PDA

View Full Version : toenail question

Yael Grauer
03-23-2008, 12:00 AM
So back in September while training stickfighting in the park I got hit on the foot with a Kali stick. My toe was okay but my toenail was pretty bruised up, which I didn't notice right away due to my dark purple toenail polish. Anyway, I later realized that most of the toenail was completely dead. It never fell off and just slowly grew back, and I would just clip off the dead black stuff as it grew out.

Anyway, so I went to SBGi and although I diligently taped my toe before rolling in each class eventually my nail cracked and split off. I just kept taping it but am trying to figure out how to treat a toe with no toenail. I thought of putting a fake toenail on it but am worried about it getting infected. How do I a) protect it and b) keep it uninfected and clean? I'll be training again Monday.

Derek Simonds
03-23-2008, 07:27 AM
I lost my toenail last year same way. I never wrapped it after it fell off just washed it really good afterwards. it took 6 months to grow back.

Greg Everett
03-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah - I've had mine knocked off - I didn't do anything. Without a nail, your insides really aren't any more exposed than with one, so the infection risk shouldn't be that significant. That said, grappling mats are notoriously gross, so I'd just take some extra time to wash it with anti-bacterial soap after you roll. And like Derek said, it takes forever to grow back.

Joe Hart
03-23-2008, 02:19 PM
They have this stuff called "new skin" that works good on cuts and stuff to keep them clean and what not. I think it is crazy glue with an anti boitic in it. It goes on with the brush. Stings a little, but it might be what you want to cover the toe. It wears off over time. It has worked good for me maybe it will for you.

Yael Grauer
03-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks, I'll look for it.

My toe got kinda cut up and bled quite a bit when the nail finally fell off and feels a bit raw/tender so I'm gonna at least tape it up.

Garrett Smith
03-24-2008, 06:41 AM
Several "coats" of NewSkin plus athletic tape over it and you should be good to go--that's what I do for opened blisters on my hands and I don't lose any ground...

sarena kopciel
03-24-2008, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=Joe Hart;28358 Stings a little, but it might be what you want to cover the toe. [/QUOTE]

LOL , for me that is a vast underestimate of the intensity!!

Yael Grauer
03-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Several "coats" of NewSkin plus athletic tape over it and you should be good to go--that's what I do for opened blisters on my hands and I don't lose any ground...

Cool, where can I find it?

sarena kopciel
03-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Cool, where can I find it?

regular drug store should have it but i warn you it may not be cool!!

Yael Grauer
03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
regular drug store should have it but i warn you it may not be cool!!

I couldn't find any at Walgreens.

Joe Hart
03-24-2008, 01:31 PM
I think I got mine at Traget. By comparison it doesn't sting as bad as Mercuricom (sp?) that my parents used back in the 70's. There was ALOT of wailing and gnashing of teeth with that stuff.

Garrett Smith
03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
It doesn't have to be fun to be fun, right? :rolleyes:

It can sting quite a bit, but it is short-lived and then you're back working out!

With an area as big as a toenail, I'd start conservatively...like one drop...

sarena kopciel
03-24-2008, 06:38 PM
What should i say Yael, I live in NYC!! There are some advantages to that!!

Yael Grauer
03-26-2008, 11:23 PM
With an area as big as a toenail, I'd start conservatively...like one drop...

One drop? Earlier you said several coats! Good thing it's just toenail stuff and not medicine... :D

Garrett Smith
03-27-2008, 11:00 AM
A coat is one drop, usually, depending on the size of the area (which is typically "torn blister/callus" size for me). A little goes a long way.

Make sure to wipe the brush on the rim to get any excess off...

Leslie Poole
04-16-2008, 08:07 PM
I started working out in a new pair of shoes and during the third of 50 box jumps, i felt my toe jam into the front of the shoe. I thought I had an ingrown nail, but it turned out, after some painful self examination in the bathroom, that my skin actually pulled away from the side of the nail. It's been 6 weeks, and it still kills.