PDA

View Full Version : Net Impact Carbs

Brendan Sonnichsen
03-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I googled the board on this topic and it doesn't look like it's been addressed here or at CrossFit.com so.....

What's the deal with "net impact carbs" in supplement bars? If it says there are 24g of carbohydrates, 19 of which are sugar alcohols, the wrapper claims that there are only 5g of net impact carbs. Does that mean I only count that has about 1/2 a block if I'm on the Zone?

Thanks!

Mike ODonnell
03-24-2008, 11:22 AM
I googled the board on this topic and it doesn't look like it's been addressed here or at CrossFit.com so.....

What's the deal with "net impact carbs" in supplement bars? If it says there are 24g of carbohydrates, 19 of which are sugar alcohols, the wrapper claims that there are only 5g of net impact carbs. Does that mean I only count that has about 1/2 a block if I'm on the Zone?

Thanks!

Marketing lingo....as they don't count "fiber" and sugar alcohols....tap dancing around what the FDA classifies as carbs. It still has an effect on blood sugar and insulin and still counts as a calorie. Personally I think anything that has a "label" on it should be avoided anyways! Since more marketers fudge and make up their own rules that the FDA never regulates.

Brendan Sonnichsen
03-24-2008, 12:28 PM
In Mastering the Zone Sears says that you can subtract fibre from the carb count (I'd reference a page, but someone has my copy).

That's not your practice?

Mike ODonnell
03-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't do the zone or count calories or carbs. But you can take out fiber since it is not digested into blood glucose. As for sugar alcohols....well that is kind of a toss up as I have read diabetics (who are sensitive to blood sugar spikes) can not handle them...but some poeple low on carbs in ketosis are not taken out of ketosis by them. In the end...if you need to count carbs precisely, I would count sugar alcohols, don't count fiber, and try not to eat anything with a wrapper or label in the first place.

Garrett Smith
03-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Make sure to count sugar alcohols as...

Explosive Diarrhea Carbs.

They do have an impact...

Mike ODonnell
03-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Make sure to count sugar alcohols as...

Explosive Diarrhea Carbs.

They do have an impact...

and don't forget to take your alli too...

sarena kopciel
03-24-2008, 06:37 PM
and don't forget to take your alli too...

That reminds me of the baking chocolate bar I bought at TJs one time@! And finished it mostly in one shot.....