PDA

View Full Version : Cashew Butter

Craig Loizides
05-01-2008, 11:23 AM
A few years ago I had an allergic reaction to mangoes. My lips became very dried and chapped and a day or 2 later I developed a rash. I had mangoes previously without problems but they had been cut into pieces by someone else. The times (unfortunately it took 2 reactions before I associated it with mango) I had the problem I cut the mangoes myself and sucked every last drop out of the skins. It turns out that the skins of mangoes contain urushiol which is the same toxin in poison ivy. People who are very sensitive to poison ivy often react to mangoes as well.

I had a similar reaction a few days ago although not quite as bad. The only new food in my diet was cashew butter. I did a quick search and to my surprise cashews and pistachios are in the same family as mangoes. The strange thing is I've eaten cashews and pistachios lots of times without any noticeable problems, but this was the first time I had cashew butter. The toxin is supposed to only be in the shell and roasting is supposed to destroy it. I guess some managed to get into the butter. I think I'll just avoid all cashews and pistachios in the future. Has anyone else had a problem with cashew butter? Does anyone know of any other foods containing urushiol? My list of foods to avoid so far is mango, cashew, and pistachio.

Garrett Smith
05-01-2008, 12:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacardiaceae

Mike ODonnell
05-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Was it "RAW" or "ROASTED" nut butter? Personally I got rid of the nut butters (was doing Almond mostly) for removal of excess PUFAs....feel 100x better and notice much less inflammation issues.

Craig Loizides
05-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Dr. G -
I saw that list yesterday. The only items in that list that I recognized were mango, cashew, pistachio, poison ivy, and sumac.

MOD-
It was cashew butter made from dry roasted cashews. Actually, I don't think you can get "raw" cashews because of the toxin issue. Do you avoid nuts or just nut butters. I don't do much of either. A couple tbsp of almond butter 2 nights a week and a couple handfuls of almonds or pecans 1 or 2 times a week.

Mike ODonnell
05-01-2008, 02:25 PM
It was cashew butter made from dry roasted cashews. Actually, I don't think you can get "raw" cashews because of the toxin issue. Do you avoid nuts or just nut butters. I don't do much of either. A couple tbsp of almond butter 2 nights a week and a couple handfuls of almonds or pecans 1 or 2 times a week.

I tend to do no nuts really nowadays....more fats from sat and MUFA. Roasting is an issue with any nuts....even almonds and walnuts, raw butter is best. But then again...I feel better with less PUFA intake, so really don't do nuts that much anymore.

Jane Michel
05-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Was it "RAW" or "ROASTED" nut butter? Personally I got rid of the nut butters (was doing Almond mostly) for removal of excess PUFAs....feel 100x better and notice much less inflammation issues.

Mike do you notice much inflammation with raw nuts as well? I don't get rash but seem to get bloating with raw and roasted nuts, especially cashews.

Mike ODonnell
05-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Mike do you notice much inflammation with raw nuts as well? I don't get rash but seem to get bloating with raw and roasted nuts, especially cashews.

Yes as I was eating a ton of raw almond butter back in the day. As for bloating...well your gut may be trying to tell you something....(or were you talking about whole body bloating...aka retaining water?)

Jane Michel
05-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Mike I noticed some water retention around my upper neck/lower chin area but it was particularly bad at the lower abdominal area.... does that mean allergy problems?

Garrett Smith
05-02-2008, 06:26 AM
I think MOD should just go to ND school and get it over with...:D I'll write the first recommendation letter!

Alicia, your symptoms do sound like a food hypersensitivity issue. You have mainly two choices to figure out what it is--strict avoidance and re-introduction, or a high-quality food sensitivity/allergy blood test. The first takes a lot of planning and self-discipline and is "free", the second is done pretty much for you and costs several hundred dollars. If you want to do the second one, I utilize Alcat http://www.alcat.com/, PM me if you are interested.

I've just never felt good on cashews of any type.

Mike ODonnell
05-02-2008, 06:55 AM
I think MOD should just go to ND school and get it over with...:D I'll write the first recommendation letter!

Why....they serve Guinness there??? Ha. Thanks...but I am soooooo done with school....unless it's all female and I sneak in....

Mike ODonnell
05-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Mike I noticed some water retention around my upper neck/lower chin area but it was particularly bad at the lower abdominal area.... does that mean allergy problems?

I'd say anytime the body rebels like that....it's trying to send you a message. If you feel better without them....then go without them.

Greg Davis
05-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Mike: have you replaced nuts with anything in particular to keep calories up? Or are you just finding meat + veggies + fats are doing you just fine? If I recall correctly you mostly eat a moderate sized lunch and large dinner..

Mike ODonnell
05-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Mike: have you replaced nuts with anything in particular to keep calories up? Or are you just finding meat + veggies + fats are doing you just fine? If I recall correctly you mostly eat a moderate sized lunch and large dinner..

I got rid of chicken pretty much and now eat more read meat. (the days of almond butter were when I ate a ton of chicken and not much red meat....thinking that was the "healthy" way) Just more sat (butter anyone?) and MUFA fat sources. I up the carbs at night for the most part too....since it is a larger dinner for me and I could find myself eating out. Trying to find the happy medium of keeping healthy while keeping a social life. I'm about to try a gain cycle and looking into whether I can tolerate whole fat goats milk (as cow's milk messes up my breathing)....although it is damn expensive.

Jane Michel
05-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks for your advice Garrett and Mike. Before this thread I searched on this board and the CF boards for "nuts" and "bloating" but couldn't find anything and thought maybe nuts couldn't do that. But now I know cashews are dangerous :p

Mike ODonnell
05-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks for your advice Garrett and Mike. Before this thread I searched on this board and the CF boards for "nuts" and "bloating" but couldn't find anything and thought maybe nuts couldn't do that. But now I know cashews are dangerous :p

Not sure they are "dangerous"...but just listen to your body...it will know best...if you feel better without something...then chances are you shouldn't be eating it for whatever reason that may be.

Scott Kustes
05-04-2008, 10:25 AM
I took this mango information into consideration when eating a mango today. I didn't try to get all of the flesh off of the skin...just cut what I could off and went to work on that.