PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions on activity from a possible umbilical hernia?

Allen Yeh
04-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Saw the dcotor today, thinks i might have a umbilical hernia. I'm suppose to get a ultrasound next Thursday. She didn't mention what I should or shouldn't be doing until then and I'd hate to just laze about the house and not workout.

Anyone who has had or known people that have had this? Anything without pain pretty safe? I know I've read a couple of places online about heavy lifting and straining being a cause.

She did say if it starts hurting a lot more to get my butt in the ER so let's hope it doesn't come to that!

Garrett Smith
04-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Anything that doesn't cause pain is a good general rule.

Allen, maybe you should just buy a laser to have at home :-) :
Influence of laser -- infrared irradiation on local complications of early postoperative period in hernias of anterior abdominal wall (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16247383?ordinalpos=13&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum)

Mike ODonnell
04-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Straining too much while sitting on the pot lately?

Dan Heaney
04-11-2008, 04:51 PM
I have one and I don't restrict anything. Only hurts when it gets hit. Mine is the result of leg pressing years ago when I was dumb enough to use one.

Don Stevenson
04-13-2008, 07:52 PM
I gave myself a hernia earlier this year and had to wait a couple of months for surgery because i had workshops and stuff to teach.

During that time I was advised not to do any heavy lower body work but I continued to do CrossFit workouts and lots of upper body stuff and I didn't run into any problems, I even set a bunch of upper body and rowing PBs during that time.

I was doing quite a lot of rowing and the only thing that ever hurt a little was doing hard 500s but longer stuff was fine.

If you need surgery all I can say is plan to have about a week off doing anything that involves your abs, like tying your shoes, getting out of chairs, standing up straight etc!

Allen Yeh
04-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Anything that doesn't cause pain is a good general rule.

Allen, maybe you should just buy a laser to have at home :-) :
Influence of laser -- infrared irradiation on local complications of early postoperative period in hernias of anterior abdominal wall (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16247383?ordinalpos=13&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum)

Today I'll do a litle experiment and see if anything hurts. Right now the area is tender but no pain otherwise.

It seems like I should just buy my own personal laser and buy some stock in the companies!

I gave myself a hernia earlier this year and had to wait a couple of months for surgery because i had workshops and stuff to teach.

During that time I was advised not to do any heavy lower body work but I continued to do CrossFit workouts and lots of upper body stuff and I didn't run into any problems, I even set a bunch of upper body and rowing PBs during that time.

I was doing quite a lot of rowing and the only thing that ever hurt a little was doing hard 500s but longer stuff was fine.

If you need surgery all I can say is plan to have about a week off doing anything that involves your abs, like tying your shoes, getting out of chairs, standing up straight etc!

Oh good I'm looking forward to not tying my shoes and standing....that sounds awesome. I have an ultrasound set for this Thursday so if it does happen to be a umbilical hernia I may just tell the doctor to do both of my hernias at once.

Today will be an experiment in finding things that don't hurt!

Allen Yeh
04-16-2008, 11:31 AM
I did some heavy snatch pulls and some moderately heavy back squats and didn't experience any increase in pain. I'm going to be hitting the gym again today before I head off for my ultrasound tomorrow. yay.