PDA

View Full Version : no gall bladder

Suzanne Buffie
03-31-2008, 06:56 AM
Dr. G (or anyone else)...
What is your diet recommendations for patients who have had their gall bladder removed?

Thanks,
Suzanne

Mike ODonnell
03-31-2008, 07:15 AM
I think it was said that using "Ox Bile" to supplement for digestion of fats was recommended....although not a Dr.

Ari Kestler
03-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Shouldn't dramatically affect your eating but you might experience increased discomfort if you consume meals with exceptionally high quantities of fat. You might be able to overcome this hurdle if you increase your meal frequency...

Garrett Smith
03-31-2008, 12:22 PM
If a person without a gallbladder is experiencing digestive issues or other symptoms of fat maldigestion, then they would want to look into ox bile or lipase supplements.

Since supplements are only as good as they are digested & absorbed, I'd recommend that some sort of supplement like the ones listed above is taken with any & all fatty acid supplements (ie. fish oil, CLO).

I've had patients without gallbladders that couldn't even stand the smell of fats (in cooking) without getting nausea. This same person got headaches if she ate fatty foods. Different people experience different levels of symptoms, however, I believe that basic fat digestion and absorption are negatively affected by removal of the gallbladder.

Suzanne Buffie
04-02-2008, 06:16 AM
What Brand of Ox Bile or lipase supplements do you suggest?

Thanks-Suzanne

Robb Wolf
04-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Definitely keep the gluten out of the diet...likely the causative element in the gall blader disease:
http://www.celiac.com/articles/119/1/Gall-Bladder-Disease-and-Celiac-Disease---By-Ronald-Hoggan/Page1.html

Garrett Smith
04-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Yes, Robb's suggestion is crucial to their long-term health as well...if gluten was at the root of the issue and that is not resolved, then the problem will simply show up somewhere else.