PDA

View Full Version : GTG question

Brandon Enos
03-31-2008, 02:27 AM
If Im doing a bodyweight centered workout on Tue, Thur, Sat with pushups, pullups, etc, would it be overkill, recovery wise, to Grease the Groove with say pushups and pullups on Mon, Wed, Fri to try and boost the numbers? Note, the bodyweight workouts will only be for a few weeks, kinda like warmup weeks before I start a new olympic and power lift centered program.

Garrett Smith
03-31-2008, 11:24 AM
IMO, yes. Unless you like overuse injuries.

Mike ODonnell
03-31-2008, 11:51 AM
I say do your real workouts with bodyweight with resistance.....like 5-10 rep sets with weighted vest or something. On the off days if you do BW with no resistance just keep the reps low and plenty of time between sets....as it's not the workout.....like if you are walking around and want to do 10 pushups for fun....then 2 hours later do another 10....keep it well short of any kind of reps to failure. Hard to say exactly really but if it takes away from your primary weighted workouts (performance or reps go down) then you need to stop.

Brandon Enos
03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Second question, along same lines, more hypothetical. If you were doing a free weight program with bench pressing and GTGing with pushups, would you be expecting the same overuse injuries?

Allen Yeh
04-01-2008, 05:11 AM
Second question, along same lines, more hypothetical. If you were doing a free weight program with bench pressing and GTGing with pushups, would you be expecting the same overuse injuries?

Simliar movements but not the same. In a bench you want to keep the scapula retracted while in a pushup you don't.

As long as you kept the pushups low in volume and spread out I think you would be fine. Experiment with different hand widths and such for the pushup's i.e....staggered, triangle, wide, pushup-plus, scap, band......etc