PDA

View Full Version : uh...Weightism?

David Aguasca
04-03-2008, 05:24 AM
The title of this article: 'Weight-ism' More Widespread Than Racism.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=4568813&page=1

From the article:

"This is a form of bias that remains very socially acceptable in our culture," research scientist Rebecca Puhl, lead author of the study, said in a telephone interview.

Maybe it's more acceptable because being overweight puts at much higher risk for heart disease, diabetes, etc., and being black or japanese or pretty much any ethnicity does not. I don't want to be insensitive, but reinforcing the idea of "weightism" is going to allow people to pull the "it's genetic" card when they are asked to lose weight by people who care about them.

Allen Yeh
04-03-2008, 05:30 AM
I see it as this:

Race is what you are born as, you can't change it.

Weight for the majority of people is something they can help very few of the obese/overweight people actually have a medical reason as to why they got the way they are.

Mike ODonnell
04-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Honestly...I have had like 5 revisions to this...and I can't say anything positive...so just going to go back ignoring anything that comes from the news....

Garrett Smith
04-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Appearance is a significant indicator of overall health and "fitness" in the reproductive sense. Humans are by nature superficial.

Bodyfat is something that can be changed. Genetic expression can be changed through lifestyle.

Patrick Donnelly
04-03-2008, 06:51 PM
And it's everywhere. A friend recently offered me one of those cookies sold by Girl Scouts in our community. The label on the box said one cookie has four grams of fat. And nobody eats just one Girl Scout cookie. It tastes great, it's cheap and it's for a worthy cause. But that little angel standing at your door is offering you a one-way ticket to obesity.

So grab a handful, and if you get fat, it's your fault, right?

No, it's the Easter Bunny's. Too bad you really would blame him if you could.

Eric Kerr
04-03-2008, 07:45 PM
[I]And it's everywhere. A friend recently offered me one of those cookies sold by Girl Scouts in our community. The label on the box said one cookie has four grams of fat. And nobody eats just one Girl Scout cookie. It tastes great, it's cheap and it's for a worthy cause. But that little angel standing at your door is offering you a one-way ticket to obesity.

The cute little green sugar pushers!!!

I succumbed again this year :( On the plus side, I decided Thin Mints taste like crap, so personally will not be suckered again (at least not while TJ's sales Joe O's...oreo knockoff made out of 'natural' ingredients. But OMG they are awesome.)

In olden times (read 60ish years ago) you were lucky to get fruit and nuts for holiday treats (should be so fortunate now!).

We have to do so little work to get our food today and we have so much of it available that getting fat is inevitable unless you do something abuot it. And they don't make it easy either. They being food companies who want to sell you their value added products in nice convenient packagaing at eyelevel in the grocery store or quickie marts.

As far as a form of predujice. Your darn tootin that it the real deal. How many men and how many women have strayed from their spouses because they started not liking the appearance of their spouse? Want to bet that happens for a biologically based reason. I seem to remember reading about guys looking for women with an optimal fat content for bearing and sustaining children. And I'd hazard a guess that women are looking for men who look like they can bring home the bacon.

We like to think we have free will, but our guts do the thinking for most of us.

Reminds me of the quote from Dune by Frank Herbert badly parapharsed I'm sure.

What are you testing? To see if you are human. An animal would chew its own leg to get out of a hunter's trap. A human on the other hand would remain in the trap and lie in wait for the hunter to return in order that he might destroy a threat to his species.

Like it or not there is still a lot of animal in us humans.