PDA

View Full Version : Eggs are bad again

R. Alan Hester
04-09-2008, 09:55 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24028358/wid/11915773?GT1=31037
Middle-aged men who ate seven or more eggs a week had a higher risk of earlier death, U.S. researchers reported on Wednesday.

Men with diabetes who ate any eggs at all raised their risk of death during a 20-year period studied, according to the study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Dave Van Skike
04-09-2008, 10:03 AM
100% of water drinkers will die.

John Alston
04-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I will keep eating eggs so when they are "good" again I can laugh and say I told you so.

Brandon Enos
04-09-2008, 11:54 AM
I will keep eating eggs so when they are "good" again I can laugh and say I told you so.

Aint that the truth. People over analyze things to much. Im guilty of it when it comes to exercise. but as far as I can tell, diet is pretty simple. Be sensible, eat whole foods, eat a lot of plants, dont eat to much (unless your trying to bulk up). Its that simple.

R. Alan Hester
04-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Aint that the truth. People over analyze things to much. Im guilty of it when it comes to exercise. but as far as I can tell, diet is pretty simple. Be sensible, eat whole foods, eat a lot of plants, dont eat to much (unless your trying to bulk up). Its that simple.

If by "people" you mean me, my post was not intended to be an analysis. I just thought I would share the madness that is nutritional studies. To be fair, however, it is their job to analyze the data. Maybe the experts will decide one day. Doubt it, though.

Brandon Enos
04-09-2008, 12:13 PM
No, not you haha. I mean the scientist and the general population.

Mike ODonnell
04-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I just rotate eggs and coffee every week....since they seem to be polar opposites....when eggs are bad, coffee is good....and visa versa....so I am always healthy....

R. Alan Hester
04-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I just rotate eggs and coffee every week....since they seem to be polar opposites....when eggs are bad, coffee is good....and visa versa....so I am always healthy....

nice. You are staying one step ahead.

Garrett Smith
04-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Several things about this study that they are extending to the general "men" category that I have to note, from the article:

The Harvard team studied 21,327 men taking part in the much larger Physicians' Health Study, which has been watching doctors since 1981 who have agreed to report regularly on their health and lifestyle habits.

So, this study only deals with MD/DOs, not average men. FWIW. Next:

"Egg consumption was not associated with (heart attack) or stroke," the researchers wrote.

But what about all the cholesterol in eggs?!? Is this another dent in the hypothesis?

Men who ate the most eggs also were older, fatter, ate more vegetables but less breakfast cereal, and were more likely to drink alcohol, smoke and less likely to exercise — all factors that can affect the risk of heart attack and death.

But let's lay all the blame squarely on 7 eggs or more a week--but if one only eats 6, they'll be okay.

There's also the assumption that they are telling the truth in their dietary recall questionnaires, a shaky method of collecting dietary data at best.

Allen Yeh
04-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Not on topic but I was reading this thread as I scarfed down my plate of 5 eggs scrambled with veggies and topped with guacomole.

Chris Forbis
04-09-2008, 02:39 PM
I eat two dozen a week.

I'm f****d, apparently.

Mike ODonnell
04-09-2008, 02:41 PM
I eat two dozen a week.

I'm f****d, apparently.

Technically according to researchers....you've been dead for 6 months....so you are doing quite well in that aspect!

Gant Grimes
04-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Men with diabetes who ate any eggs at all raised their risk of death during a 20-year period studied, according to the study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Fixed.

Men with diabetes...raised their risk of death.

Garrett Smith
04-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Gant,
Speaking of doctors with diabetes, I was talking to a guy at the Patch seminar recently who said an MD he knew specifically bought Costco-sized bags of candy to eat so that he could "CONTROL" his blood sugar.

I'd have to guess that's some cognitive dissonance right there...wow.

Gant Grimes
04-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Hmm. I guess he was controlling it in that he'd never let it drop to suitable level.

Patch seminar sounded cool. Too far to go for me though.

Speaking of cognitive dissonance, I'm still a nightshade consumer despite your articles and plenty of other evidence. As a native Texan, hot peppers are a staple of my existence (though I have cut back). It's hard to give up. On the plus side, I still heal like Wolverine. Someday...

sarena kopciel
04-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Gant,
Speaking of doctors with diabetes, I was talking to a guy at the Patch seminar recently who said an MD he knew specifically bought Costco-sized bags of candy to eat so that he could "CONTROL" his blood sugar.

I'd have to guess that's some cognitive dissonance right there...wow.
That sounds like the sign I saw on the back of the bathroom stall at the gym last night (after teaching my yoga class). It was talking about sweets etc, diet sodas, carbs (potatoes, bread were specifically mentioned). It did rightfully say to ditch the diet soda since it wont make one lose weight. But it said carbs are fine but one should respect the timing of eating them. Like right after a workout to maximize the benefits of them. And it did mention those simple carbs...Also said smoothies are great imme after working out as it also said that drinking water after a workout is BAD for ya as your body needs calories. Water will plummet the system further into depletion and starvation mode!! I mean, honestly, I dont think water can be detrimental on most occasions!! And how many people do actually drink excessive amounts of water. most drink a 0.5liter or 2 0.5 liter bottles a day and think that is sufficient!!

Oh and dont even get me started on the placement of these signs in the ladies restroom stalls. WTH!

Gant Grimes
04-10-2008, 11:48 AM
it also said that drinking water after a workout is BAD for ya as your body needs calories. Water will plummet the system further into depletion and starvation mode!! I mean, honestly, I dont think water can be detrimental on most occasions!! And how many people do actually drink excessive amounts of water. most drink a 0.5liter or 2 0.5 liter bottles a day and think that is sufficient!!

Yeah, hyponatremia is a real concern after a 50-minute spin class. :rolleyes: Better load up on pickle juice and PWO carbs (available at the juice bar, naturally).