PDA

View Full Version : Reading blood test data

David Aguasca
03-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Just had some blood work done. This is what my endocrinologist had to say:

"I received the results of the laboratory tests and your kidney function tests were normal with creatinine of 1.1 and urine microalbumin less than 2, so there is no sign of diabetic kidney disease; and your thyroid hormone level was normal. Your cholesterol level is slightly elevated at 205 and your HDL was elevated at 78 which is good news, but your LDL is also high at 122, ideally we like to see this below 100. Usually the initial treatment is cutting down on the fat in the diet, so eliminating red meats and switching to Egg Beaters from regular eggs, or at least limiting the yolks would be a good place to start."

I know that her diet suggestions are misguided, and I won't be following those, but I wanted to know if her interpretation of the cholesterol data was correct.

sarena kopciel
03-25-2008, 03:49 AM
David, I have a copy of my last labs right here and all I can say is the Quest "reference range" for lipids is such:

Cholesterol ttl 125-200mg/dl
HDL >=40 mg/dl
Chol/HDL ration <=5.0
LDL Chol <130
Triglycerides <150

Hoping Dr G will chime in for ya!!

Tony Ferous
03-25-2008, 04:21 AM
It does seem at the upper range(im no doctor!).
How old are you, whats your overall diet like?

According to Dr. Michael Colgan, Ph.D., CCN, (The New Nutrition, page 127) "...heart disease risk starts to rise at a cholesterol level of 168 mg/dl, not the 200 mg/dl bandied about by the media." Having said that, we need to understand one thing upfront and that is cholesterol is not your enemy. Cholesterol is necessary to live...all of your steroid hormones (adrenaline, estrogen and testosterone) come from it.

Basic Longevity 101 - also from Colgan.
Reducing cholesterol levels to below 168 mg/dl, the level beyond which cardiovascular risk starts to rise, is easy. Just eliminate the above environmental risks. Here are 10 simple principles that cost almost nothing, but eliminate most of your risk for all cardiovascular diseases, and a lot of other diseases besides. These principles do more to inhibit aging, than all the expensive hormones, drugs, and slick technological tomfoolery put together.

1. Donít smoke or associate with smokers.

2. Eat a diet with no more than 25% total fats, containing less than 10% of saturated or trans-fats (Products that contain hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats, mass produced cooking oils, margarineís, all fast foods, most baked goods, cookies, muffins, cakes and chips are high in trans-fats).

3. Exercise a minimum of 20 minutes per day including both weight exercise and cardiovascular exercise.

4. Eat a low-sugar diet. Avoid chocolate, candy, soft drinks, and most sports bars.

5. Keep bodyfat below 15% for males, 20% for females.

6. Eat a low sodium, high potassium diet.

7. Eat a low-acid diet. (Table next issue)

8. Eat 30-40 grams of fiber daily.

9. Take a strong multi-vitamin/antioxidant formula daily.

10. Leave high stress situations. Stay cool.

Chris Forbis
03-25-2008, 04:24 AM
Mercola says HDL/Chol should be above 0.3 and if it's above 0.4 it "nearly guarantees immunity from heart disease." You're at 0.38.

The trigylceride:HDL ratio is also frequently looked at. De Vany talks about that one in addition to Mercola. Do you know your trigylcerides?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/01/02/cholesterol-irrelevant-to-heart-disease-risk.aspx
http://www.arthurdevany.com/2006/05/protein_and_hdl.html

Garrett Smith
03-25-2008, 06:28 AM
I'd say your cholesterol numbers are fine. If your doc pushes it, ask if you can get a VAP profile (where the size of the LDL particles is broken down even further).

Triglycerides are also important (as Chris said), as is insulin. Did you get either of those done?

Mike ODonnell
03-25-2008, 06:35 AM
2. Eat a diet with no more than 25% total fats, containing less than 10% of saturated or trans-fats

Uh oh....looks like I am not going to live that long!!

David Aguasca
03-25-2008, 12:54 PM
No, I have not gotten triglycerides tested yet. How strongly do you suggest testing those?

My diet is about 90% paleo. I do include peanut butter, and unfortunately run into wheat in one of my daily meals, when I eat at the dining hall on campus. I realized I've been eating close to 100g CHO/day. I'm curious to see what happens if I take that down to under 70g/day and completely eliminate wheat.

Garrett Smith
03-25-2008, 02:14 PM
I've only heard good things about this approach:

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/

Arien Malec
03-25-2008, 04:01 PM
LDL typically is estimated from total cholesterol, HDL, and trigclycerides, so if you have the other measures, you must have triglycerides in there somewhere.

Neal Winkler
03-26-2008, 09:35 AM
With your HDL being high, it is unlikely that you have elevated trigylcerides or have bad LDL sub-types (you probably have more "big fluffy" than "small dense"). The three (HDL, tri's, and big fluffy) <i>usually</i> improve with one another.

Mike ODonnell
03-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Your cholesterol level is slightly elevated at 205 and your HDL was elevated at 78 which is good news, but your LDL is also high at 122, ideally we like to see this below 100.

Eades says total cholesterol should be 160-220 as that is where the lowest risk is for any heart disease. Also when you eat more Paleo your LDL will go up, but that is ok because your HDL will also go up and Triglycerides (the most important factor) goes down. He says the more important ratio is Triglycerides to HDL and you want that lower than 5. Also like mentioned above your particle size of LDL is more important than the total number. The BIG kind are the good kind that do not harden the arteries, the SMALLER kind is the bad kind. Eating Paleo and lower carb should give you more of the Bigger kinds.

Usually the initial treatment is cutting down on the fat in the diet, so eliminating red meats and switching to Egg Beaters from regular eggs, or at least limiting the yolks would be a good place to start.
Siggghhhhhhh.............don't even know where to start with this nonsense......how about 20% of the body's total cholesterol comes from diet and oh yeah by the way....if you lower dietary cholesterol the liver will just make more. Cholesterol helps us not to get dumber (as it is crucial to brain function)...I find irony in the fact that modern medicine want to get it as low as possible...and they wonder why alzheimers is increasing? Relation to increased statin use? Hmmmmmmm