PDA

View Full Version : Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer

Garrett Smith
05-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Duuuuuude...sweet. (JK :p )

Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer (http://www.worldhealth.net/news/large_study_finds_no_link_between_mariju)

But after controlling for tobacco, alcohol and other drug use as well as matching patients and controls by age, gender and neighborhood, marijuana did not seem to have an effect, despite its unhealthy aspects. "Marijuana is packed more loosely than tobacco, so there's less filtration through the rod of the cigarette, so more particles will be inhaled," Tashkin says. "And marijuana smokers typically smoke differently than tobacco smokers; they hold their breath about four times longer allowing more time for extra fine particles to deposit in the lungs."

I'm sure the nicotine in tobacco, along with the other bajillion addictive chemicals they add to the mix, along with curing the tobacco in *sugar*, has nothing to do with the difference in cancer between conventional tobacco cigarettes and doobies. Geesh. Have fun with this one!

Dave Van Skike
05-08-2008, 03:05 PM
refreshingly good news.

Mike ODonnell
05-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Everyone knows it's the damn munchies that are dangerous....

Derek Weaver
05-09-2008, 04:45 PM
true. I remember hearing a radio show once where someone said it's not the hippy lettuce that's killing people, but the 3 or 4 bags of doritos that get plowed through after.

Yael Grauer
05-10-2008, 08:12 AM
No lung cancer, maybe, but marijuana is still a calcium inhibitor and THC still builds up in the brain tissues, dramatically increases melatonin levels, and causes irreversible brain damage (see Professor Hardin B Jones of the University of California at Berkeley's book Sensual Drugs published by Cambridge University Pres). He compares brain damage from marijuana to alcohol and marijuana used daily causes brain damage sooner (in just three years) including cerebral atrophy., widening of synaptic clefts in the brain, disintegration of brain never cells and deposits of inclusion bodies in the nuclei of brain nerve cells. He says the structural damage is similar to posioning the brain with toxic chemicals like carbon tetrachloriede

John P. Walsh
05-15-2008, 08:29 AM
No lung cancer, maybe, but marijuana is still a calcium inhibitor and THC still builds up in the brain tissues, dramatically increases melatonin levels, and causes irreversible brain damage (see Professor Hardin B Jones of the University of California at Berkeley's book Sensual Drugs published by Cambridge University Pres). He compares brain damage from marijuana to alcohol and marijuana used daily causes brain damage sooner (in just three years) including cerebral atrophy., widening of synaptic clefts in the brain, disintegration of brain never cells and deposits of inclusion bodies in the nuclei of brain nerve cells. He says the structural damage is similar to posioning the brain with toxic chemicals like carbon tetrachloriede

Dude…that brain damage thing you were talking about…it’s like….wait…what were we talking about?

Paul Findley
05-15-2008, 08:49 AM
If your looking for a drug that does not significantly harm the body, try heroin. Just be careful of the lifestyle choices that go along with it (robbing people on the street for cash, sharing needles, sleeping on hiways etc.) and try to remember to eat and breathe.

Dave Van Skike
05-15-2008, 09:50 AM
If your looking for a drug that does not significantly harm the body, try heroin. Just be careful of the lifestyle choices that go along with it (robbing people on the street for cash, sharing needles, sleeping on hiways etc.) and try to remember to eat and breathe.

True Knowledge. I still say modern medicine has given us many fine things. Finest among them are the Opiods.

I recommend this book as the best primer on organic chemistry (for we non-science dorks) and on the various effects adn side effects of mind altering drugs. Very even handed. Should be required reading in high schools.

reviewed here...

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/156/1/154a

Garrett Smith
05-15-2008, 02:17 PM
A neuropsychopharmacologist once told me that there were no negative effects in the brain from mescaline. This was ~10 years ago.

Dave Van Skike
05-15-2008, 02:37 PM
I haven't noticed any.

Jamila Bey
05-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Can anyone find me some research about marijuana and its effects on breastmilk?

JUST KIDDING!!!

I (even until today) haven't been one of the "cool kids." We debate nerds had to be super sharp- and I wasn't willing to give up even a single advantage!

Gant Grimes
05-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Can anyone find me some research about marijuana and its effects on breastmilk?

http://www.hyperorg.com/gifs/magicmarker.jpg

Adam Noble
05-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Please tell me there is a reaction shot of the mother, I can't stop laughing.

Jamila Bey
05-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Gant,

Dude you owe me another snapple! I was drinking, spit half out across the room and laughed so hard I knocked the entire bottle over!

Maybe that's what my mother means when she tells me "You just wait!"

Garrett Smith
05-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Jamila,
If you are still interested in the research (as if Gant's wasn't enough), go here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez and do a search under "marijuana breast milk". There's plenty to go by.