PDA

View Full Version : Is there a reason as to why...

Brandon Enos
04-25-2008, 06:11 PM
...in the WOD FAQ it says to give six hours between strength and metcon workouts? I know metcon should be done after strength, but is there a specific reason for the large gap, couldnt you just lift, change shoes, and do your metcon?

Personally (and mind you, I have zero scientific knowledge in this) I really only see the gap for metcons involving weights or bodyweight exercies, not necessarily for when the metcon is running, swimming, biking, etc. Im mainly curious for time contraint reasons.

Most days is fine, but then others, like today, I have to wake up at 5 to do weights before work, then ahve to wait til at least 7:30 to run after, its a serious pain. Then on regular days, it would be nice to just spend a whole 1 or 2 hour block at the gym, then not have to worry about setting time aside later.

Just being curios...

Garrett Smith
04-25-2008, 09:37 PM
When I was doing the CA WOD I did them back-to-back except for a couple of times...it worked for me.

Whatever works. I do believe the metcons would be more productive with the break between the two portions.

Steven Low
04-25-2008, 10:35 PM
You get poor effect from metcon or strength if you do it directly after. Basically you're telling your body to get stronger (strength) and then depleting it's energy systems which basically gives it a strength related metcon effect on the body.

By separating them out you can get two nearly unrelated stimuli on the body (although there will be some overlap because of muscle damage and lack of replenishing of glycogen if you did metcon first), but overall different responses. Kind of like trying to do skill work when fresh and then when not fresh... confusing signals to your body.

Greg Everett
04-26-2008, 08:50 AM
It's primarily to allow you some rest between training sessions. Basically the better rested you are before training, the better you train and the more effective it is. Ideally you'd do only 1 exercise at a time and rest between - that's part of the Bulgarian method and part of what allows such heavy training with such high frequency.