PDA

View Full Version : 21 days on the zone and getting frustrated

chris adams
05-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Hey all! I'm new to the performance menu forum. I'm so glad I found it. This is great stuff and reading everyones experiences is very helpful.

However, in starting the zone I have become frustrated:mad: and could really use some advice.

I'm hungry all the time. I do not feel satisfied for any meal for more than 2 hours.

Here's some background info

31 yo M 6'2"
200 lbs at 10% BF (estimated with wrist/waist measurements)
suppose to be on 21 blocks
follow the WOD on the mainsite and will sometimes throw in an extra workout later in the day (yoga, another wod, specific skills or lifting, firefighter training)

I've stuck to strick WAM. I've kept a food journal for my entire experience.

I DL'ed 42 ways to skin the zone and tried decreasing one C block per meal and upping the F block x3. This seems to be helping my mental focus a bit but I'm still hungry all the time.

I've tried upping my fat to x2 daily requirements and this doesn't seem to help satisfy at all.

Has anyone fought this battle and do you have any suggestions? I feel good about what I'm eating. I have dropped 2%BF since starting. My performance does not seem to be overall affected neg or pos. I want to continue but I also want to feel satisfied by my meals.

Thank you very much!

Mike ODonnell
05-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm hungry all the time. I do not feel satisfied for any meal for more than 2 hours.

Not going to argue that the zone doesn't work...as it works great....BUT....what you listed above is one of the many reasons I can't stand it. (that and the whole OCD complex about blocks and 1/4 an apple...etc).

That being said, zone can be a great learning and starting tool on what to eat.

Many find the simple Paleo method to work below:
Meals - Meat, Veggies, Healthy Fats (or fruits in the AM)
Meals PWO - Meat/Carbs (healthy sources...aka no sugars)
Snack - Nuts/fruits (lower GI ones)

Anyways....not a zone solution but just giving you another eating style....if you can stick with the zone and keep your sanity it will give you good results....

Of course IF is another way people enjoy....mainly because of the lifestyle of being able to enjoy your foods...or that is my main reason....still have to eat healthy of course.

chris adams
05-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Mike:

thanks for the reply!

Right now I don't mind the WAM. I feel that it has actually been good for me. The hardest part for me is figuring out carb blocks. Putting together salads for example.

I may end up going the way you suggest. Once I've exhausted all ideas. LOL I suppose our ancient ancestors didn't weigh and measure their buffalo after they ate it.

I'm not ready to give up yet though.

as for IF.... I have just begun to research it. Any suggestions on where to find good info for someone unfamiliar with the method?

Mike ODonnell
05-01-2008, 03:46 PM
as for IF.... I have just begun to research it. Any suggestions on where to find good info for someone unfamiliar with the method?

seriously?........

this link (http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog/2008/02/27/intermittent-fasting-101-how-to-start-part-i/)will help...I hear the guy talks out of his ass most of the time but can give some decent info....

Garrett Smith
05-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Minimize fruit and starchy carbs, maximize non-starchy carbs.

Or you could try Robb Wolf's approach of swapping carbs and fat within the Zone parameters...

Gant Grimes
05-02-2008, 01:44 PM
You're probably not eating enough. Most CFers use .7 for the multiplier. It should be closer to .85 or .9 (I use 1.0).

I talked to some guys about this today. I don't Zone anymore, but it was an invaluable learning experience. For many CFers, the Zone is a great idea, as it's your first foray into a planned nutrition program (vs. a fad diet). It's also the first time for many to observe caloric restriction in their programs. The WAM is necessary to get an idea of what proportions should really be (and why people that eat at restaurants eat too damn much). By the time you're sick of eating so many carbs--and sick of the OCD WAM--you start looking at fat substition, Paleo, IF, and some other things to fine tune your program. At this point you're able to find out what works for you (from nutritional and enjoyment aspects). But it's hard to get there without the initial beating of a weighed and measured diet and the craziness (sugar detox, hunger pangs) that goes with it. Go to 23 blocks. Good luck!

chris adams
05-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Gant: thanks for the input! You are right! The WAM has been a very valuable experience. I 1) didn't realize how much I snacked all the time and 2) now have a better idea of portions and how little vegetables I was really eating.

I'm going to move up to 23 and give it a shot. It makes sense that if my body is still hungry I should feed it.

I'm upping fat blocks to 3x today to see how that makes me feel. tommorrow 23 blocks.

Garret: I tried decreasing my carb blocks by one and swapping with 3 more F blocks. It did seem to help my mental focus but I was still constantly hungry.

On a side note I was way gassed out on Murph today. I finished in 43:50 (sub 200 ring pushups for reg) and feel that I could have done a lot better. Didn't have the energy...either from nutrition, lack of sleep or both.

chris adams
05-04-2008, 07:13 AM
So the last couple days I've tried x3 fat blocks combined with dropping one carb block and subbing 3 fat blocks (ex: 5 block meal = 18 fat blocks) to see how that helps. It seems to be helping with my hunger cravings.

My energy hasn't been 100% but I'm also coming of a 3 week caffeine/workoutdrink binge. Gotta let the adrenals recharge.

thanks to everyone who has given me suggestions and input!