asked me if I'd like to come back to the "strongman" competition at the booth later that afternoon at 5pm. The competition was a best of 10 swings. The prize was a cheap t-shirt with the words, "Strong Like Bull" and a related graphic.

Well, I didn't end up going back, we left the Fair at around 4:30pm.

It is nice to have an outlet for all this "fitness" we work towards sometimes is my take on the whole thing.

Of course I had a turkey leg...

SO you accomplished the 1/2 strongman huh?? Nice work Dr. G.