PDA

View Full Version : Knee sleeves

Tom Rawls
04-05-2008, 07:30 PM
How much difference does a sleeve make?

I've got one slightly cranky knee (creaking and twinges) and am considering trying a sleeve.

Also recommendations for good products would be welcome.

Jonathan Reik
04-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Same here.

Any recommended brands?

Are there key features to look for?

Any reason not to use them all the time for oly lifting or squatting?

Jonathan Reik
04-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Tom, some searching revealed this thread

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1742&highlight=knee+sleeves

containing a recommendation for this product:http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/93831

Dave Van Skike
04-08-2008, 08:51 PM
How much difference does a sleeve make?

I've got one slightly cranky knee (creaking and twinges) and am considering trying a sleeve.

Also recommendations for good products would be welcome.

I've got two fairly ruined knees, I use the tommy konos. they get used 4 or more times a week have lasted a year and change so far. I've not heard anything good or bad about rehbands.

http://www.tommykono.com/

they are nice, no real bump in your squat or anything but they feel good. may have a mild help with kneecap tracking.

Chris Rice
04-09-2008, 05:30 AM
My Rehbands have held up very well - very warm like all the neoprene ones.

Tom Rawls
04-10-2008, 07:44 AM
thanx, gents.

I'll probably buy a pair and see if they make my old knees happier.

Morgan Guthner
04-29-2008, 10:58 AM
I've used the Rheband knee, elbow and belt and love them - they've held up very well over the last couple of years.

Wade Smith
11-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Question for those knee sleeve experts here: I am EXACTLY in between two sizes per the Rehband website (measuring around knee cap area) and I decided to go with the smaller of the two sizes (figuring better for knee sleeves to be tight than loose).

My phys dimensions are that my knee cap area is smaller circumference (smaller bones, I guess) but my Rehbands feel too tight/constricting around upper calf and lower quad areas.

If I send the Rehbands back for the next higher size, they'll be less constricting but possibly less supporting to my knees and thereby less helpful. Please advise. I'm about to send them back but would love your advice before I do.

1. The knee sleeves are constricting but not painful in a deep squat position.
2. The constriction is enough where I'm not confident I've purchased the correct size for me.
3. I am looking for knee support, not just knee warmth.

Thanks in advance.
--Wade (very long time lurker; first time poster)

Kris Reeves
11-05-2008, 02:00 PM
For what it's worth, I didn't want to plunk down the $$$ for rehband's (not yet anyway)...so I bought a pair of these at the local CVS/Walgreens:

http://www.bd.com/elastics/displayProduct.asp?path=0&bid=11&lid=0&tid=0&pid=85

They've held up pretty well considering they cost 10 bucks each. I'm sure the rehband's will hold up better but I can't see how they would be better/different functionally wise....but then again I don't know.

Kris Reeves
11-07-2008, 07:36 AM
OK, I'm a dork. Had a few dollars that was burning a hole in my pocket. On a whim I just purchased a pair of blue Rehbands (despite my last post). I too fell right in the middle of sizes. 39 cm. I opted to go up in size, so I'll let you know how they are when they get here.

Dan Heaney
11-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Has anyone tried these?

http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SLEEVES_KNEE_XT

Kris Reeves
11-07-2008, 08:52 AM
I came across these posts comparing them:

http://irondogreview.blogspot.com/2008/02/review-original-rehband-knee-sleeves.html

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_stre ngth/inzer_vs_rehband_knee_sleeves

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8096

Kris Reeves
11-13-2008, 01:40 PM
OK, so the Rehband's came the other day from Jackal's Gym. With my straight leg measuring exactly at 39 cm I up-sized and went with the XL. I'm glad I up-sized because I had a bitch of a time getting these on. I think the L would've been too small.

Compared to the Ace Bandage brand....daylight and dark. The Ace brand essentially only provides warmth compared to these. These definitely offer a fair amount of support (plus more warmth obviously...since they are thicker). Plus they are made a lot better. They look like they'll last for years. Definitely happy with the purchase.

On a side note when I was trying them out I was also wearing my headband, Oly shoes and a pair of shorts that are apparently slightly on the short side....my wife felt it necessary to comment and said I looked pretty ghey. That made my night.

Derek Simonds
11-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Yep I know the feeling. I took the kids to gymnastics one Saturday morning and all I did was slide the sleeves down to the top of my pulled up black socks and jump in the car sweat and all. I looked like some crazy flashdancer with blue suede do-wins. My kids were so proud.

Trevor Salmon
11-18-2008, 05:58 PM
I Just got me knee sleeves today. I'm thinking they are more for getting the knees intially warmed up then I'll take them off and only use them again when the loads get heavy. Is this what most do?

Brian Lawyer
11-29-2008, 07:26 PM
I Just got me knee sleeves today. I'm thinking they are more for getting the knees intially warmed up then I'll take them off and only use them again when the loads get heavy. Is this what most do?

That is a good question. I am considering using knee sleeves. I have never had any knee problems before but I have never squatted in as much volume as I have in the last couple months since I started doing a hybrid Starting strength and Oly Lifting program. So I was thinking of starting to use them as a preventative maintenance measure.

I noticed some of the above posters were talking about the extra support they got from knee sleeves. I had thought these type of knee sleeves weren't intended for extra support but rather for the warmth and increased blood flow around the knee joint and also to give some sort of neural feedback that helps with the squat. For these reasons, if I was in between a size, I probably would have opted for the larger size since the point isn't really for support. Plus it would be counterproductive to have a smaller size that would restrict blood flow when the point of the knee sleeve is to increase blood flow.

But I am also here looking for advice on this subject before I begin using knee sleeves. I don't want them to weaken me like the weight belt used to. I stopped using a weight belt about 7 or 8 years ago. Before stopping the weight belt I always had back pain. Once I got off the weight belt my back has never felt better.

Kris Reeves
11-30-2008, 04:09 AM

Taking them on and off is a little bit of a pain in the ass (for me anyways)...gotta take the shoes off and put back on...too time consuming for me. As well, trying to slide wet neoprene back up and over is not as easy as putting them on dry.

I put them on before I start my warm up and wear them through anything that is 'knee intensive'. As soon as I've reached a point in the workout where I don't need them, I fold them down around my calves.

Wade Smith
11-30-2008, 06:20 AM
Follow-up: I posted earlier that my knees, as measured, were exactly the in between point between two sizes. I got ready to send the Rehbands back for the larger size, but then decided to go ahead and give the smaller (of the two sizes) a try. I'm glad I did decide to stay with the snugger smaller size.

Yes, they are slightly snug. But as one who has gone through long slow recovery from a knee issue in the recent past (patellar tendinitis), the "support" they offer, if just an emotional/confidence type support, is helpful to me.

Now I'm squatting, pistoling, and box jumping without issue.

Brian Lawyer
12-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Any particular reason why nobody gets the valeo knee sleeves for $12 at the USAW store.

WFS, http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1635307&showprevnext=1

If the reason no one uses these is lack of support then let me know because I am not looking for support. I just want something to keep my knees warm so perhaps these would work well for me.

Brian Lawyer
02-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Any particular reason why nobody gets the valeo knee sleeves for $12 at the USAW store.

WFS, http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1635307&showprevnext=1

If the reason no one uses these is lack of support then let me know because I am not looking for support. I just want something to keep my knees warm so perhaps these would work well for me.

Follow up. I got the above Valeo's and I have no complaints. I went with larges. I think the size is the correct size for me although I don't know that they were exactly designed for some one with enormously ripped quads like me....just kidding. Seriously, they fit a little loose below the knee cap but then could be a little larger for above the knee cap. I am constantly having to pull them up.

Maybe I am trying to wear them too high. I like to get them roughly about 2 inches above the top of my knee cap with a straight leg. I am wearing them right now and using a ruler. That gives me roughly about 4 inches from the bottom tip of the knee cap to the end of the knee sleeves on my shin.

As far as use, I used them when I was trying to set a new 1RM on Back squat. Then I put them on very sporadically if I feel my knees are getting over used. I've probably worn them 5 - 10 workouts in the last 2 months.

I will probably upgrade to those Rehband knee sleeves once I wear these ones out. I mean they were only a $24 investment for the two of them just to see if I liked using knee sleeves. Also, they sell Valeo at Academy Sports I noticed. Are there any retail stores that sell Rehbands?

Brian Lawyer
02-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Also, for those of you with Sleeves, I am curious if this constant game I am playing with pulling the sleeves up is a sizing issue or just because these are cheap sleeves? Do those of you who own Rehbands constantly battle with pulling sleeves up.

They fit just fine around the shin below the knee cap. That part doesn't budge and as a result when they slide down from above my knee cap I get this bunching effect where everything just gets bunched up around my knee cap.

Very confusing, I know. But those of you who own and operate knee sleeves should know what I am talking about.

Donald Lee
02-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Also, for those of you with Sleeves, I am curious if this constant game I am playing with pulling the sleeves up is a sizing issue or just because these are cheap sleeves? Do those of you who own Rehbands constantly battle with pulling sleeves up.

They fit just fine around the shin below the knee cap. That part doesn't budge and as a result when they slide down from above my knee cap I get this bunching effect where everything just gets bunched up around my knee cap.

Very confusing, I know. But those of you who own and operate knee sleeves should know what I am talking about.

I don't have any such problems with my Rehbands.

Brian Lawyer
02-21-2009, 07:06 PM
My wife just pointed out she thinks I am wearing them too low. I noted above that I had about 2" above the top of the knee cap and 4" below the bottom of the knee cap. I was just looking at pictures in Everett's book and I think they should be worn about 4" above the knee cap and only 2" below.

Donald Lee
02-21-2009, 10:08 PM
My wife just pointed out she thinks I am wearing them too low. I noted above that I had about 2" above the top of the knee cap and 4" below the bottom of the knee cap. I was just looking at pictures in Everett's book and I think they should be worn about 4" above the knee cap and only 2" below.

http://images.google.com/images?q=olympic%20lifting%20knee%20sleeves&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

For mine, I pull it up pretty high, but there's still more on the bottom of the knee than on top.

John Filippini
02-22-2009, 01:37 PM
After reading this thread and some others a few weeks ago, and my right knee getting a little twinged from a high-volume squat cycle, I ended up getting Tommy Konos.

First, no problem with sliding, though I think I do wear them higher than it sounds like you do Brian, more on the order of 4" above and 2" below.

Second, I'm now approaching the end of the squat cycle and attempting to use them as sparingly as possible. While I'm doing ok, I noticed after probably a week of using them that I went from feeling perfect in them (fixing the previous twinge in the kneecap), to feeling a lot of tension and soreness in the back of the knee. The top of my calf to the bottom of my hamstring got extremely tight and sore, and it's only just now starting to go away again.

Anyone else ever have this problem from sleeves? Was I just wearing them too often?

Brian Lawyer
02-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Follow up. I got the above Valeo's and I have no complaints. I went with larges. I think the size is the correct size for me although I don't know that they were exactly designed for some one with enormously ripped quads like me....just kidding. Seriously, they fit a little loose below the knee cap but then could be a little larger for above the knee cap. I am constantly having to pull them up.

I was joking about my enourmous quads above but I actually really think that is the problem and why the sleeves keep pushing down and scrunching up over my knee cap. I forgot probably 90% of the athletic world doesn't squat 400+ pounds. They are runners, laymen basketball players, bikers, laymen Softball players, etc.

So I don't think those knee sleeves were in fact built for someone with my legs which are pretty much average sized calves and knees and enourmous quads starting just above the knee cap. This was my experience with these Cheap Valeo's, so my question is if I spend the money on Rehbands or Kono's will I have the same problem?

Dave Van Skike
02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
the cheap ones slide off becuase they are fabric on both sides and the seam is biased towards an extended leg, then you put them on and do deep knee bends.

It's what i like about Konos. they stick like a wetsuit. Even the rehbands needs to be adjusted to keep from sliding off my tiny little thighs.

Brian Lawyer
02-28-2009, 11:53 AM
the cheap ones slide off becuase they are fabric on both sides and the seam is biased towards an extended leg, then you put them on and do deep knee bends.

It's what i like about Konos. they stick like a wetsuit. Even the rehbands needs to be adjusted to keep from sliding off my tiny little thighs.

Thanks for the answer Dave! That explains my problem. I think I may step it up to the Kono's. I'm just wondering how much I will actually use them in the spring and Summer. I have mostly been using them over the winter to keep my knees warm.

On a side note, do you ever see those elbow sleeves NFL players wear. They appear to be rubber. Anyone know what those are and what brand they where?

Brian Lawyer
02-28-2009, 11:56 AM
On a side note, do you ever see those elbow sleeves NFL players wear. They appear to be rubber. Anyone know what those are and what brand they where?

Never mind. I just did some googling and answered my own question. Here is what I am refering to, http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=561945&CAWELAID=111070993. Apparently they are worn to help running backs and recievers grip the ball, I guess when they tuck the ball away.

Dave Van Skike
02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
the konos are uncomfortably hot year round. i train in an unheated basement and even in january i'm sweating.

Brian Lawyer
02-28-2009, 12:23 PM
the konos are uncomfortably hot year round. i train in an unheated basement and even in january i'm sweating.

What are you thinking Rehbands then? Do they breath better? Or just wait till next winter to replace my knee sleeves.

I live in TX. In about another 3 weeks or so it's going to be 80-100 degrees every day until next September. Warming up my knees is not going to be a problem. Staying hydrated in my garage and not having a stroke from heat exhaustion will be a problem. Hey, at least all my joints will be loosey goosey.

Dave Van Skike
02-28-2009, 12:45 PM
nah, i like them becuase they are so hot. i just peel them back.

Alex Bond
03-04-2009, 02:52 PM
I got a pair of the Tommy Konos a few days ago. They are great to lift in but take me about 10 minutes to get on. I have big, exceedingly hairy calves that are tough to get them around. The packaging suggested talcum powder, which I have not yet tried. Does anyone have any other tips?

Brian Lawyer
03-04-2009, 03:20 PM
I got a pair of the Tommy Konos a few days ago. They are great to lift in but take me about 10 minutes to get on. I have big, exceedingly hairy calves that are tough to get them around. The packaging suggested talcum powder, which I have not yet tried. Does anyone have any other tips?

Yes I was reading an article on T-Nation or somewhere about that. You turn them inside out then pull the bottom, which is now the top, up to just below your knees then pull the top, which is now the bottom, up over your knee, thus turning them inside out again, but back to the right side being out. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Dave Van Skike
03-04-2009, 03:57 PM

i keep baby powder in my gym bag. that works.

Brian Lawyer
04-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Final thoughts because I am about to finally pull the trigger and purchase some nicer knee sleeves. Based on this thread I was leaning towards the Tommy Konos. My only hang up is that from all the videos I watch or pictures I see of experienced lifters I seem to see rehbands more than the Kono's. Why is that?

Alex Bond
06-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Normally I'm not one to trade rumors, but this rumor happened to me. I had heard that the stitching in TK knee sleeves has been getting lower in quality lately, and the stitching in one of my sleeves has been coming apart after just 3 months. It might be partially my fault since the sleeves were a little too small and I may have been too vigorous in my tugging to keep them on, but I don't think I was putting undue stress on them. To put it simply, I don't expect my set of TK sleeves to last much longer, and I plan to replace them to Rehbands when that happens. Just putting that out there.