PDA

View Full Version : Best meat options when we can't eat grass-fed...

Ari Kestler
04-22-2008, 09:05 AM
What do you do when you are eating at someone else's house? eating out? at an event?

If you had to pick your poison what would it be?

Fish?
Seafood?
Steak?
Chicken?

Allen Yeh
04-22-2008, 09:17 AM
I personally don't worry about it.

Scott Kustes
04-22-2008, 09:37 AM
I suppose I'd pick chicken because it is illegal to raise them with antibiotics and hormones, but I don't worry that much about it for a single meal.

Mike ODonnell
04-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Whatever is closest to my mouth....but I like steak anyways...so I'll have to go with that tops. Mmmmmmm......swallow some fish oil....you'll be fine. Farmed fish is highest in AA pro-inflammatory Omega 6s...so I would put that on the bottom of the list.

Dave Van Skike
04-22-2008, 11:51 AM
I personally don't worry about it.

Allen,

You cannot be serious. A little more navel gazing, Please. If ever there was a time and place for handwringing......

Ari Kestler
04-22-2008, 12:21 PM
I assumed from a pro-inflammatory stand point you would want the piece of meat that had the lowest % of fat since that is what's really hurting in grain fed vs. grass fed? Is this logical? So say, boneless/skinless chicken breast or wild salmon vs. steak ?

Mike ODonnell
04-22-2008, 01:20 PM
I assumed from a pro-inflammatory stand point you would want the piece of meat that had the lowest % of fat since that is what's really hurting in grain fed vs. grass fed? Is this logical? So say, boneless/skinless chicken breast or wild salmon vs. steak ?

grain fed anything will have more omega 6s...but if it's lean cuts then really there's no need to sweat over it on occasion. Farmed salmon by far is the worst. I really don't crave chicken...so I would go for wild fish or steak....unless it was chicken wings with hot sauce and a Guinness and then this whole discussion is pretty much went out the window....probably of a bar.....

Allen Yeh
04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Allen,

You cannot be serious. A little more navel gazing, Please. If ever there was a time and place for handwringing......

Can I just call you Half Shaf?

Dave Van Skike
04-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Can I just call you Half Shaf?

Puhleaze. 2/3rds Shaf, I've been eatin'.

Allen Yeh
04-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Puhleaze. 2/3rds Shaf, I've been eatin'.

What about him?

Scott Kustes
04-22-2008, 05:10 PM
MOD, time for you to try some pastured chicken leg/thigh quarters from a local farmer. The ones I get are amazing.

Tony Ferous
04-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Lamb, i think lambs are usually free to graze and not lot fed, in Australia at least. The fat is always pure white though oddly..a butcher once told me that grass fed beef the fat has a yellow tinge.

Darryl Shaw
04-23-2008, 06:20 AM
If it was on the menu I'd go for mutton or lamb because as Tony said sheep usually graze freely. If those two options weren't on the menu I'd probably choose beef because here in the UK most cows are grass fed for most of the year and farmers aren't permitted to feed them hormones to increase their weight.