PDA

View Full Version : Kindle

Frank Needham
04-28-2008, 07:22 PM
I know there are some pretty savy people here who may be using Kindle already. So, what do you think of it. If you haven't heard about it you can check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/ref=amb_link_6750302_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=0D572K1XM22VTK113X6K&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=389635101&pf_rd_i=507846
From what I see, I'll be getting one sometime in the near future.

Jay Cohen
04-29-2008, 01:51 AM
I know there are some pretty savy people here who may be using Kindle already. So, what do you think of it. If you haven't heard about it you can check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/ref=amb_link_6750302_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=0D572K1XM22VTK113X6K&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=389635101&pf_rd_i=507846
From what I see, I'll be getting one sometime in the near future.

E Books did not catch on the first time, doubt if they will this time. People like to read real books, least the few that still read.

I'd spend that money on a Steer.

Frank Needham
04-29-2008, 05:52 AM
Jay, did you use it or are you just voicing a bias? Hope you don't mind but I'm looking to hear comments from people who've actually used it, not just opinions.

Garrett Smith
04-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Frank,
I haven't used it. Based on my past history of not reading any of the e-books that I've downloaded completely through, and usually printing up important PMenu and CFJ articles so I have hard copies of them, I wouldn't be interested until it offers something that books don't.

There is something special about paper.

sarena kopciel
04-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Frank,
I haven't used it. Based on my past history of not reading any of the e-books that I've downloaded completely through, and usually printing up important PMenu and CFJ articles so I have hard copies of them, I wouldn't be interested until it offers something that books don't.

There is something special about paper.

Yeah, especially as it is becoming more and more lost.....

Steve Rogers
05-03-2008, 06:56 AM
Kindle reminds me of Alan Kay's original Dynabook design. While previous ebook readers have flopped, Amazon may have hit a sweet spot of portability, readability, and ease of distribution. Our house is overrun by books and I'm tempted. I've head of a number of book lovers are converts. Here's one:
http://www.willwilkinson.net/flybottle/2008/02/04/the-wave-of-the-future-not-not-very-good/

Frank Needham
05-03-2008, 07:38 AM
As some others have said, I also prefer paper. But, things being what they are in day and age I believe that this device, or something like it, will be a huge complement to how people read. Like Steve, my shelves are spilling over in my library with no sign of slowdown in additions due to school and just reading. I can already get tons of free ebooks on the net and make extensive use of them on my laptop. If I could incorporate all this into a small device it'd be nice. Carrying around 30+ pounds of gear all the time blows.

Mike ODonnell
05-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Something real and simple about just having a regular book....I don't want to look at too many electronic screens as this laptop gives me enough of a headache when I'm on it. That and I do alot of underlining, writing and re-reading.

I read books to "unplug" from all the internet and other electronic stuff....like taking it to the park to read...or sitting outside at the coffee shop.

As for keeping books....I read them...make key notes somewhere in a journal or papers....and then pass them on to someone or the used book store. I don't keep only but maybe 5 books (reduce my own mental clutter).....other than that, I use the 1 in/1 out rule....buy a new book....then one has to go. Lately I've been using the library more to read a book and return it. Problem I found when I did keep loads of books around....I never read them. Now I keep all the important stuff noted in a journal that I can always reference back to.

Jay Cohen
05-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Renewed my Library card today, 15 bucks, took home 40 dollars of books.
Though I did order Mastery, by George Leonard, and a great book on making Sausage, from Amazon today.

Garrett Smith
05-03-2008, 05:43 PM
All that said, I do like being able to use a search function on e-books...

Nathan Stanley
05-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Can you download any digital doc to a kindle or does it have to be an Amazon.com product?